Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't TG4 use second audio stream in English ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

icdg wrote: »
    But some people do, and they are licence fee/taxpayers too. Do they deserve to be punished with a lesser service for their licence fee/taxes for having taken up Sky. Whatever about TV3 & UTV, RTE and TG4 have a duty to be platform neutral wherever possible. Of course the reality is that due to the unsustainable pricing structure adopted for Saorview, companies other than RTE (who ultimately get their money back) are finding it uneconomic to launch new services on it.

But ICDG, Platform neutrality has nothing to do with this discussion. In any event each PSB's primary responsibility is ensuring its availability free to air to the island, not free to view.

An individual's private subscription is between them and the pay company, so in the case of Sky customers they take their complaints to Sky.

Case in point RTE1 HD. Why arent Sky providing that to their customers ? Thats how its broadcast natively, on Saorview. Under the must offer/must carry rule of Section 77 of Broadcasting Act "re-transmission” is defined as near-simultaneous, unaltered and unabridged transmission. It wont become or be made an issue until Sky replace all their long suffering customers who have cheap proprietary SD boxes with HD boxes though, will it :) So I doubt they will be shouting about platform neutrality when it appears that the cannot hold up their end of the must carry obligations.

As regarding the economics of Saorview, the simple point is that commercial companies dont belong on a PSB mux and there are no commercial muxes. RTE will never recover their money that they ploughed into the platform.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

STB. wrote: »
    But ICDG, Platform neutrality has nothing to do with this discussion.

You're absolutely right, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is an entirely separate discussion for a different forum really.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Could they not offer the facility to provide background sound only (i.e. without the Irish commentary)? We could watch it in peace then without the grating commentary. I'm not against the Irish language at all (in fact I'm the proud owner of a Fainne) but the guttural Gaeltacht Irish is too much for me (By the way, I always thought the Irish for again was arís and not arísht). TG4 seem to revel in picking the most unattractive sounding commentators and analysts for their rugby and GAA broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Could they not offer the facility to provide background sound only (i.e. without the Irish commentary)? We could watch it in peace then without the grating commentary. I'm not against the Irish language at all (in fact I'm the proud owner of a Fainne) but the guttural Gaeltacht Irish is too much for me (By the way, I always thought the Irish for again was arís and not arísht). TG4 seem to revel in picking the most unattractive sounding commentators and analysts for their rugby and GAA broadcasts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement