Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Rice = fewer calories

Options
  • 25-03-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32019176

"Scientists say they have found a way to make rice less calorific - boil it with coconut oil and then refrigerate for half a day before eating.

According to the Sri Lankan researchers, treating rice in this way reduces its calories by up to 60%.

They told the American Chemical Society how the method made the starch in the rice less digestible so the body took on less fuel than it otherwise would."

"And, according to the researchers the best way to make it is to simmer the rice for 40 minutes with a teaspoon of coconut oil, then let it cool and keep it refrigerated for 12 hours.

Researcher Sudhair James said: "The cooling is essential because amylose, the soluble part of the starch, leaves the granules during gelatinisation.

"Cooling for 12 hours will lead to formation of hydrogen bonds between the amylose molecules outside the rice grains which also turns it into a resistant starch."

He said reheating the cooled rice was fine too - it would not affect the resistant starch level"

But will it work for spuds???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Does rinsing the rice prior to consumption have the same efffect does anyone know? Cos if it does, Mum got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I remember someone posting something similar about pasta I think

EDIT: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761

Pasta always tastes better the next day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's mad
    Might give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Leftovers ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So experiment time. Need to get a blood glucose monitor which is used by diabetics for measuring blood sugar levels, and then in the morning, on an empty stomach, consume 100 grams of freshly cooked rice and record how blood sugar levels change at 5/10/15/20/30/mins/1 hour.

Then store 100g of the rice in the fridge overnight, and do exactly the same thing the next day and see if there is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Hanley wrote: »
    Does rinsing the rice prior to consumption have the same efffect does anyone know? Cos if it does, Mum got there first.

Probably not since
    The cooling is essential because amylose, the soluble part of the starch, leaves the granules during gelatinisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

That's great and all, but wouldn't it be quicker, easier and less wasteful to just eat smaller portions of rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's great and all, but wouldn't it be quicker, easier and less wasteful to just eat smaller portions of rice?

How about having a smaller portion and applying the above to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrStuffins wrote: »

Then you lose da gainz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MrStuffins wrote: »

huh, why would you do that if the issue is with portions? To me it seems a bit crazy to look to reduce the calories within a fixed quantity of food. Just reduce quantity of food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you want low cal rice why not make cauliflower rice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

huh, why would you do that if the issue is with portions? To me it seems a bit crazy to look to reduce the calories within a fixed quantity of food. Just reduce quantity of food.

Quick get the WHO on the line we have a solution to Obesity.

Obviously you are correct but sometimes simple tips and hints can help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

......... but what if you want the same size portion with less calories?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember someone posting something similar about pasta I think

EDIT: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761
    The pasta article has no mention of cooking with oil or the cool down time. I would like to see the other study and what did not work, e.g. was 6 hours much worse, what if its cooled instantly.

Many takeaways & restaurants will make fried rice with cold rice, so it could possibly be the less fattening choice, or have little difference.

I wonder how much water is needed, that "easy cook" rice is cooked to some degree beforehand, I wonder if that would have a similar effect.

And I wonder if the same is true of bread, would eating it hot out of the oven be different to cooled bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'm reading this as 'cakes 60% less calorific if eat'n from fridge'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

groovyg wrote: »
    If you want low cal rice why not make cauliflower rice

Cause it's absolute sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Saw this article on reddit and one of the comments worked out that cooking it with the coconut oil negates something like 90% of the calories you'd save.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dorgasm wrote: »
    Saw this article on reddit and one of the comments worked out that cooking it with the coconut oil negates something like 90% of the calories you'd save.

Did they show figures, and did they have the cooking instructions?

I doubt it would be that high.

EDIT: found this, still vague instructions
    https://www.yahoo.com/health/this-rice-cooking-trick-cuts-calories-in-half-and-114164120417.html
    Those who worry that adding calorie-dense coconut oil to rice would make the food more fattening shouldn’t worry; the shift in starch type cancels out more calories than the coconut oil adds in.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

When I was bulking I'd often cook 400g of rice and split it into 4 100g portions and microwave them during the week.

Rice stole my gains

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

rubadub wrote: »
    Did they show figures, and did they have the cooking instructions?

I doubt it would be that high.

EDIT: found this, still vague instructions
    https://www.yahoo.com/health/this-rice-cooking-trick-cuts-calories-in-half-and-114164120417.html

Some comments try to give rough figures but nothing too scientific! Here's the comment thread, plenty of interesting discussion going on there too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/3090k6/scientists_have_discovered_a_simple_way_to_cook/

• Advertisement
Advertisement