Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know you've worked hard enough?

Options
  • 30-03-2015 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

I've often taken the success of my exercise (mostly a mix of calisthenics and compound lifts) as the pain I feel the next day. I don't mean aching joints or 'bad' pain in general but sore muscles and tendons. As a result I'm often switching routines as soon as my muscles don't get sore but it's occurred to me that I'm basing this on nothing whatsoever - is there any truth to it? Is muscle soreness the only sign of a good workout? If not, how can I tell that I'm doing enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Muscle soreness isn't the sign of a good workout.
    Hard work and progress are the signs of a good workout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah definitely don't take doms as a good indicator. Make progress and lift heavier, then you're working hard enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're switching that often, yo're probably not giving your body time to adapt improve.

Best measures are;

> How you look

> How you perform

Are you dropping fat / gaining muscle?

Are you getting stronger / fitter on some reproducible tests (eg 5k run, 500m row, max squat)?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

this is by no way a scientific way to know. but i always know when i have trained hard as i get the smell of very strong ammonia.
    someone once said that this is very bad for my muscles. but what doesnt kill ya makes ya stronger..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dinorebel

this is by no way a scientific way to know. but i always know when i have trained hard as i get the smell of very strong ammonia.
    someone once said that this is very bad for my muscles. but what doesnt kill ya makes ya stronger..
    Is that not just an indicator of peeing yourself?

• Advertisement

dinorebel wrote: »
    Is that not just an indicator of peeing yourself?

I'm not so sure. Your clearly an expert on pissing yourself. So I'll listen to your vast knowledge of ammonia sniffing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I can think of a lot of things that won't kill you but will make you weaker in fairness.

Why would you have a strong smell of ammonia? Urea in your sweat?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That's either from being dehydrated, or breaking down excessive amounts of protein.
    Neither is really goal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'm not so sure. Your clearly an expert on pissing yourself. So I'll listen to your vast knowledge of ammonia sniffing.
    I would think getting a sense of humour would help.

Brian? wrote: »
    Why would you have a strong smell of ammonia? Urea in your sweat?

According to doctor, its when ive used up my carb supply and now im taking from a bad source and that converts to an ammonia odour.

Nothing dangerous about it.
    Anyway this is Off topic for the OP.sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm always just a little disappointed if I'm not a little sore afterwards :o

I measure progress in other ways but there's nothing quite like stretching the next afternoon and feeling that little reminder that yesterday's workout was a tough one.

Of course I also find that a muscle that gets worked frequently won't get doms however hard I push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm always just a little disappointed if I'm not a little sore afterwards :o

It's so tempting to add a "That's what she said".

But I'm better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Well I have to say my compound lifts haven't progressed at all really. I've been deadlifting 90kg for a couple months, overhead pressing 32.5kg and squatting 40kg (!). With the squats I started a comprehensive hip stretching routine which has vastly improved my form and depth but as a result I've had to knock the weight right back. I just can't seem to up the weight without starting to rock forward when I thrust upwards. I could probably do with dropping some weight off the deadlifts too, my technique isn't too great. The only thing I've progressed with is pull-ups and push-ups. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll see what I get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Whiskey Nose 14

When ur body tells u that u cant go on. Thats normally hard enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nulekung

Poses little change To live a simple and relaxing anywhere.
    Anyone know what the other repeatedly , then why not let the body looks the same position all day . The stretching exercises with simple gestures . Well done on a daily basis .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

nulekung wrote: »
    Poses little change To live a simple and relaxing anywhere.
    Anyone know what the other repeatedly , then why not let the body looks the same position all day . The stretching exercises with simple gestures . Well done on a daily basis .

What? :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Looks like markov chain generated spam

aka shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

When ur body tells u that u cant go on. Thats normally hard enough for me

Yes I've always thought death was a good sign of progress.

I think it's harder to know with squats because it's so easy to adjust to a bad form, tip forward and carry on lifting. Same with deadlifts. I don't do bicep curls anymore but it's fairly straightforward figuring out your biceps are toast

Valmont wrote: »
    I think it's harder to know with squats because it's so easy to adjust to a bad form, tip forward and carry on lifting. Same with deadlifts. I don't do bicep curls anymore but it's fairly straightforward figuring out your biceps are toast

Same with deadlift? The deadlift can't be cheated.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Sure, just tip forward and lift it again

What I mean is while I can lift 80kg right now I don't think my form is very good. Although I pushed my feet further under the bar today and it made a big difference. I think I might need some gloves, too, my hands keep slipping off the bar when I'm doing sets of five or six.

I realised also why I could only squat 40kg - I was doing 'pause' squats where I stopped at the bottom to make sure I was all straight. I tried going straight down and up today and did 5x5 with 50kg quite easily. We'll see if I'm sore tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What I mean is while I can lift 80kg right now I don't think my form is very good. Although I pushed my feet further under the bar today and it made a big difference. I think I might need some gloves, too, my hands keep slipping off the bar when I'm doing sets of five or six.
    you need chalk! :)

I realised also why I could only squat 40kg - I was doing 'pause' squats where I stopped at the bottom to make sure I was all straight. I tried going straight down and up today and did 5x5 with 50kg quite easily. We'll see if I'm sore tomorrow!

I mean this constructively, so please don't take offence. You need more than tweaks, you need coaching or instruction. Foot placement is a fundamental part of the deadlift and should be learned on day 1.

If nothing else, vide your deadlift and squat and throw them up here.

they/them/theirs

I can't video myself in the gym but I have a few free personal trainer sessions I'll cash in to learn the ropes. There is a big mirror - I know how bad my deadlift is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Because I am in the chipper

Advertisement