Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken foot

Options
  • 28-03-2015 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place (mods please move if it isn't) but basically I broke my foot today as in there is a little piece of bone from the top of my little toe disconnected.

Now I'm not actually looking for medical advice but next week I'm going to have to talk to someone about surgery. Just wondering what are your experinces vs letting it heal naturally? I'm just not even sure where to start and don't want to be pressured/coerced into surgery..

Thanks in advance
    -S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Stinjy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place (mods please move if it isn't) but basically I broke my foot today as in there is a little piece of bone from the top of my little toe disconnected.

Now I'm not actually looking for medical advice but next week I'm going to have to talk to someone about surgery. Just wondering what are your experinces vs letting it heal naturally? I'm just not even sure where to start and don't want to be pressured/coerced into surgery..

Thanks in advance
    -S

Doctors will not "coerce" you into anything!! They will tell you what is recommended for your injury. They are the expert not you.

Nobody here can say what should be done, even if someone here was an orthopaedic surgeon they couldn't judge with out seeing your images.

If you don't want medical help then leave it and live with deformity!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Stinjy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks in advance
    -S

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding your post.

why must you speak to anyone about surgery?

Just go to your GP and get referred for an x-ray.

The x-ray will confirm if it's broken and secondly allow the medical professionals to advise you on your best course of treatment.

If it is broke it could only require a strapping up but you will be advised of this after the x-ray has been viewed.

I doubt you'll get specific advice regarding your injury here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I know where you are coming form. Years ago, I smashed myself up and an orthopaedic surgeon talked me into getting an operation for an injury that is usually just left to heal by itself. I was going to write out a big story, but I don't think most of it is very relevant. In short: I was sceptical, I got the surgery, for a while I felt like I made the wrong decision, now I think I made the right one. One relevant thing I learned though, is that most orthopaedic surgeons have no shortage of work, and they are more likely to fob you off telling you you don't need something done, than they are to try and talk you into getting unnecessary surgery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Any doctor I've been to tells me outright if they think I should do nothing, and when I went in with a suspected broken toe it was referred for an xray. By that stage I'd left it very late and it was healed enough already so there was no treatment.

Nevermind the surgery talk - go to your GP, ask what the story is, you'll be referred for an xray and they'll discuss possible treatment options with you.
    I really doubt they will push you into anything you don't want

Advertisement