Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a World Traveller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I've travelled the world, AMA

Did you find it hard to settle down once you came home? Would you go travelling again for such an extended period?

Yes I did, more than I thought I would - after seven years of travelling, that is to be expected as certain things just become the norm. As I mentioned earlier, just having instant access to amenities such as a hot shower, electricity or internet access without having to plan them into my day took quite a bit of getting used to again. Psychologically it also took a while to readjust - for the first month or so after I returned, I still slept in my sleeping bag on top of the bed because anything else felt stifling (it sounds ridiculous, I know), and in general, life just felt more constricted and restrained, if that makes sense.

Would I do it again? Who knows, but I wouldn't rule it out. I'm older now and that does change things - it can be difficult being the 35 year old in a hostel full of twenty-somethings for one. And most of my friends are well and truly settled now, some with families - things I haven't considered yet. But I'm by no means finished seeing what the world has to offer, and taking off again for six months to a year could easily develop into something longer. After all, that's what happened last time.

ozzz wrote: »
    Hey! First off, thanks for your detailed and informative posts. I plan to travel the world at some stage, so have gotten a lot of things to think about.

Just a few questions:

1. Do you think travelling helped you improve and grow as a person, and if so, how? Maybe this is difficult to answer since you say you have traveled from a young age, so you may have not noticed any significant improvements in areas like confidence, patience, etc in your 7 year trip.

At risk of spieling off a list of clichés, yes, I think so - I believe that travelling allows the opportunity for personal development, and I'd like to think that it has had a positive effect on me too. The very act of going to new and unknown places puts you outside of your comfort zone, and you have no choice but to adapt to your surroundings - a new language, new culture, new customs - and those who don't bend to that generally don't last very long. I've certainly become more patient for various reasons - taking care of day to day problems with people I didn't share a common language with being a prime example, or just having to bend completely to the whims and schedule of another country. I've seen other people quite literally kick and scream when things didn't go their way, but it didn't change the situation they were in.

I also end up being exposed to a lot of humbling stuff - the depths of poverty, death due to illness that would easily be treated back home, in a couple of instances, mass death due to natural disaster, and it certainly puts your life in perspective. But with that I also witnessed many inspirational things, such as people making the best of the little they had, helping others, or picking themselves up and regaining control over their lives after losing everything and it's hard to imagine that ones perspective on life wouldn't be shaped by that.

From a practical point of view, you do end up reconsidering your attachment to things in terms of want vs need, when you have to carry them on your back every step of the way. I started out light this time around after years of trial and error, but there have been trips in the past where that thing I needed to bring with me didn't seem so important after I'd had its weight cutting into my shoulders for a few weeks but had never used it. Conversely, you appreciate more the things you have that you do need, and take better care of them accordingly.

I haven't transformed into an entirely different person by any manner or means, but I have grown, definitely. I'm still an ass at times, but I learned a lot about myself along the way, and am (hopefully) a better person as a result of that.
    2. What is Pakistan like?

Pakistan is similar to India in that some people love it, others hate it. A few people I met there hated it - they found the cities to be dirty, local customs off-putting and the heat unbearable - and to a certain extent they are valid observations.

Personally, I liked it a lot, particularly northern Pakistan, in the mountainous regions bordering China and Afghanistan. The foothills and mountains in the north are quite rugged and sparsely vegetated in spots, and in many ways it's like stepping back in time a thousand years when you encounter some of the villages there. I met wonderful people all over - I met an off duty police officer while out walking one day who was walking back to his village in the mountains. He had no English, but beckoned me to follow him through the hills, which I did, for an entire day, before we eventually came to his village where he invited me to eat with his family and stay for the night. By the time I woke next morning, he had sent for his son from another village, who could speak English, and they spent the day telling me about their family and region, going back generations.

On another occasion in the town of Gilgrit, I met a young man who was starting up his own business guiding tourists around the area. He spent the entire day showing me every sight there was to see, brought me for tea and samosa, and while I was waiting for the other shoe to drop at the end of the day, wondering what this was going to cost, he wouldn't entertain the notion of being paid - he just wanted foreigners to see that people from his part of the world were good and generous people, despite what the American media had portrayed. That kind of hospitality speaks values about a people and about a country, in my opinion.
    3. Where have you come across the most beautiful women? I realize beauty is subjective, but what's your opinion?

Probably Venezuela - they are just naturally very beautiful people. Of course the first time I was there, I was 21 and more than likely wandered around in a constant state of infatuation, but yes, very beautiful women there.
    4. Is it easy to enter most countries around the world with an Irish Passport?

It's by no means a guaranteed entry into every country, but given the choice, I'd have an Irish passport over most others, in terms of ease of entering countries. In a lot of ways the Irish passport seems to sit in that perfect middle ground - we haven't pissed off a lot of the world in the way America has, we're automatically allied with any former British colony, who sees us as being as downtrodden by the English as they have been, and as such are more than likely to allow us to enter freely, yet we're a wealthy enough country that we don't pose an asylum risk to any country with such concerns. I can't imagine travelling any easier with another passport, than I have with an Irish one.
    5. Can I have your e-mail address? :P

Sure, but then I'd have to kill you ;) But if you do want more information that you don't want to post here, you can drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Absolutely wonderful thread. I'm loving to hear the world through your real experiences. Your style of writing is more grounded than any blogs I've come across and I genuinely hope you find your dream job in getting paid to travel and write guides. You've a gift for it.

Can I be cheeky and ask you to PM me the country where Lonely Planet may have been naughty with their methods of writing the guide? Curiosity has me dying to know :)

Being the outdoorsy type that you are. Have you been to Scotland and done many of the hiking trails around there. It's something I'm considering this year and have got a DK Eyewitness book as a rough guide. I still have to sit down and research it more adequately. I'd like a mix of camping and hostel jumping if possible. Would like to see all of Scotland whilst there too.

When in China, did you sleep on the Wall? Did you hike more of it than other tourists? Did you get work in the rice paddies?

In the western world, we view the dog as a family member and asset to work. Did you find it difficult to see them used as a meat source or viewed as a pest in other countries?

In relation to animal welfare in farming systems, did you also find it shocking how livestock was treated in comparison to Ireland. I know I found it difficult myself when working on a 1600 head dairy farm in New Zealand, animals literally starved through winter in some parts.

Some counties in Ireland are renowned for penny pinching (generalisation I know ;) ), where did you find people to be less likely to help you or hold back from offering assistance when you may have been in a predicament? Similarly, as technology advanced throughout your travels, did you notice more people living their travels through a lens? What nationality did you find to be the worst for this?

You've mentioned it hard keeping in touch with family due to facebook, internet, skype, etc. , not being as advanced back then or being non existent. Did you use mail service to send a postcard back home as a quick "hello, I'm doing fine". If so, was it difficult asking for what you needed from there?

I'll think of more questions, the rat race is limiting me to time here right now :);)

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Can I be cheeky and ask you to PM me the country where Lonely Planet may have been naughty with their methods of writing the guide? Curiosity has me dying to know :)

Me too, please, please, please! :)

Absolutely wonderful thread. I'm loving to hear the world through your real experiences. Your style of writing is more grounded than any blogs I've come across and I genuinely hope you find your dream job in getting paid to travel and write guides. You've a gift for it.

I appreciate that - thank you!

You can always ask..... ;) But the point I was trying to make wasn't so much that there was one country out there where I heard the advice was skewed, but rather that they are called guide books for a reason. They are a useful resource if people treat them as such - a guide - it's more problematic though when people follow them religiously - only go to the spots marked on the 'suggested itinerary', only stay at the 'author's choice' guesthouse, so on and so forth, and both the country and the spirit of adventure suffer as a result. And to be fair, I don't think the authors ever envisaged it being used that way.

Regarding the particular edition in question which -allegedly- contained discrepancies - I'm pretty sure that there's been at least one more recent edition of the book since I read it, which may have gotten a complete overhaul, but I haven't checked.
    Being the outdoorsy type that you are. Have you been to Scotland and done many of the hiking trails around there. It's something I'm considering this year and have got a DK Eyewitness book as a rough guide. I still have to sit down and research it more adequately. I'd like a mix of camping and hostel ajumping if possible. Would like to see all of Scotland whilst there too.

Yeah, I have definitely been to Scotland quite a few times - it's only a stones throw away in the greater scheme of things. My favourite area for hiking is around Glencoe - there are some beautiful hikes and climbs over there, and winter is definitely worth a visit if you are into hiking in the snow, or ice climbing, as they get far more severe winter weather than we do. But all of the highlands are beautiful, and Scotland is far better geared towards multi-day hikes than we are, in terms of access to routes, bothies along the way, etc.
    When in China, did you sleep on the Wall? Did you hike more of it than other tourists? Did you get work in the rice paddies?

I didn't sleep on the wall, but I probably did hike more of it than other tourists in that I did multiple day hikes there. When I was along the Great Wall it happened to be one of the most severe winters that China had experienced in recent years, and transportation was often cut off due to snowfall, so accessing the wall outside of Beijing was difficult.

I have in the past looked into what it would take to hike the Great Wall, to satisfy my own idle curiosity more than anything else. The main section of wall, which stretches from the Gobi Desert to the Yellow Sea is about 1,800 miles (2,896 km) long give or take. Compare that to something like the Appalachian Trail which is 2,185 miles (3,516 km) long, it's definitely achievable over the course of a few months. The length of the entire wall sits somewhere in between 4,800 km and 6,000 km depending on who you ask, though I believe that a few people have actually done it. Either would be some undertaking....
    In the western world, we view the dog as a family member and asset to work. Did you find it difficult to see them used as a meat source or viewed as a pest in other countries?

Not really, any more than I thought it was odd to see sacred cows wandering into shops in India and being revered rather than being shooed out the door. But I tend to be fairly practically minded in that regard. Some animals are treated as pets, others are treated as meat, and that line just shifts in certain cultures. And it's worth mentioning that in the couple of countries I've been in that consider dog to be a source of meat, people also keep dogs as pets. I ate it, but not too often. Not because of any moral or ethical objection, but simply because it didn't taste very good.
    In relation to animal welfare in farming systems, did you also find it shocking how livestock was treated in comparison to Ireland. I know I found it difficult myself when working on a 1600 head dairy farm in New Zealand, animals literally starved through winter in some parts.

Again, related to the above, practicality kicks in, and I appreciate that other countries may not have the same standards as we do, but most places I've been, there was always a base level of respect for livestock. From a purely practical point of view they are a valuable commodity, and particularly in poorer countries, often mean the difference between the family having an easy or a lean winter ahead of them, and as such they tend to be minded. And it's worth bearing in mind that not that long ago, it was exactly the same here in Ireland - even in my living memory.

That being said, I have experienced more of an emotional disconnection from the animals on the large cattle stations, such as the ones I worked on in Australia, or New Zealand as you have mentioned. Particularly when cattle were being transported by truck for resale or slaughter, it was just accepted that X number of animals would die in transit due to heat or injury, and you just insured against it. I'm not saying that I liked it, but whether that's something you just have to accept when dealing with animals that number in the thousands at a time, I'm not sure.
    Some counties in Ireland are renowned for penny pinching (generalisation I know ;) ), where did you find people to be less likely to help you or hold back from offering assistance when you may have been in a predicament? Similarly, as technology advanced throughout your travels, did you notice more people living their travels through a lens? What nationality did you find to be the worst for this?

As a rule of thumb, the wealthier the country, the less likely you are to get assistance from a random stranger, though obviously that's a sweep of a very broad brush, and there have been exceptions on either side of the spectrum. But it's very hard to label a particular country like that, because it is a lazy stereotype which is unfair to the individuals living there. There have been parts of the USA where people would quite literally walk by you if you were lying dead in the street - I got the crap beaten out of me in one of the bible belt states for talking to a black girl in a bar many years ago, and people walked by while I was bleeding all over the car park. That being said, I was hitchhiking weeks later, trying to track down friends who lived in the very same same state - I only had a very rough idea of where they lived - when a 20-something year old über Christian guy pulled over, and spent the next three hours driving me around and asking strangers for help, until he had figured out where they lived. So experiences can vary wildly.

You've mentioned it hard keeping in touch with family due to facebook, internet, skype, etc. , not being as advanced back then or being non existent. Did you use mail service to send a postcard back home as a quick "hello, I'm doing fine". If so, was it difficult asking for what you needed from there?

Yeah, to varying degrees of success I mailed postcards to family and friends back home, though it can be surprisingly expensive in certain countries if you have a few people expecting a card in the post. I didn't really have any trouble to be honest - postcards are something you'd pick out yourself from the shelf or display anyways, and stamps are easy to buy when you're pointing at the postcards in your hand.

Sending anything bigger than a postcard can be a different story though, particularly in India. Bureaucracy in India is an art form in itself, and every official act - even something as simple as sending a parcel - has five more stages to it than anywhere else in the world. The first thing to be aware of is that parcels in India aren't sent in cardboard boxes - the contents are placed into cloth sacks and stitched up tight. the process of which I wasn't very clued in on the first time I tried it.
    • Queue for 40 minutes at the post office.
    • Get to the counter to be told that it's the wrong window (it's always the wrong window), and that you need to queue somewhere else.
    • Queue for another 40 minutes at the other window in the post office while half the population of the post office crowds around you, trying to figure out what you are sending and where it's going to.
    • Post office employee informs you that you need to get the contents of your parcel sewn into a bag and points in the general direction of the street.
    • Spend an hour wandering round before you find a tailor who will sew your parcel into a cloth bag.
    • Return to the post office, queue for 40 minutes until you get to the counter.
    • Person behind the counter hands you a form to fill out.
    • Fill out form, only to be told that it needs to be xeroxed. Xeroxing is another essential service only provided by somebody out in the street.
    • Go back out into the street, find the xerox man, or more often than not, the xerox street, which is full of little shopfronts containing men with photocopiers. Get the form xeroxed.
    • Return to the post office, queue for 40 minutes until you get to the counter.
    • Finally hand your parcel and forms over to the person behind the counter, who weighs it and charges you the going rate.
    This level of multi-stage bureaucracy permeates society on that side of the world - any kind of official document that needs to be filled out (for example, a visa application form from an embassy) can't be handwritten - it needs to be typed out. Cue spending half of your day traipsing back and forth from the embassy, looking for a man with a typewriter, before rounding a corner to find a single street lined with men, sitting on folding chairs, henpecking away at an ancient typewriter. It can be frustrating for sure, but it's a lesson in patience as mentioned in an earlier post, and at the end of the day, in a country where social welfare is non existent, it does keep the the potentially unemployed in some form of day to day work.
    Candie wrote: »
    Me too, please, please, please! :)

See above :)

Wow, you've given a new meaning to the word initiative when describing the postal scene in India. What an intelligent way to keep the head above water. I can see now what you meant earlier about people given a little education to climb their way out of poverty.

With your experiences of the seven years in so many differant cultures, where does Ireland rate to you now on the world platform? Where are our successes as you see it Where could we open our eyes a little to progress further be it intellectually, economically or culturally? Does our government look less like a sty of lying swine now that you've encountered more corrupt forces such as the Russian police?

Are people in other countries TRULY shocked at how many taxes we have here property, water, refuse collection, etc) or is this just an Irish attitude that other EU countries are laughing at us :P

After experiencing so many cultures, has your sense of style/fashion changed since you've come back?

Are you a little more flummoxed at the westerns view that money is important in comparison to those you've met who were happier with less?

What was the most interesting animal, insect and plant you came across that you've never heard of or experienced before your travels?

• Advertisement

And it's worth bearing in mind that not that long ago, it was exactly the same here in Ireland - even in my living memory.

This is very true. Fair to say Ireland has only looked at animal welfare in livestock in the last 15 years. It was a tough lesson to get through to many farmers, and still is in some parts or those who have an older generation viewpoint to farming - "Well that's how my father did it, and his father before him".
    That being said, I have experienced more of an emotional disconnection from the animals on the large cattle stations, such as the ones I worked on in Australia, or New Zealand as you have mentioned. Particularly when cattle were being transported by truck for resale or slaughter, it was just accepted that X number of animals would die in transit due to heat or injury, and you just insured against it. I'm not saying that I liked it, but whether that's something you just have to accept when dealing with animals that number in the thousands at a time, I'm not sure.

This. I discovered the hard way that I do NOT like intensive farming. The casual hand they gave the calves from birth until they were driven away. They weren't fed most days if I wasn't on the farm :( It disappointed me as it only took ten minutes to get a trailer of milk into them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Great thread. Well considered responses and artfully delivered, a joy to read. My views on much of what you said would align quite closely.

I did find your tactful description of Americans hilarious. Your reference to the bible belt girl though... What was that about? Also, what state was it? etc.

So... A question... 7 years is a very, very long time... Where did you stay the longest?

I would imagine you would have stayed in one place or another for at least 6 months or so given you were gone so long.

And, why not, what would be your last meal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Did you have to renew your passport while abroad?

And if so, was the process difficult and did it take long?

With your experiences of the seven years in so many different cultures, where does Ireland rate to you now on the world platform? Where are our successes as you see it Where could we open our eyes a little to progress further be it intellectually, economically or culturally? Does our government look less like a sty of lying swine now that you've encountered more corrupt forces such as the Russian police?

That's a pretty extensive question, and not sure it's one that I'm remotely qualified to answer. But my own opinion is that for all we might complain at times, there are certainly worse places to live in the world than Ireland. It's easy to forget how far we've come economically speaking, unless for some reason you have to take a step backward into 1980's Ireland - we effectively went from being Europe's worst economic performer to its best in the space of 15 or so years. The eye-opener for me was Georgia - a country roughly the same land mass in size, almost the same population, mostly rural and grounded in agriculture, it wasn't a huge step above subsistence living, and was a huge throwback to the Ireland of my childhood. While it may not be a perfect system, we do have healthcare, social welfare, ecucation and such, which are far from guaranteed amenities in other parts of the world.

I think that as a whole, we sell ourselves well - other countries see us as having a highly educated workforce and as an attractive location for inward investment, compared to the rural backwater of Europe we used to be, and yes you are right - certainly compared to some of the more corrupt governments I've encountered, Ireland's seems tame by comparison, though every time something changes, it just seems to be a case of it being the same circus, but different clowns, and that perception does travel abroad, particularly to the English speaking world.

Culturally we are certainly well recognised overseas in terms of music and the arts, though in my opinion I think we are beginning to suffer compared to other countries, which is sad to see. In many ways we seem to perceive our own culture as somewhat antiquated, and holding us back - it's obvious from some of the responses even here on Boards at times that the Irish language for example, is a useless language, should just be let die out. While I agree that the Irish language needs a revival in how it's taught, it still saddens me to see that it's something that many of us are actively pushing away.

In a lot of ways our cultural identity it's something we like to trot out when it's a popular time to be Irish, and then shove it back in the drawer again once we don't need it. Other countries seem to be able to strike a far better balance between holding onto their culture and having a genuine love for it, while still living in the modern world. It's something we could definitely improve upon considering that it's a serious marketable asset.
    Are people in other countries TRULY shocked at how many taxes we have here property, water, refuse collection, etc) or is this just an Irish attitude that other EU countries are laughing at us :P

To be honest, for the most part other people don't really care - they are too busy worrying how their own taxes are affecting them. Though I have heard surprise being expressed on more than one occasion that we just seem to ay down and take what's dished out, and I have to say that I agree.
    After experiencing so many cultures, has your sense of style/fashion changed since you've come back?

Sense of style hasn't been an issue, because I never really had one to begin with :D I'm certainly more appreciative of being comfortable rather than just wearing something for appearances sake, and I find it hard to justify spending crazy money on clothes unless there is a good reason to, considering that the price of a pair of Levis might be a month's income or more in some countries I've been to. One thing I have a far greater appreciation for now is traditional attire - some of the national costumes from various countries truly are beautiful, and by virtue of actually being in that country you get not only a sense of the appearance of traditional costumes, but also the story behind how they evolved, be it for dance, for battle, or for some other reason.
    Are you a little more flummoxed at the westerns view that money is important in comparison to those you've met who were happier with less?

I wouldn't say flummoxed, but I do think that we place too much importance on having money, and making more of it. Don't get me wrong, it's great that families can live in comfort, and can have disposable income that we couldn't even imagine twenty years ago. But the sense of one-upmanship in terms of material wealth has really gotten out of hand, even since I left. I barely recognised some of the country roads in my area when I came back home - mansions of houses being built, each one having to be a little bigger and better than the neighbours mansion which was built a few months before. I'm not saying that we all need to go back to living in thatched cottages, but for a while I think we lost sight of how to live within our means, and in many ways have lost sight of what's actually important in life too.
    What was the most interesting animal, insect and plant you came across that you've never heard of or experienced before your travels?

It's hard to pick just one - there are a lot of crazy and unusual things out there. One that comes to mind though is the Vietnamese Centipede - as the name suggests, it's a centipede, though not limited to Vietnam. It's about 6-8" long, but the fun fact about them is that they have a venomous bite, and although it's not usually toxic, there have been cases where the pain has been so bad, that people have cut off the bitten limb in an attempt to lessen it, or have committed suicide because they couldn't take it anymore. And you can encounter them reasonably often. Definitely something to stay away from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Hello. I would like to ask as a female solo traveller about going to places like South America and India alone. Is it very dangerous and concerning health issues, would your tummy be dodgy after eating there. Is there any way to prevent getting bowel problems? I have dark colouring as I saw you mention maybe trying to fit in better with the locals. Has the media portrayed the amount of rapes there as being realistic of actual circumstance? What precautions would a woman have to take to stay safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Amazing thread buddy, hats off. Did you make it to Bangladesh at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭sporina

Hi ya, heading off in October - central america, south america,(colombia and patagonia) nz, oz, indonesia and south east asia, nepal - flight home via india.
    I plan to do a lot of hiking/trekking.
    But I just realised that I hit Nepal at exactly the wrong time of year - Monsoon season - august - this was one of my highlights to be.
    I will be in south east asia before nepal - vietnam etc - and its rainly season too. (well this was all the plan)
    Thing is I don't wanna change my plan up to this point - have lots in mind and all work out ok as far as indonesia.
    Maybe I will have to change my plans for after Indonesia? I would not mind loosing the flight home if I needed to detour. I do not know a lot about India or the east in general - more into latin america - but I do wanna go to nepal sometime.
    What to do when your traveling for a certain period of time and you hit places during off season etc???

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Great thread. Well considered responses and artfully delivered, a joy to read. My views on much of what you said would align quite closely.

I did find your tactful description of Americans hilarious. Your reference to the bible belt girl though... What was that about? Also, what state was it? etc.

That was quite a few years ago at this stage - I was 20 years old and had just finished college and decided to backpack around the southern US. The state in question was Georgia - I had just hitchhiked my way up from Florida, and found myself firmly entrenched in the bible belt, where the teaching of evolution is a big no-no, and if you dig down, you'll encounter hell before you find a fossil. The undercurrents of racism still run strong there at times, and by unfortunate coincidence, the state was trying to ban the confederate flag at the time, meaning that tensions were running higher than usual.

Georgia, being a very wooded and mountainous state, was great for camping, and sometimes if I arrived somewhere early, I'd grab a beer or something to eat at a local country bar, before setting up camp for the night. And my accent standing out like a sore thumb, I'd often have people come up to me, ask me where I was from and so on, and this time was no different. I was at the bar, ordering a beer, when a black girl who happened to be drinking close by overheard me ordering, came up, and asked the usual questions - where I was from, what I was doing in that part of the world, and being that I was travelling on my own, I was happy to sit and chat. An hour later, I'd finished my food and beer, we said our goodbyes, and I headed on out with my backpack to head a little bit out of town. I made it about halfway across the car park - three guys followed me out and beat me almost unconscious for "making eyes at a n****r". I didn't stand much of a chance. That was obviously an extreme, but there was still a lot of racial tension in backwater Georgia at that time.
    So... A question... 7 years is a very, very long time... Where did you stay the longest?

I would imagine you would have stayed in one place or another for at least 6 months or so given you were gone so long.

Australia would be the country I stayed the longest, but the again you are dealing with a country that is also a continent, and to see it, you really do need to travel it at your leisure. I spent over a year and a half there, but in that time I got to see most of the country, including living in the outback for extended periods of time. Other than that, Georgia was a place that I fell in love with, the people, culture and the language, and I returned there repeatedly for those reasons. There are a couple of pages of stamps in my passport dedicated to Georgia alone.
    And, why not, what would be your last meal?

An authentic green Thai curry, cooked in front of me, washed down with a bottle of Tiger beer :)
    Did you have to renew your passport while abroad?

And if so, was the process difficult and did it take long?

No I didn't. As it happened, my previous passport was about to expire just before I moved to South Africa, and I paid extra to get the large version which contains 65 visa pages. I also carry a British passport, which I could fall back on if necessary, though I mostly carry that in case I ever need an embassy in an emergency. You can find a British embassy or consulate in almost every country. An Irish one, not so much. The last time I met an Irish consulate, it was to get drunk with him in a bar in Armenia.

eternal wrote: »
    Hello. I would like to ask as a female solo traveller about going to places like South America and India alone. Is it very dangerous and concerning health issues, would your tummy be dodgy after eating there. Is there any way to prevent getting bowel problems? I have dark colouring as I saw you mention maybe trying to fit in better with the locals. Has the media portrayed the amount of rapes there as being realistic of actual circumstance? What precautions would a woman have to take to stay safe?

As a guy, it can be hard to answer questions from the female perspective, beceuse there are angles that may not seem risky to me, but are to a female traveller. And yes, in both India and South America, bad things can, and have happened in the past, particularly in India, where there have been several high profile cases as of late. The best advice I can give you is to use caution and common sense. For the most part in both India and South America, the harrassment if it does happen tends to be of a verbal nature, usually from groups of men showing off in front of their friends. Even as a solo traveller, you will constantly run in to fellow travellers, and I'd suggest grouping up to go sightseeing, visiting temples and such. From what I can see, the Indian media have been pretty honest when it has come to reporting on rapes within the country. Verbal harassment happens on a daily basis, and gets brushed under the carpet.

All that being said, the number of solo female travellers who have had amazing and hassle free trips, far, far outweighs those who have found themselves in trouble, so don't let that put you off going there. Exercise common sense and you will be fine.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Amazing thread buddy, hats off. Did you make it to Bangladesh at all?

I didn't, though I was looking at it on the map only last night. I'm considering taking a job in Myanmar in a couple of months, and Bangladesh only being across the border, if the border is open to travel then I can certainly see myself traveling over for a visit.
    sporina wrote: »
    Hi ya, heading off in October - central america, south america,(colombia and patagonia) nz, oz, indonesia and south east asia, nepal - flight home via india.
    I plan to do a lot of hiking/trekking.
    But I just realised that I hit Nepal at exactly the wrong time of year - Monsoon season - august - this was one of my highlights to be.
    I will be in south east asia before nepal - vietnam etc - and its rainly season too. (well this was all the plan)
    Thing is I don't wanna change my plan up to this point - have lots in mind and all work out ok as far as indonesia.
    Maybe I will have to change my plans for after Indonesia? I would not mind loosing the flight home if I needed to detour. I do not know a lot about India or the east in general - more into latin america - but I do wanna go to Nepal sometime.
    What to do when your traveling for a certain period of time and you hit places during off season etc???

If you are travelling fro any length of time like you are doing, it's impossible to plan it so you land in every single country at the optimum time - there are always going to be trade-offs somewhere along the way, and in your case it will be where you happen to end up during the rainy season. As to what you can do - not a whole lot really - if you have a lot of time then maybe you can detour on your way there, but fro the most part you just have to roll with it.

Having said that, rainy season in Nepal really isn't a big deal, and I actually preferred travelling and hiking there in the rainy season, as there were far less other tourists to contend with, and you have the place more or less to yourself. In the rainy season, tours and accommodation are also far cheaper - it's a buyers market, you just have to be willing to bargain. If you are hiking something like the Annapurna Circuit, or Base Camp trek, the best advice I can give is to readjust your daily schedule - get up as early as possible, as soon as day breaks, and hike through the morning while it is dry. You can pretty much set your watch by the rainy season in Nepal - it will downpour just after 2pm, but by then you may have 6-8 hours hiking under our belt. If that isn't enough for you, it's a warm rain and most Sherpas just walk through it, with an umbrella wedged into their carry packs, giving them shelter from overhead.

The biggest issue caused by the rain are roads getting washed out - the mountain roads in particular are prone to mudslide, and have been known to take a local bus or two full of passengers with them, down into the valley below. And you'll see plenty of evidence of that along the way, in the form of tangled metal poking out from the vegetation down below. I used to sit on the roof rather than inside - should something happen then at least I had the chance of jumping off. But the risks of being that unlucky are very low.

The second issue when you are actually hiking, other than your schedule being interfered with, are leeches - they are harmless for the most part, but if you are the squeamish type then you may not be too happy to look down and find three or four of them anchored to your legs. You can try to prevent them by wearing long legged hiking pants, keeping everything tucked in, but the heat and humidity will take their toll. I'd just hike in shorts, and not worry about them too much. Other than leaving wounds that take forever to clot though - leeches produce an anticoagulant in their saliva which keeps the blood flowing - they don't have any lasting effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Have you ever watched the TV series Departures? 3 Canadian guys travelling the world, 1 of which is the camera man and an amazing one at that. Ironically 1 was a well seasoned traveler before they started the show and they were all 27 too. They've been to a lot of places you've been so I'm wondering if you've watched it, if not, it might be interesting to see their route through countries you've been in. (They've been to Antartica ;) ) Couple the fact that I've watched 2 seasons of that in 2 weeks and read this thread, the travel bug in me is eager to get going.

Really is a fantastic thread, my favourite on boards and thank you so much for all the answers and insights into various countries, you've lived the life I can only dream of living, hopefully in 7 years I'll be following in your footsteps.

Have you ever watched the TV series Departures? 3 Canadian guys travelling the world, 1 of which is the camera man and an amazing one at that. Ironically 1 was a well seasoned traveler before they started the show and they were all 27 too. They've been to a lot of places you've been so I'm wondering if you've watched it, if not, it might be interesting to see their route through countries you've been in. (They've been to Antartica ;) ) Couple the fact that I've watched 2 seasons of that in 2 weeks and read this thread, the travel bug in me is eager to get going.

I haven't been a huge TV watcher for many years - travelling obviously didn't agree with it, though that's changed somewhat since I've gotten back, and I've binged watched a few shows that I'd missed while I was away. I have heard that there have been quite a few travel/adventure shows like the one you've mentioned though broadcast over the last few years - I constantly have people trying to get me to watch 'Utopia' or 'The Long Way Round' or 'The Amazing Race' or similar, trying to see how it measures up to the places I've been. I haven't seen 'Departures', though just reading the blurb on it, it does read to be on the better end of the spectrum of what these shows are all about, and I may stream a few episodes of it later on tonight.

It would be up there as one of my ideal jobs really - being paid to circumnavigate the world and have a series of adventures along the way. So if there's an I AMA TV Producer looking for a project out there.... :D Though I have a face more suited to radio, or writing on the internet :)

TV related travel travel story. When I was in Mongolia, public places such as bus stations would always have a battered old black and white TV up on a shelf somewhere, showing the latest Mongolian and Chinese soaps, which Mongolian people love - TV is a relatively new thing there and they have latched onto it with gusto. But I couldn't figure out why, every couple of hours, the TV would turn to static - it seemed oddly specific to just be lousy reception, so I asked around to find out what the issue was.

Apparently when Mongolia first started broadcasting TV, people became so hooked on it, that their animals were dropping dead on the Steppe, because their owners were too engrossed in the latest goings on in the popular Mongolian soaps to pull themselves away from the TV to check on their livestock. As a counter to this, the Mongolian government mandated that the TV station stop broadcasting for 15 minute chunks throughout the day, forcing their owners to tend to their livestock throughout the day.

Really is a fantastic thread, my favourite on boards and thank you so much for all the answers and insights into various countries, you've lived the life I can only dream of living, hopefully in 7 years I'll be following in your footsteps.

Thank you - I'm glad that you are being entertained by it. And I hope to see a travel thread up here from you sometime in the next few years :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Really enjoying this thread. I’ve been saving for the last year to go travelling. I plan to be away for at least 9-12 months, mainly SEA, Australia, NZ. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a looong time but never had the nerve. However I’m 30 now and the fear of doing it has been supplanted by the fear of not doing it.

I still worry that I mightn’t be up to it. There seems to be endless writing about how to prepare for such a trip, what to pack, etc, but not a whole lot on the psychological preparation. I’m hoping that by travelling slowly and not biting off more than I can chew, I’ll be able to get past the “what the eff I’m doing here” days.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I find it interesting that you said stereotypes about countries are just that, stereotypes and generalisations, but you've also said that on the whole Americans are loud and annoying travellers! Just an observation! This is a really great thread!

What's the most amazing/kindest thing anyone has done for you abroad and what's the most hurtful/malicious?

Also, have you found that in general people are people and that regardless of culture or nationality, there are characteristics inherent to all human beings, or have you found in general people and their identity is inextricably linked to their culture and environment? Are people products of their country?

You've led such an interesting life!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Have you ever watched the TV series Departures?

Ha, I started watching it on Monday, not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Whats the funniest thing that has happend to you on your travels.

Excellent thread fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Ha, I started watching it on Monday, not bad.

Without going off topic too much, Justin is the love of my life :pac:

Really enjoying this thread. I’ve been saving for the last year to go travelling. I plan to be away for at least 9-12 months, mainly SEA, Australia, NZ. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a looong time but never had the nerve. However I’m 30 now and the fear of doing it has been supplanted by the fear of not doing it.

I still worry that I mightn’t be up to it. There seems to be endless writing about how to prepare for such a trip, what to pack, etc, but not a whole lot on the psychological preparation. I’m hoping that by travelling slowly and not biting off more than I can chew, I’ll be able to get past the “what the eff I’m doing here” days.

It's easy to get bogged down in the what-if's and all of the things you can envisage going wrong, and absolutely there will be “what the eff I’m doing here” days - can guarantee you that. But the hardest step of all is to make the decision to go in the first place, and as evidenced by you saving towards that goal and having a plan laid out in your head, you've pushed through that.

You can make all the physical and mental preparations in the world, and at the end of the day, it's that first step out the door that makes the difference, and everything else will follow on after that. After that is a matter of keeping moving, and experiencing everything you want to experience along the way. There will be tough days at times, and lonely days, but they will be far outweighed by the great ones. Take it slowly and enjoy it. And if you feel that it's no longer enjoyable, or the pull of home is something you want to answer, Ireland is just a plane ride away.

There's a good chance that I'll be over on that side of the world myself then - who knows, we might even cross paths somewhere. Either way, enjoy the travels.
    ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I find it interesting that you said stereotypes about countries are just that, stereotypes and generalisations, but you've also said that on the whole Americans are loud and annoying travellers! Just an observation! This is a really great thread!

The thought didn't escape me when I wrote that post (I presume you mean post #78) that it might be read as a contradiction, and with respect, I think it's cherrypicking to state that I said that "on the whole Americans are loud and annoying travellers!"

I still believe that stereotypes are lazy generalisations, that for the most part (and by definition) they are an unfair belief that all people or things with a particular characteristic (in this case, nationality) are the same. But the poster had asked me who were the most obnoxious \ ignorant travellers I had met (stating in his question that he appreciated that it was a very generalised question), and I responded based solely on my personal experiences while travelling. In answering, I did try to make it very clear that I had (a) met plenty of obnoxious people from other nationalities, including Irish, and (b) I had met plenty of very decent American backpackers who I got on very well with, and who I still consider friends to this day. But from a purely empirical point of view, I experienced more obnoxious American travellers than I did of other nationalities, and across multiple continents. Those were just my experiences, and other people's may differ wildly.

I think there's a distinct difference between that, and just lazily labelling all Americans as loud and annoying because that is the common belief. If that wasn't clear in my post, then the fault lies with me.
    What's the most amazing/kindest thing anyone has done for you abroad and what's the most hurtful/malicious?

So many people have done kindnesses for me over the years while travelling, it's hard to even sort through them and pick one out as a highlight. I've been invited at random into people's homes for meals and celebrations (on one occasion about half an hour after the woman of the house had given birth), I've been invited to parties and have had parties thrown in my honour, sometimes by entire villages. That kind of generosity isn't just limited to poorer countries either. In Australia, I blew the engine of my truck a couple of hundred kilometres outside of Alice Springs, and an aboriginal prison officer towed me to his house, and offered me a room in his home as long as I needed to repair it. Another family dragged me in on Christmas day for dinner with their family rather than seeing me outside working on the engine in the heat, and another family still offered me the use of their garage and tools to make my life easier. I've met amazing people, and am forever in their debt.

One moment of kindness comes to mind simply because it makes a great story to retell. It was in Georgia - I lived in the Shida Kartli region for a while, in the town of Gori, birthplace of Joseph Stalin, and I had become very good friends with the police chief there - the department wanted him to learn English, and I was giving him lessons. I had plans after lessons one Friday evening on the other side of the country, and when the lesson ran late, I realised that I'd missed my marshutka - the small ancient minibusses that run from city to city. But apparently this wasn't a problem - the police chief rattled off instructions into the radio on his desk in Georgian, and two minutes later I was sitting in the back of a police car, tearing through Gori with lights and sirens ablaze, presumably to intercept the marshutka.

We got out onto the newly constructed motorway, and just kept going past the marshutka for another 50km to the town of Khashuri, where the next police district started. There, a second police car was parked in the middle of the roundabout, with another two cars parked across the remaining entrances, blocking off an entire town of traffic. Only then did it dawn on me what was happening - I was the human cargo in a countrywide game of pass the parcel.

This process repeated three more times, on each occasion an entire town halted to a standstill, with police officers standing around with their friends, smoking, and waiting for me to arrive. And the entire length of the journey - what would normally have been a five hour journey - took just over three, thanks to a combination of the police driving me at breakneck speed, and seemingly every other police car parked across major roads, should any other traffic dare to get in our way.

TL;DR: An country's police force downed tools and blocked off the nation's only major artery so I could get drunk with my friends on the other end of the country.

Other than thieves and whatnot, stories of genuinely hurtful and malicious people are thankfully very few. The story I told earlier about the bar in Georgia (the state) would be up there though.
    Also, have you found that in general people are people and that regardless of culture or nationality, there are characteristics inherent to all human beings, or have you found in general people and their identity is inextricably linked to their culture and environment? Are people products of their country?

I think that people are influenced by their culture and nationality, but the human condition still over-arches all of that - people of every colour and creed share the same concerns - the meaning of life, the search for gratification, the sense of curiosity, what death will bring when it finally takes them. It's what defines us, in many ways. And the more I travel, the more I realise that it's true. Irrespective of race, religion or nationality, people as a whole just want to get by, to help their families and go about living their lives. They want their children to have a better life than they did. And they want to leave this word being remembered for having done more good than bad. How they go about living their lives and achieving these things might be different, and are often linked to their culture, but their general goals are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What an excellent thread.

I've done a tiny bit of travelling/backpacking. Whenever we sat out at night drinking a few beers there was always an arsehole someone who pulled out a guitar.

Are you that person? If not, how did you make your excuse to leave!!:pac:

Zebrano wrote: »
    Whats the funniest thing that has happend to you on your travels.

Excellent thread fair play.

It's hard to answer that - many of my stories and experiences fall simultaneously into the shocking/embarrassing/horrifying categories, only to be funny looking back on them years later.

One story that was mortifying at the time, and funny now with the gift of hindsight, occurred in Thailand. By the time I had gotten there, I had put a hectic few months behind me, so I headed away across the Gulf of Thailand from the larger more popular islands, until I found a nice quiet island, almost devoid of tourists. There I set up camp in a hut on the beach, with no other intentions than to relax, scuba dive and kayak along the coast, until I felt like putting on the rucksack again.

It was on one of the dives that I met *Rebecca, an Australian girl who had been teaching overseas for a year and was stopping over in Thailand for a short break on her way back home. She was truly a stunning girl, and had a sense of humour to match, and for some inexplicable reason enjoyed spending time with me too. So after four days on a dive boat together, I asked her if she wanted to spend some time together afterwards before she left for home. I was most certainly punching above my weight, but I was also a horny and besotted twenty-something year old who really had nothing to lose.

For the next three days, I really did go all out in my quest for the pasty skinned Irish guy overcome all odds and impress the pretty tanned Australian girl - I rented kayaks to go on little trips to the offshore islands, arranged for food for picnics while I was there, brought her to dinner - lengths I'd never gone to for another human being before, and probably never will again. And on her last night, most likely by virtue of Stockholm syndrome setting in, she decided that she wanted to spend the night together before leaving for home the next day. And after the sun had turned to dusk and then to dark, we wandered down the deserted beach to watch the stars some out.

The setting and the stars and the sadness of having to leave the next day apparently had their effect, and what started as us sitting wrapped in each other eventually developed into something more.... amorous. We were after all, completely alone, and next morning might never see each other again. At least that's what we thought.

We were well and truly wrapped up in each other and oblivious to the world around us when a motor roared to life, and as it gunned towards the shore, we were bathed in the floodlight of an offshore inflatable boat on the side of the beach facing the water, as armed men came running out of the trees and foliage behind us.

What I was most assuredly and blissfully unaware of, was that the island in question was a popular one for running drugs ashore, and the coastguard happened to have been patrolling the area that very night. Somebody on lookout had spotted activity on the beach, quite possibly my pasty white skin reflecting like a beacon in the moonlight, and the order had been issued ashore to look into it. Expecting to find drugs being smuggled ashore, what they actually found was a disheveled and very disappointed Irish guy, and a very upset and angry Australian girl, both in various states of undress. All of my valiant efforts had been undone in an instant, and needless to say, the atmosphere had been well and truly ruined. I never did get any further that night, and after she left the following morning, I never saw her again.

mfceiling wrote: »
    What an excellent thread.

I've done a tiny bit of travelling/backpacking. Whenever we sat out at night drinking a few beers there was always an arsehole someone who pulled out a guitar.

Are you that person? If not, how did you make your excuse to leave!!:pac:

I'm afraid that I was the arsehole wonderful person who played the guitar, but I tried to limit it to rare occasions. :o But I understand where you are coming from - every hostel seems to have that guy who pulls out the guitar at a fixed time every evening, playing the same 4-chord songs, in the hope of getting a sing-song going and meeting a bunch of new people to get drunk with.

That being said, if you can play an instrument, it is a great way of meeting new people, and not just other backpackers. I had great sessions on what would have been long and tedious train rides in Siberia and China, and despite not having a common language, everybody from eight years old to eighty found a way of joining in. And of course, once you pick up the guitar and play a song, someone else always decides that they can do better in their language, and the process repeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's hard to answer that - many of my stories and experiences fall simultaneously into the shocking/embarrassing/horrifying categories, only to be funny looking back on them years later.

One story that was mortifying at the time, and funny now with the gift of hindsight, occurred in Thailand. By the time I had gotten there, I had put a hectic few months behind me, so I headed away across the Gulf of Thailand from the larger more popular islands, until I found a nice quiet island, almost devoid of tourists. There I set up camp in a hut on the beach, with no other intentions than to relax, scuba dive and kayak along the coast, until I felt like putting on the rucksack again.

It was on one of the dives that I met *Rebecca, an Australian girl who had been teaching overseas for a year and was stopping over in Thailand for a short break on her way back home. She was truly a stunning girl, and had a sense of humour to match, and for some inexplicable reason enjoyed spending time with me too. So after four days on a dive boat together, I asked her if she wanted to spend some time together afterwards before she left for home. I was most certainly punching above my weight, but I was also a horny and besotted twenty-something year old who really had nothing to lose.

For the next three days, I really did go all out in my quest for the pasty skinned Irish guy overcome all odds and impress the pretty tanned Australian girl - I rented kayaks to go on little trips to the offshore islands, arranged for food for picnics while I was there, brought her to dinner - lengths I'd never gone to for another human being before, and probably never will again. And on her last night, most likely by virtue of Stockholm syndrome setting in, she decided that she wanted to spend the night together before leaving for home the next day. And after the sun had turned to dusk and then to dark, we wandered down the deserted beach to watch the stars some out.

The setting and the stars and the sadness of having to leave the next day apparently had their effect, and what started as us sitting wrapped in each other eventually developed into something more.... amorous. We were after all, completely alone, and next morning might never see each other again. At least that's what we thought.

We were well and truly wrapped up in each other and oblivious to the world around us when a motor roared to life, and as it gunned towards the shore, we were bathed in the floodlight of an offshore inflatable boat on the side of the beach facing the water, as armed men came running out of the trees and foliage behind us.

What I was most assuredly and blissfully unaware of, was that the island in question was a popular one for running drugs ashore, and the coastguard happened to have been patrolling the area that very night. Somebody on lookout had spotted activity on the beach, quite possibly my pasty white skin reflecting like a beacon in the moonlight, and the order had been issued ashore to look into it. Expecting to find drugs being smuggled ashore, what they actually found was a disheveled and very disappointed Irish guy, and a very upset and angry Australian girl, both in various states of undress. All of my valiant efforts had been undone in an instant, and needless to say, the atmosphere had been well and truly ruined. I never did get any further that night, and after she left the following morning, I never saw her again.

That's the greatest post I've ever read on boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭allybhoy

This thread just gets better and better.. the police and the beach story are some of the greatest anecdotes of all time... Any other poster and id call bull$hit but I 100% believe these!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Boards has a new legend! :)

From what I have read I'm thinking no, but do you have any brothers or sisters? If yes, do they have the travel bug?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Did you feed the fish in darwin.

• Advertisement

allybhoy wrote: »
    This thread just gets better and better.. the police and the beach story are some of the greatest anecdotes of all time... Any other poster and id call bull$hit but I 100% believe these!

Believe me when I say that I wish that the beach story had ended in a very different manner :o
    Boards has a new legend! :)

From what I have read I'm thinking no, but do you have any brothers or sisters? If yes, do they have the travel bug?

I do have siblings - one brother and one sister, and no, they don't travel to the same degree as I do. Neither have much interest in the outdoors in general - my brother is rarely inclined to leave the country, with the exception perhaps of a lads weekend away somewhere. My sister has trvelled a little more - she took 9 months off to stay in Australia, stopping over in Thailand along the way, but her idea of a holiday is more along the lines of skiing fro a week with her friends. So as you can see, we are very different people. Which is probably not a bad thing :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement