Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hook speaks out after receiving hate mail.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

K4t wrote: »
    Is it abusive? Is it a once off letter or one of many, which could then perhaps constitute continuous abuse? If we started arresting and charging everyone for an abusive post, text or email in this context, then half the country would be guilty! It's quite funny imo, the opening line is a classic.

George handles it well, and gives back as good as he gets. No need for the law here.

Beyond abusive.More in the realm of a Psycho movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Some people are ****ing arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Was that not Clint in Unforgiven?
    Could have been. It's a great line. Hate, hate speech, hate mail etc. will always exist. The great thing about it is you can either ignore it, highlight it and condemn it like George has done, or even give a little hate back. Hate speech = Speech I hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's not all the poster said. According to the line immediately prior to the part you quoted:

The writer wanted her to take the maximum amount of maternity leave or not return to TV at all.

I can well imagine that if you're lying in a hospital bed after delivering seven pounds of baby through your body, you'd see red too. I'm not a big Claire Byrne fan but I wouldn't criticize her for quietly taking that poster aside.

I'm a programmer and people have often said my code was the worst sh-it they've ever seen and I'm an idiot, and I brushed it off. criticism happens of your professional work. i'm male so I dunno what the equivalent of the maternity leave insult is.

kneemos wrote: »
    Beyond abusive.More in the realm of a Psycho movie.
    Nah not really though. The reactions here are hilarious however. Nearly equal to Hook's rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I'm a programmer and people have often said my code was the worst sh-it they've ever seen and I'm an idiot, and I brushed it off. criticism happens of your professional work. i'm male so I dunno what the equivalent of the maternity leave insult is.
    I was burgled last year and I didn't bother reporting it. Herself left a window open, they did no damage, and I know I'd only be wasting Garda time.

Relevance? None. It has no bearing at all on how others should react to the same crime.

The fact that you personally wouldn't take offence is irrelevant to people in her position. Especially so if you've never been in her (post-childbirth, high public profile) position.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nah not really though. The reactions here are hilarious however. Nearly equal to Hook's rant.

If it was received by a vulnerable person it could be extremely damaging is the point he was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Good response from him.He is giving the letter to the cops.Jasus some people must have nothing to do with their lives to resort to that crap.

The Gardaí might be a better bet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Deserve aint got nothing to do with it ~

Was that not Clint in Unforgiven?

It was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Am I the only one who thinks the letter is quite well written and kind of funny? In fact I think it might even be satirical. George is a big boy, and obviously very "certain" of himself so I'm sure he'll have had a good laugh about it. His response could be construed as more hateful than the content of the letter tbh.

edit: Obviously if his intention is to highlight cyber bullying etc., then that's a decent thing to do and best of luck to him.

Yes you are. The line was crossed bringing his family into it.

• Advertisement

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Yes you are. The line was crossed bringing his family into it.
    http://www.episodegenerator.com/wp-content/uploads/WhoseLine.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It must take a particularly sad and pathetic muppet, to invest some much energy into writing and sending a letter like that. Hook as a well known public figure, naturally conveyed his own viewpoint during his time on the airwaves. He is paid to be opinionated and indeed his listeners expected it from him. Unfortunately, the idiot who wrote that letter appears not to have the emotional maturity to understand this. And said idiot, also doesn't seem to realise that one can easily change the station or channel, if Hook or anybody else displeases them with their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,072 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Am I the only one who thinks the letter is quite well written and kind of funny? In fact I think it might even be satirical. George is a big boy, and obviously very "certain" of himself so I'm sure he'll have had a good laugh about it. His response could be construed as more hateful than the content of the letter tbh.

edit: Obviously if his intention is to highlight cyber bullying etc., then that's a decent thing to do and best of luck to him.

Oh no you're probably not the only one. There are probably lots of morons out there to keep you company.

It's a bullying letter which encourages suicide. Hylarious. Can't get enough suicide banter these days.

Seriously I envy your ignorance of suicide. I only wish I shared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

A terrible thing to write to anyone. Just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean they can't suffer from depression and other problems a letter like this could send someone over the edge. Bullying in any form is awful, i hope the person is caught and when they are i'm sure they will apologize and regret sending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I can't believe how blasé so many people are about this letter. If my father received a letter like that, no matter how high or low profile he is, I would be devastated. It's one thing saying he's a bad broadcaster/pundit or saying you wish he'd give up working- it's quite another to say he should have been aborted; or should commit suicide; or that your family would have been better off without you. Jesus Christ. What is wrong with someone who A) says stuff like that to another person, or B) condones it being said, or brushes it off as something insignificant???

It's absolutely inaccurate to say that he should expect this kind of thing or that he should just get over it because "sure doesn't he dish out criticism every day" or similar. I find him irritating and opinionated, and would never listen to his programme- but absolutely no way should he be subjected to such vitriol, bullying and abuse.

Anyone who has the time to write $hit like that to another person- I envy the vacancy in your life that allows you the time to firstly think so deeply about a person who really has no effect on your life (it's called an "off" button, you psycho) and secondly that you have the time to pen and post (suggesting a significant amount of thought going into the whole thing) such a pathetic spewing of verbal diarrhea- I'm baffled.

Fair play to George. If it helps someone else being subjected to abuse from a troll, then why not highlight it. I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love if they got to the bottom of it. Too many people nowadays think they can say what they like anonymously and never deal with the consequences. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

A reaction is giving the letter-writer what they sorely want though. If George had shredded it and not said a word, it would have been the ultimate "f--- you" to the writer.
    Instead, the letter causing a bit of a public stir no doubt has the writer absolutely delighted because it's mission accomplished.
    It is just literally a piece of paper with words on it - from an anonymous coward, with horrible but unimaginative, generic insults that could be thrown at anyone by someone sad enough. I'd bet that person wouldn't dream of saying things a fraction as harsh to anyone's face, and might even be a normal, reasonable person "in real life". The letter shouldn't have so much power, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It could be a publicity stunt to give George's ratings a boost. You never know these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm not saying it's completely warranted but Hook has enjoyed a career playing a character, employed to spout ridiculous rubbish and "opinions" (at least I hope its a character) and generally go against the grain for the sake of entertainment.
    Do the likes of Pope, McGurk and O'Shea get this sort of mail?

I wouldn't have even bothered reading it, twould have gone straight in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's completely warranted but Hook has enjoyed a career playing a character, employed to spout ridiculous rubbish and "opinions" (at least I hope its a character) and generally go against the grain for the sake of entertainment.
    Do the likes of Pope, McGurk and O'Shea get this sort of mail?

I wouldn't have even bothered reading it, twould have gone straight in the bin.

Are you saying it's in any way warranted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The man is insufferable but didn't deserve that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Good response from him.He is giving the letter to the cops.Jasus some people must have nothing to do with their lives to resort to that crap.

Sending hate mail to an auld fella, whose views are hardly that extreme. I don't know why, but after all of these years I still listen to him in the afternoon

Hope those whose's the mail get a good kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Valetta wrote: »
    Are you saying it's in any way warranted?

No, I see the confusion, should have ommitted "completely" from that.
    It's not warranted at all to make it clear. More of a case of it's to be expected given the level of trolling behind anonymity that goes on.

Advertisement