Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know..........MD1983

Options
  • 27-03-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

So, after my attempt to bore everyone to death last week, MD1983 has kindly agreed to step up this week and answer all your questions.

I suppose I should get it started.

Bucket list race, time and money no object?
    Who would you like to run like, and who do now run like?
    Who would you like to ride like, and who do now ride like?
    Who would you like to swim like, and who do now swim like?
    €2000 to spend on sport gadgetry, what would you buy?
    If you could have any coach, who would it be?
    Favourite go to session in each discipline?
    Lance vs Macca, who wins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Are you a doctor?
    Where you born in 1983?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Favourite go to run session?
    Favourite running shoe? and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Norseman or something like that, it just looks so difficult and the setting is nice

A Brownlee and i run now like an average guy, i cant pick out anybody famous who runs like me

fabien cancellara, he impresses me no end. hard to say who rides like me

in triathlon terms i would like to swim like either of the brownlees or gomez, good enough to get out in the lead bunch but not expending wasted energy off the front. not sure about who i swim like, in technique terms i would say i am not a pretty swimmer but still swim ok nevertheless

€2k wouldnt get me what i want which would be a new bike cause my one is old now. i suppose i would get a new wetsuit as i need one now that i am a bit thinner and a new TT helmet and perhaps the new garmin. i dont focus much on gear as thats not my performace limiter and if i but it its just a treat for myself

somebody who i was not friendly with who i could tell them that is was over when it didnt work out without feeling bad!

bike - turbo w/up 10*1min hard, 1 min easy, 3 mins rest, 3*8 mins hard, 4 mins rest in between, c/down = 1 hour
    Swim 1 hour - 7*400m at varying intensities and using tools as i fancy
    Run - 10*1km hard as i can

in triathlon at this stage, give each 3 months to get fit and i say Macca

tunney wrote: »
    Are you a doctor?
    Where you born in 1983?

no - tax advisor/businessman. born in 1983!

AKW wrote: »
    Favourite go to run session?
    Favourite running shoe? and why?

10*1km hard for the session, not my favourite but it is my go to!

i am relatively injury free so never really pay that much attention to my run shoes, i never really notice the difference when i change back and forth. current i have a paid of asics, not sure of the model and a pair of addidas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

What's your pb's for sprint an Olympic distance??

Any plans to go longer??

Did you get into category 1? ( seen as your in my age group and from your log a good bit faster than me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi MD1983:

1) What's your favourite run-related 3-letter acronym and why?
    2) What's your favourite bike-related 3-letter acronym and why?
    3) What's your favourite swim-related 3-letter acronym and why?
    4) Describe your best ever swim battle?
    5) How fast can you swim 100m all out this week?
    6) Why are tracker products not subject to the 1% Investment Levy Tax?

MD1983 wrote: »
    Norseman or something like that, it just looks so difficult and the setting is nice

A Brownlee and i run now like an average guy, i cant pick out anybody famous who runs like me

fabien cancellara, he impresses me no end. hard to say who rides like me

in triathlon terms i would like to swim like either of the brownlees or gomez, good enough to get out in the lead bunch but not expending wasted energy off the front. not sure about who i swim like, in technique terms i would say i am not a pretty swimmer but still swim ok nevertheless

€2k wouldnt get me what i want which would be a new bike cause my one is old now. i suppose i would get a new wetsuit as i need one now that i am a bit thinner and a new TT helmet and perhaps the new garmin. i dont focus much on gear as thats not my performace limiter and if i but it its just a treat for myself

somebody who i was not friendly with who i could tell them that is was over when it didnt work out without feeling bad!

bike - turbo w/up 10*1min hard, 1 min easy, 3 mins rest, 3*8 mins hard, 4 mins rest in between, c/down = 1 hour
    Swim 1 hour - 7*400m at varying intensities and using tools as i fancy
    Run - 10*1km hard as i can

in triathlon at this stage, give each 3 months to get fit and i say Macca

I think you need to revise your definitely of hard. I'd you can do that much hard is not hard enough

joey100 wrote: »

Any plans to go longer??

Did you get into category 1? ( seen as your in my age group and from your log a good bit faster than me!)

Joey - ill take a look tonight and try to find the PBs i dont know off the top of my head as things like that dont really stick with me

yes there are plans to go longer. i was planning on doing ironman barcelona in october and i need to decide shortly on this, i havent signed up yet but maybe i could get a cancellation or something. i was waiting to be sure that my health problems of last year/early this year had finally gone before making a decision on whether i would really commit to this or not

i didnt get into Cat 1 automatically and wouldnt apply for a dispensation although i would like to try that kind of racing as i think it would be fun. i am not under any illusions of thinking i would do well at it but i dont think i would come last either

i read your log and always think your times are similar to mine and thats why i read it to see what similar guys are doing ;-)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hi MD1983:

1) What's your favourite run-related 3-letter acronym and why?
    2) What's your favourite bike-related 3-letter acronym and why?
    3) What's your favourite swim-related 3-letter acronym and why?
    4) Describe your best ever swim battle?
    6) Why are tracker products not subject to the 1% Investment Levy Tax?

what a list! i actually dont know too many acronyms Kurt but anyway:

1) LSD
    2) FTP
    3) SCM
    4) None stick out for me Kurt, i know from your log that you do some swimming races and perhaps battling for a position is more important, if a guy starts to fight me, other than at the start of a race when i battle, i will just let him on and gladly take the draft. if the guy is a stupid c*nt who is intent on drafting me but is interfering with my stroke and generally persisting in being awkward i would either try to swim harder and lose him or swim on top of him
    5) dont know, i di dmy best ever 50m in 35 secs last week so i think i would get close to 1.20. i will try this out the next day swimming is my main session of the day and give it all
    6) tax is a funny thing, its like medicine, different advisors do different taxes so i dont know about every tax. i literally wrote the book on capital gains tax so capital taxes and family business type taxes are my forte.

i never heard of an investment levy tax, are you thinking of something else? Irish tax policy IMO is not that well thought out in certain aspects, a lot of measures are purely revenue raising rather than having any specific policy purpose, other aspects are very well planned such as incentives for non-resident companies to locate here. there may be no specific logic for why one thing is taxed and another is not, it could be that the thing that is not taxed would not raise that much revenue and therefore they didnt bother with it

• Advertisement

I think you need to revise your definitely of hard. I'd you can do that much hard is not hard enough

why?

i suppose i could be more descriptive of what i do. the effort i describe as hard is something that i could do the number of times listed like 10 in this case but probably not much more than that. then again i didnt say very hard or extremely hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

what a list! i actually dont know too many acronyms Kurt but anyway:

1) LSD
    2) FTP
    3) SCM
    4) None stick out for me Kurt, i know from your log that you do some swimming races and perhaps battling for a position is more important, if a guy starts to fight me, other than at the start of a race when i battle, i will just let him on and gladly take the draft. if the guy is a stupid c*nt who is intent on drafting me but is interfering with my stroke and generally persisting in being awkward i would either try to swim harder and lose him or swim on top of him
    5) dont know, i di dmy best ever 50m in 35 secs last week so i think i would get close to 1.20. i will try this out the next day swimming is my main session of the day and give it all
    6) tax is a funny thing, its like medicine, different advisors do different taxes so i dont know about every tax. i literally wrote the book on capital gains tax so capital taxes and family business type taxes are my forte.

i never heard of an investment levy tax, are you thinking of something else? Irish tax policy IMO is not that well thought out in certain aspects, a lot of measures are purely revenue raising rather than having any specific policy purpose, other aspects are very well planned such as incentives for non-resident companies to locate here. there may be no specific logic for why one thing is taxed and another is not, it could be that the thing that is not taxed would not raise that much revenue and therefore they didnt bother with it

Good answers! Except 3), which is just lazy ;) Hoped you'd expand on Early Vertical Forearm or somesuch.

5) 35 for 50 is flying; you should get under 1:20 this week. Closer to 1:15, best of luck!

6) Well I never. You are responsible for CGT thresholds etc. Expect many PM's from me over the next few years looking for free expert analysis (I'm a financial advisor). When is Parent->child CGT exemption being raised from 225K? Life-support is so expensive for many of my trust fund clients, if there's any way we can grease the wheel I'm sure a nice B2R voucher could be sorted.;)

Investment levy- if someone wants to invest in most collective funds, the Gov takes a nice 1% levy on entry. This isn't applicable to tracker-based funds, as they are considered deposit based. Probably a decision made around Cabinet table without a lot of thought, in case it impacted on people actually depositing into banks. Doesn't make sense to me (and a b*tch to explain to clients), but as you say its all about the revenue.

I'll have more Q's in a day or two!

Any plans to go longer??

Joey - on the PB's

on a full distance olympic course my best is 2.11 (ballybay OD), i probably have faster times in places like Kilkenny (for example 1.58 last year) or Athlone i think but they are courses that are not full distance/or have downstream swim/or both and kilkenny doesnt count transitions so i wouldnt count them

Sprint is 1.04 in Athy i think

Good answers! Except 3), which is just lazy ;) Hoped you'd expand on Early Vertical Forearm or somesuch.

5) 35 for 50 is flying; you should get under 1:20 this week. Closer to 1:15, best of luck!

6) Well I never. You are responsible for CGT thresholds etc. Expect many PM's from me over the next few years looking for free expert analysis (I'm a financial advisor). When is Parent->child CGT exemption being raised from 225K? Life-support is so expensive for many of my trust fund clients, if there's any way we can grease the wheel I'm sure a nice B2R voucher could be sorted.;)

Investment levy- if someone wants to invest in most collective funds, the Gov takes a nice 1% levy on entry. This isn't applicable to tracker-based funds, as they are considered deposit based. Probably a decision made around Cabinet table without a lot of thought, in case it impacted on people actually depositing into banks. Doesn't make sense to me (and a b*tch to explain to clients), but as you say its all about the revenue.

I'll have more Q's in a day or two!

Kurt - on the 35 i hit the tumble turn perfectly on it for once, i am not great at the turns yet and only turn in the deep end as i hit my head in the shallow one. chances are if i did a 100 i would miss my 2 turns and i can honestly say if i got anywhere near 1.20 i would be delighted and probably reward myself by heading to the sauna...

i think guys who follow programs or have a coach giving sessions would be good at the acronyms, even when i did go to coached sessions my eyesight is so poor i could never read the board anyway, i found the sessions a haze in terms of my sight and also i am not an early morning person so i was at the sessions in body if not fully there in spirit

i am not responsible for the thresholds or anything like that, i am not in the Revenue or DOF and work for myself, i just write the commentary for practitioners and its a way of getting work

those thresholds wont move upwards in the short term IMO, it would not be the Revenue who would be against it and indeed an increase in that threshold would be welcomed and probably availed of by almost every family in the country at some stage. politics would prevent it, can you imagine the spin put on it by SF and the rest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

going pull something from your log here

i have a major run weakness and its running at a high (for me) tempo for distances, i think comparably my ability to run short distances fast is better than my ability to run a longer distance fast.

so, curious now, 5k, 10k, HM, Marathon PBs?

i honestly cant remember the last running race i did, it could be 7 years ago so i dont know/have any PBs for running, but i would estimate:

5k around 19mins assuming its a flat course, this week i did 20mins exactly for 5.2km on a hilly loop so i think that would be a good estimate, in two duathlons recently i recently did 3.45 per km for the opening 3km and probably could do that for another 2k, so 19 mins not far off

last year the club did a 10km run TT on a dead flat 1km strip (up and down 5 times) and i did it in i think 41mins 50. i am a bit lighter this year and running better so i think i might get close to 40 mins, not far off that for sure

i wouldnt know or be able to guess half marathon or full marathon with any accuracy

IMO my running comparatively is worse than my swim and bike, in simple terms i do ok in the swim, move up on the bike and go back on the run, only 3 times in my memory have i gotten off the bike in a race and not been passed by someone, its a bit frustrating, i rarely run by anyone other than in wave start races where there is a real mix of abilities.

the statement about the comparison is based upon last year when running with the club, i would be comfortable enough running 1km or 2km with the same people, then if the session was say a 30 min run at a high tempo i would be ok for maybe up to 3km and then gradually fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi MD1983!! :)

So, what is your background in sports?
    How did you get into tri?
    How many years have you been into tri?
    Is there a triathlon race that you participated in that stands out for you in some (any) way?
    How disciplined and consistent would you say you are about training?
    Do you train to race, or race to train?
    From above:
    Anything you care to share with us about this coach thingy?
    Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, of what, and where?
    Best pickup line at a bar?
    Favorite drink if you're out and not driving?
    If you could put together your dream boards tri relay team, who would it be made up of (and you are one of the legs) and why?
    And who would comprise the boards tri relay team that your dream team would most want to crush in a race, and why?
    What are you afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Mostly been lurking myself here of late, but howdy!

-describe your best race so far
    -what is the thing that annoys you most about triathlon?
    -what grammatical error gets on your goat?
    -in 10 words or fewer, outline a long term sustainable solution to the problems in the Middle East.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the statement about the comparison is based upon last year when running with the club, i would be comfortable enough running 1km or 2km with the same people, then if the session was say a 30 min run at a high tempo i would be ok for maybe up to 3km and then gradually fade away.

ah see what you mean now...i thought you were seeing a drop off as you went up the distances i asked about. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Money no object what bike and set up would you have??

Member of a club? Train with them (if you are) or by yourself?

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks for the Qs

had a tennis court at home so played tennis every day from early until in my teens. played soccer from teens for club and school and then played on the college team for a year then for the graduate football club for a few years but nothing serious as i was working by then and work had taken over my life

really enjoyed the tennis and football and may go back to the tennis some day

How did you get into tri?
    wife and brother in law signed up for triathy and i did it too just because they were, i was seriously unfit and couldnt swim at all and i still remember fondly the surfing wetsuit i had for it. i was very heavy (95KG), fat but also big up top as i used to lift weights

How many years have you been into tri?

not sure, could be 5

Is there a triathlon race that you participated in that stands out for you in some (any) way?
    the ones that stand out most are the ones i did when it was still an achievement for me to finish one, i remember my first olympic distance race in Belmullet which is a really exposed part of the country and it blowing a gale and i still couldnt swim and just being petrified of the swim. i felt so good finishing the race, such a buzz to have overcome the swim and the rest of it and really enjoyed the group of friends who were doing tri then.

racing now is different, i am not doing it to finish anymore and i suppose the times at the end more govern my enjoyment than completion.

maybe if i did an ironman i might get the same sense of achievement as its not a distance i have done but i suspect not, it would be down to performance again

How disciplined and consistent would you say you are about training?
    very consistant and reasonably disciplined, i might sometimes not do all that i set out to do but i rarely miss a session

Do you train to race, or race to train?
    bit of both, i like training and i like racing. i suppose its more train to race as there would be no way i would do hard intervals or efforts if it was just for fun

From above:

Anything you care to share with us about this coach thingy?
    no, i suppose it was a bit of a flippant comment, i find the triathlon scene to be small and you repeatedly come across the same people so i wouldnt like any awkwardness.

looking at the question again i suppose i should have said somebody like Brett Sutton (ignoring his past for this purpose only) as i would like to live in the Alps someday and often thought of buying somewhere over there for holidays, i think he is based in Switzerland so it would suit. maybe Macca as he seems to be in Thailand now and i would also like to go there

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, of what, and where?
    no - they are not for me, each to there own

Best pickup line at a bar?
    never used one

Favorite drink if you're out and not driving?
    vodka and coke

If you could put together your dream boards tri relay team, who would it be made up of (and you are one of the legs) and why?

interesting one, i skipped off to look at the 400TT there and no one strikes me as being particularly fast, i know from peter's log that he is swimming well so i think he could swim, there was one guy last year who was 4.30 something for the 400m but i cant remember his name.

my best attribute is cycling so i would do that.

i think Zico may be the best runner on the tri forum so i would get him to run

And who would comprise the boards tri relay team that your dream team would most want to crush in a race, and why?
    i havent had any negative dealings here so far so no crushing required..!

What are you afraid of?
    heights, spiders, having a heart attack or dying while training/racing and leaving behind the wife to fend for herself

[/QUOTE]

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Mostly been lurking myself here of late, but howdy!

-describe your best race so far
    -what is the thing that annoys you most about triathlon?
    -what grammatical error gets on your goat?
    -in 10 words or fewer, outline a long term sustainable solution to the problems in the Middle East.

Love the middle east one!

best race is a tough one, i suppose the race that surprised me a bit in a good way was the first duathlon i did this year, i didnt think i was fit and feared it would not go well for me but i did ok and i enjoyed myself and proved that i was improving some. lately i think that was the best race for me

most annoying - long runs in bare feet in transition or potholes on the bike or if its really windy and the tri bars hard to control

misuse of the apostrophe, i am not a grammar policeman though

the nuclear option is sustainable for the middle east.... the place is simply beyond help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

i havent had any negative dealings here so far so no crushing required..!

This was meant as friendly rivalry for some fun. Nothing more. ;):)

Thanks for your answers! Chances are you haven't seen the last of me. :D

Money no object what bike and set up would you have??

Member of a club? Train with them (if you are) or by yourself?

If money was no object i would go off to the states to that guy i read about on slowtwitch who does the aero camp (name could be chung?) in the indoor velodrome and test loads of bikes until i found the one that i was most aero on and buy that one.

on looks alone i think i would take the Cube bike that Andreas Raelart had on Slowtwitch recently but with a Hed 3 spoke on the front. also like the BMC timemachine

i was a member of a club (t3) until i moved out of dublin and trained with the club at there run sessions only, i previously went to the swimming.

not a club member but i am near Athy Triclub and i might join them but i think i am better off training on my own for everything aside from a long bike where i enjoy company. i train with the wife regularly enough and thats good company too but she wont train for as long as i want to so she only does part of the cycle or swim etc

Hi MD1983:

Kurt - 1.19, i was fresh and gave it everything so thats the max. once i had my session done i tried again and it was 1.25 but was tired by then and a floater interfered with my turn. the best thing was i didnt go to the sauna as a reward....!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

had a tennis court at home so played tennis every day from early until in my teens.

A tennis Court :eek:........................................You posh bastard!

Favorite Movie?
    Favorite Scene from a movie?
    One race at the Olympics to attend - what would you pick?
    3 Sports personalities that you admire and 3 that you don't and why?
    Dream Date (besides the wife of course)
    Is your wife any good at triathlon?
    The O Donnells.....get them out or let them stay?

A tennis Court :eek:........................................You posh bastard!

the real posh guys had the swimming pools..... not really there was an old lawn court beside the house when my da bought the farm years ago, we dug it out and tarred it and put up fences to keep the balls in. played tennis with my da after school and in the local club, family came around at the weekends to play, it was a good social thing and i would love to go back to those days for a while anyway

i shouldnt probably mention playing croquet on the lawn so.....

Favorite Movie?
    Gladiator

Favorite Scene from a movie?

the first battle scene from gladiator and also the final death scene

One race at the Olympics to attend - what would you pick?

not triathlon, i think that would be better on the TV, i would say the 10km

3 Sports personalities that you admire and 3 that you don't and why?

Paul O'Connell - standards so high for years
    Federer - just the class to his play in the early years
    Gomez - so consistant

Dont admire
    jose Mourinho - a winner but a bit of a cheat

i need to think more about these ones, no one jumps out

i will look at this later as i have to go now to collect the wife from the train - thats a date i cant miss....!

same for the Qs below - will answer later!

If you could have a super power what would it be?

in a triathlon context i would pick either Erin Densham or Helle Fredicksen, a few pics would do a lot for this thread if only i knew how.....

indeed she is, comparably much better than me, she wins and podiums 90% of the time and she isnt really all that interested in triathlon in comparison to me!

when she is fit and interested she is a decent training partner for me

out - what do they expect? they offered the house as security for loans, any fool knows that if you dont repay your loan you lose what you offered as security at a minimum.

we can debate the rights and wrongs of what the banks did but we cant overturn what should be fundamental legal principles or else how would we have a functioning banking system...

i dont have an issue with them getting due process, we all have that right and if there was a legal flaw in the paperwork then so be it, but for me the fundamental thing is you get a loan, offer security, dont repay said loan you should expect to lose the secured asset

• Advertisement

If you could have a super power what would it be?

there are so many possibilities! only one superpower could leave me vulnerable to exploitation, i mean superman has loads and he still gets into bother

but i think i would like to control the weather, i could then blow away my enemies, do some good in the world, have good snow when i go skiing and also always have a roaring tailwind on the bike...!

Advertisement