Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Case We Can't Mention.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

The MCD thing was exceptional and kinda understandable though.

Agree with you there, I was just making a point.
    That's not really the case here. There are countless threads started about people who have just been convicted of crimes and this worry about appeals processes etc is never used as justification for completely shutting down discussion.
    So why shut this one down when a conviction has been passed, the only thing to come is sentencing, there's nothing going to be said here that can have any impact on the judges decision.
    Anyway, imo any thread would turn to shit in no time. I'm actually kind of appalled by how it's being discussed and picked over in mainstream media. Some idiots on NewsTalk earlier moaning about a headline in the Irish Times yet spending an hour discussing the same thing!

I don't think that just because vultures like that are talking about it that Boards should necessarily allow it here.

Really people are just voicing their dismay, that's perfectly natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Ok. Now I am understanding.

"waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/10/26/i-had-it-all-then-i-blew-itsacked-boards-ie-moderator-tells-all/"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Ok. Now I am understanding.

"waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/10/26/i-had-it-all-then-i-blew-itsacked-boards-ie-moderator-tells-all/"

haha! Sometimes that WW site hits the nail on the head!

heres the actual link though! http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/10/26/i-had-it-all-then-i-blew-itsacked-boards-ie-moderator-tells-all/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Deank wrote: »
    Agree with you there, I was just making a point.

So why shut this one down when a conviction has been passed, the only thing to come is sentencing, there's nothing going to be said here that can have any impact on the judges decision.

.....going on the sunday papers that mention it, the word "restraint" seems to have been redefined for the moment.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/03/29/de-sunday-papers-101/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Anyway, imo any thread would turn to shit in no time. I'm actually kind of appalled by how it's being discussed and picked over in mainstream media. Some idiots on NewsTalk earlier moaning about a headline in the Irish Times yet spending an hour discussing the same thing!

I don't think that just because vultures like that are talking about it that Boards should necessarily allow it here.
    +1

The reason many of us actually enjoy posting here is because it isn't full of the unmoderated sh1te you get elsewhere.

The legal concerns are obviously unnecessary, but as others have said, it's a matter of principle. Just because people are legally entitled to shoot their mouth off, doesn't make it a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He's probably blown his chances of getting a bump to C mod level now....:cool:

conorh91 wrote: »
    +1

The reason many of us actually enjoy posting here is because it isn't full of the unmoderated sh1te you get elsewhere.

The legal concerns are obviously unnecessary, but as others have said, it's a matter of principle. Just because people are legally entitled to shoot their mouth off, doesn't make it a good idea.

Conor, this isn't the point the majority of dissenters to this "silencing" are trying to make. It is the general legal concerns the moderators are claiming to have been instructed to abide by that people are bewildered/curious about. Personally I don't have much more to add to this ghastly case apart from discussing certain court procedures related to the trial and the Gardai investigation. But people who are questioning Boards stance on their position (which is the perogative of Boards authorities, no question) are simply questioning why the moderators were put into this position without proper legal source for them to explain to members who wish to discuss this and any other case post TRIAL.

I actually feel for the mods on this one as most of them wouldn't be versed in the ramifications of Trial discussion but the site should have readied themselves for this period and set up a thread explaining their decision to halt discussion until further notice and give a valid reason. And most would agree the sub judice rule at this juncture doesn't apply. or else every single other media outlet in Ireland is liable for a lawsuit considering the discussion of the case.

If you halted free speech on every topic just because it isn't a "good idea" and some may get offended/hurt by discussion we would live in a very subdued society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

people who are questioning Boards stance on their position (which is the perogative of Boards authorities, no question) are simply questioning why the moderators were put into this position without proper legal source for them to explain to members who wish to discuss this and any other case post TRIAL.
    I don't want to offend anyone working at Boards HQ but I suspect it's a ship on an extremely tight budget. I'd seriously doubt it's an outfit who can afford to circulate internal memos from counsel on the finer points of media law and the criminal process. Tbh, I'd doubt an opinion has been formally sought at all, except maybe casually. Companies like this tend to be instinctively conservative because they cannot afford not to be.

Maybe as the legal reality becomes clearer in the coming days, that will change.

conorh91 wrote: »
    I don't want to offend anyone working at Boards HQ but I suspect it's a ship on an extremely tight budget. I'd seriously doubt it's an outfit who can afford to circulate internal memos from counsel on the finer points of media law and the criminal process. Tbh, I'd doubt an opinion has been formally sought at all, except maybe casually. Companies like this tend to be instinctively conservative because they cannot afford not to be.

Maybe as the legal reality becomes clearer in the coming days, that will change.

This is a 17 year old site Conor, with hundreds of thousands of members and millions of threads. It is one of the largest social media sites on the island. It has overseen thousands of legal trials during these years and you mean to say the management team shouldn't be articulate in what is expected of them when such trials come along? The whole "sure we will say nothing just in case" is very amateurish if you ask me.

And it isn't costly to set up a thread with their legal stance on such discussion which the Mods can refer to when they are questioned by site contributors like me and you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apparently it says in the Mail on Sunday that Dwyer was 'removed' from boards in 2007 because people found his comments offensive.

Haven't seen the actual paper myself but it shows up on PressReader.com in a Google search

picture in case the result is removed..

avgxPBs.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I read that alright, username gdwyer (original!) Apparently he got angsty about people not doing a survey or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I read that alright, username gdwyer (original!) Apparently he got angsty about people not doing a survey or something.

Definitely him alright!
    Hello, I am an Architect doing a Masters Thesis in Urban Design

So obviously the following claim is bullcrap
    He is a Boards moderator that's why it can't be discussed.

Definitely him alright!

So obviously the following claim is bullcrap

Not necessarily ... If he rejoined later, no reason his new account would have been linked to the gdwyer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

It's very eerie reading those posts now

I think unless you are 100% sure of your facts re someones identity linked to a username you should end this discussion lads. I also think it is irrelevant at this stage and with almost a half million members on boards over the years it is hardly surprising if any given person is a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I'm surprised nobody has posted in that thread he posted, to drag it back to the top.

I think unless you are 100% sure of your facts re someones identity linked to a username you should end this discussion lads

In fairness I doubt there are all that many architects with an interest in model aircraft that go by the name G Dwyer ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

He might have had another account, but I still don't see how that would be the reason for Boards not to allow discussion until after the sentencing. They are allowing discussion, just not yet.

In fairness I doubt there are all that many architects with an interest in model aircraft that go by the name G Dwyer ...

I amn't saying it isn't him. It more than likely is. And I am one of these people disputing the logic of this silencing of the Trial by Boards. But unless you are 100 % sure (which you cannot be at this point) you are verging on potentially defaming someone. Discuss it by all means but I anticipate the mods will delete it.

It is just giving the Mods stronger reasoning to keep this discussion ban up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

the conversation would be unmoderaterable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Now on RTE a "primetime special" on the case.......

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, we're now getting into speculation of Boards members real identities, which as I'm sure everyone remembers is against the Terms of Use:
    You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

* identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

The guys will be back in the office in the morning and I'm going to direct them to this thread so they can tell everyone what is and isn't permitted, but in the meantime I'm locking it to prevent any further speculation or general silliness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement