Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOD Warning post #20 Late Late Show, March 27th

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes,I remember it running over time a good bit in Gaybos day,then the flexability was there,they weren't overly worried about cutting off a good interview so people could see A Prayer At Bedtime(or whatever came after The LLS then) on schedule.
    News headlines, national anthem and Closedown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

sligojoek wrote: »
    News headlines, national anthem and Closedown

Wow, Theresa Lowe was a cracker!

Also, never knew Late Late was on Saturdays all those years back!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fraggle Rock, The A-Team, The Late Late Show followed by Miami Vice...now thats a Saturday night line up worth staying in for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

mzungu wrote: »
    Fraggle Rock, The A-Team, The Late Late Show followed by Miami Vice...now thats a Saturday night line up worth staying in for.

wtf.. no Highway To Heaven... I refusing to take my Saturday night bath until Michael Landon is reinstated... :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

wtf.. no Highway To Heaven... I refusing to take my Saturday night bath until Michael Landon is reinstated... :mad:

Ah now...Highway to Heaven is strictly a Sunday job :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Ah now...Highway to Heaven is strictly a Sunday job :D

along with lovejoy!

None Comes remotely close to Mcgyver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNl9M5TxGC8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

That must have been the last year the Late Late Show was on Saturday? Because I remember shortly after this:

Kenny Live used to be on Saturdays.
    Dallas was on Saturdays before it often.
    Miami Vice was on Monday.

I never heard of Hawaiian Heat at all.

That must have been the last year the Late Late Show was on Saturday? Because I remember shortly after this:

kenny live began in 1988

F*cking show offs.

All we had was Late news and weather. Prayers. National anthem and Closedown

• Advertisement

kenny live began in 1988

That's correct. I did a bit of research. Saturday Live was what came before that and 1986 appears to have been the last year of Gaybo's show being on Saturdays.

sligojoek wrote: »
    F*cking show offs.

All we had was Late news and weather. Prayers. National anthem and Closedown

That would have probably being earlier than 1985. I remember there was a time when stations closed very early during the week and were later the weekend. Overall, TV was generally better and less celeb/reality culture back then too.

Yep, I only ever recall Kenny on the Saturday and Gaybo on Fridays.

Hawaiian Heat rings no bells here either....cant even be arsed to google it :D

That would have probably being earlier than 1985. I remember there was a time when stations closed very early during the week and were later the weekend. Overall, TV was generally better and less celeb/reality culture back then too.

Yep, you really knew it was past the bedtime stage when the closedown came on. I cant recall any celeb style shows either, TV was all the better for it though.

I think you're right.

Back around then we started getting BBC 1 and 2, ITV and Channel4 on a deflecter system. It was a treat to come home from work in the pub and have something to watch. Music, snooker etc. Anything bar closedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Of course, you young whippersnappers
    wouldn't remember when Ireland had only one channel, RTE, which opened at half five in the evening and closed again at eleven. Some, but not all areas could pick up an ITV channel from an aerial, but the reception was usually poor and snowy.
    .Gay and the Late Late was the highlight of the week then, and often provided the topic of conversation for the whole week in the pub.
    Truly, the past is a different country.

Yep, I only ever recall Kenny on the Saturday and Gaybo on Fridays.

Hawaiian Heat rings no bells here either....cant even be arsed to google it :D

I asked a friend. Hawaiian Heat seems to have been a shortlived cop series. Some sort of an update to the more famous Hawaii 50 perhaps and an answer to Miami Vice maybe? I remember Magnum PI was set in Hawaii and as far as I am aware this was always called that. Hawaiian Heat is probably one of the many series that did not prove to be a hit and that probably only lasted a pilot and a few episodes.

I asked a friend. Hawaiian Heat seems to have been a shortlived cop series. Some sort of an update to the more famous Hawaii 50 perhaps and an answer to Miami Vice maybe? I remember Magnum PI was set in Hawaii and as far as I am aware this was always called that. Hawaiian Heat is probably one of the many series that did not prove to be a hit and that probably only lasted a pilot and a few episodes.

For my sins I did a wiki job on it.
    Hawaiian Heat is an American drama television series that premiered on ABC on September 14, 1984. It starred Robert Ginty and Jeff McCracken as two Chicago cops who quit their jobs in the Windy City to become detectives in Hawaii. Their boss at the Honolulu Police Department was played by veteran actor Mako. Many of the episodes were directed by reclusive African-American actor/director Ivan Dixon. Only eleven episodes aired on ABC, including the pilot movie. Its theme song, "Goodbye Blues", is now used by online video producer Brad Jones as the theme for his show "80's Dan".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Heat

It sure does seem like some sub standard Miami Vice / Magnum PI hybrid, well called. Also says it ran for 11 episodes before getting the axe. One of the lead actors in it jammed with Hendrix and Johnny Lee Hooker if his wiki can be trusted.

So the burning question here is...what exactly replaced Hawaiian Heat when its 11 episode run came to a finish? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Wow, Theresa Lowe was a cracker!

Also, never knew Late Late was on Saturdays all those years back!

Tubs has had long enough, they should give Crockett a chance to present the LLS

Skid X wrote: »
    Tubs has had long enough, they should give Crockett a chance to present the LLS

Good April fools gag right there, shame its a day late. Don Johnson to host the Late Late to be joined by his trusty sidekick Edward James Olmos. I would buy that for a dollar, as that lad from Robocop once said.

• Advertisement

For my sins I did a wiki job on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Heat

It sure does seem like some sub standard Miami Vice / Magnum PI hybrid, well called. Also says it ran for 11 episodes before getting the axe. One of the lead actors in it jammed with Hendrix and Johnny Lee Hooker if his wiki can be trusted.

So the burning question here is...what exactly replaced Hawaiian Heat when its 11 episode run came to a finish? :P

Probably McGyver or one of these?? That certainly was on Saturdays at this time but maybe not as early as 1985?

Probably McGyver or one of these?? That certainly was on Saturdays at this time but maybe not as early as 1985?

From what I recall Mcguyver was 1987 or 1988 onwards on RTE 1 from 7-8pm or 8-9pm. Hawaiian Heat may have been a filler in between series Miami Vice, so that could have replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,857 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

From what I recall Mcguyver was 1987 or 1988 onwards on RTE 1 from 7-8pm or 8-9pm

AUNT SELMA HAS ONE HOUR TO LIVE

From what I recall Mcguyver was 1987 or 1988 onwards on RTE 1 from 7-8pm or 8-9pm. Hawaiian Heat may have been a filler in between series Miami Vice, so that could have replaced it.

I'd think the same with McGyver. I think I recall Mission Impossible and a Star Trek series on at some stage too at that time Saturdays?

I think Miami Vice was always on later as it had very adult content. A great series far ahead of its time, it would not have been allowed on before 9 then or even now. We must also recall then that native Irish drama would be more the Glenroe than Love/Hate but that said and done, all US shows were shown. Interestingly enough, many of the more violent episodes of Miami Vice were never shown on Irish TV at the time. One of these ironically was called Asian Cut, all about a respectable professional with a dark side (killing prostitutes ritualistically with a knife).

It's quite hard to get old RTE schedules online. There are a few listed here, but none from 1983

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/?id=6:ca

The BBC launched a searchable archive for their old listings recently, which is a great source of information

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

It would be nice to have an Irish equivalent.

Skid X wrote: »
    It's quite hard to get old RTE schedules online. There are a few listed here, but none from 1983

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/?id=6:ca

The BBC launched a searchable archive for their old listings recently, which is a great source of information

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

It would be nice to have an Irish equivalent.

It would be interesting to see how similar to today these were. While today's TV is dominated by reality TV, I think game shows were the equivalent back then. There was one with Twink called Charades (as far as I know that was the name) on a Friday in the early evening. Mike Murphy doing quizzes and 'candid camera' was also very common.

Also, when did the Closedown End? I miss certain aspects of this. It was nice and personal to have someone saying goodnight and thanks for watching, also it was good to see a list of highlights for the next day. I think this could STILL be done around 12 or so after major programmes end. E.g. After the Late Late Show or Saturday Night Show.

I'd think the same with McGyver. I think I recall Mission Impossible and a Star Trek series on at some stage too at that time Saturdays?

Mission Impossible, the 80s reboot aired in the 1989/1990 season. When that was cancelled then they started showing the 1960s version instead, that was from 8-9pm Saturdays. Star Trek TNG aired sometime around 1991 onwards if memory serves.
    I think Miami Vice was always on later as it had very adult content. A great series far ahead of its time, it would not have been allowed on before 9 then or even now. We must also recall then that native Irish drama would be more the Glenroe than Love/Hate but that said and done, all US shows were shown. Interestingly enough, many of the more violent episodes of Miami Vice were never shown on Irish TV at the time. One of these ironically was called Asian Cut, all about a respectable professional with a dark side (killing prostitutes ritualistically with a knife).

Yep, your right there, it was later in the evening, I think possibly 9:30 on Sundays or Mondays. It does not surprise me one bit that they edited the show to pieces. That plotline for Asian Cut would not have gone down well in 80s Ireland, in fact id say if RTE aired something like that all involved would be shown the door fairly pronto!
    It would be interesting to see how similar to today these were. While today's TV is dominated by reality TV, I think game shows were the equivalent back then. There was one with Twink called Charades (as far as I know that was the name) on a Friday in the early evening. Mike Murphy doing quizzes and 'candid camera' was also very common.

Also, when did the Closedown End? I miss certain aspects of this. It was nice and personal to have someone saying goodnight and thanks for watching, also it was good to see a list of highlights for the next day. I think this could STILL be done around 12 or so after major programmes end. E.g. After the Late Late Show or Saturday Night Show.

This times a million. Its one thing that strikes me watching the closedowns on YouTube, they were usually delivered in a genuinely warm and pleasant manner. A nice way to finish off the day, things like that just do not exist on TV these days. Call me crazy....but I think we were all far better off when TV ended at the ungodly hour of 11:30pm:P

There was a recent chat about closedown here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057391245
    I agree, it would give a bit of character to the station and make it look a little different from the hundreds of other channels which exist on satellite and cable.

I would love to see more quizzes back again. They were always popular on RTE but they have gone out of fashion. I think something like Challenging Times or Know Your Sport would do well now. That charades one was called 'Play The Game'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_the_Game_%28Irish_game_show%29 It must have been the cheapest programmes ever, although it lasted for 10 years.

• Advertisement

I forgot to post this last week, Sharleen (who was on the show last Friday) doing one of the best covers ever

Advertisement