Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI refusing lease as proof of residency (despite asking for one!)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cathy1985

Also, I wasn't asked for a p60 or p21 is this normal? I'm thinking of just sending it in Nyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Cathy1985 wrote: »
    Also, I wasn't asked for a p60 or p21 is this normal? I'm thinking of just sending it in Nyways

I'd send in anything official like those if you have them, just make sure you are sending copies rather than the originals. And keeping the originals all stored away together so if you have to appeal you have them ready. I had to make three appeals but it was worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

There is no need to submit any revenue documents as SUSI have direct links to both revenue and social welfare.

Sup08 wrote: »
    There is no need to submit any revenue documents as SUSI have direct links to both revenue and social welfare.

I would not trust they would use those links, and submitting them cannot do any harm.

dusf wrote: »
    I would not trust they would use those links, and submitting them cannot do any harm.

They use them for every person on every application.
    Some people have several jobs and therfore only submit only 1 P60. The links would show all income and therefore a more definitive and factual result on a person's actual income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Cathy1985

Hey guys, just letting you know I got sorted with Hiccups ☺ fees has been awarded

Hey guys, just letting you know I got sorted with Hiccups ☺ fees has been awarded

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sup08 wrote: »
    Bank statements are not accepted as proof unless it is related to the property, IE: a mortgage statement.

That's.... interesting, considering bank statements are acceptable proof of address when applying for a passport - a much more important application.
    dfa.ie wrote:
    Proof of address
    An original document showing proof of your address, such as a utility bill, bank statement or official correspondence from a public or private sector organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lisacj

Just wondering what documentation they accepted in the end?

Hi, I am in a similar situation this year. I don't have a utility bill for the period SUSI requires.

I lived in a house with my landlord, I didn't have a PRTB lease.

Where did you get your lease from? you mention a shop?

Sorry for all the questions, I am at my wits end dealing with SUSI

• Advertisement

lisacj wrote: »
    Hi, I am in a similar situation this year. I don't have a utility bill for the period SUSI requires.

I lived in a house with my landlord, I didn't have a PRTB lease.

Where did you get your lease from? you mention a shop?

Sorry for all the questions, I am at my wits end dealing with SUSI

Hi Lisa

Sorry I missed your first post here, back to college at the end of August so things have been hectic.

I had thought the lease was purchased in a shop but the landlord just told me you buy them in some court near the Four Courts, but they could not provide the name. They think they are about €5 a lease.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else, I will be keep and eye our for thread updates.

Hi Lisa

Sorry I missed your first post here, back to college at the end of August so things have been hectic.

I had thought the lease was purchased in a shop but the landlord just told me you buy them in some court near the Four Courts, but they could not provide the name. They think they are about €5 a lease.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else, I will be keep and eye our for thread updates.

Thanks for getting back to me. I wonder will SUSI accept leases now, website seems to say specifically
    "A letter confirming that this address is registered with the PRTB(Private Residential
    Tenancies Board)
    A Local Authority Lease Agreement, for example, under the Rental Accommodation
    Scheme, (RAS)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi Lisa

There is a stationary business up Bridgeford St that does legal documents.
    I can't think of its name but its on the right just past the lighting shop and Brazen Head

Thanks for getting back to me. I wonder will SUSI accept leases now, website seems to say specifically
    "A letter confirming that this address is registered with the PRTB(Private Residential
    Tenancies Board)
    A Local Authority Lease Agreement, for example, under the Rental Accommodation
    Scheme, (RAS)"

They must have changed it, it definitely gave lease as an example before. My advice would be to submit anything and everything you can.

They must have changed it, it definitely gave lease as an example before. My advice would be to submit anything and everything you can.

Thanks, thats what I have been doing. I just keep getting letters back looking for a utility with my name on it! I am waiting on vodafone to send me out old bills as I may have had fixed broadband at the address I lived in the year prior to starting back to college. Vodafone are not very helpful as it is a good few years ago now, but fingers crossed.

Other than that I am stumped. Did the appeal process take long? Will they let me appeal if they haven't really accpeted my appliacation yet as I have not submitted the required documents?

Thanks, thats what I have been doing. I just keep getting letters back looking for a utility with my name on it! I am waiting on vodafone to send me out old bills as I may have had fixed broadband at the address I lived in the year prior to starting back to college. Vodafone are not very helpful as it is a good few years ago now, but fingers crossed.

Yeah, this is the sort of thing you have to do. Can you not remember if you had fixed broadband a few years ago? :P Keep calling vodafone, go to a store, if you live near Dublin go to their main offices in Stillorgan - give the appeal everything. Any other bills you might have had in your name?
    Other than that I am stumped. Did the appeal process take long?

I think it took a month or two for each appeal to come back, I think I went through four appeals in all.
    Will they let me appeal if they haven't really accpeted my appliacation yet as I have not submitted the required documents?

Hmm, I do not think you can appeal until your application is rejected but you should confirm that with SUSI to be sure.

I'm not 100% sure if it was mobile broadband or fixed as I had both around that time. Vodafone said I would receive my old bills in post today or tomorrow so fingers crossed.

That's.... interesting, considering bank statements are acceptable proof of address when applying for a passport - a much more important application.

This is only for proof of current address and is in relation to proof of independence set out in the scheme.
    Every Irish citizen is entitled to a passport and no person is entitled to a grant but they must prove they are eligible.

Yeah, this is the sort of thing you have to do. Can you not remember if you had fixed broadband a few years ago? :P Keep calling vodafone, go to a store, if you live near Dublin go to their main offices in Stillorgan - give the appeal everything. Any other bills you might have had in your name?

So vodafone got back to me. They have no record of me having broadband back then (despite me having my customer number etc) as they delete all records of old accounts after a few years. I even spoke to a manager, no joy.

I definitely didn't have any other bills in my name back then.

Really not sure what to do now.

So vodafone got back to me. They have no record of me having broadband back then (despite me having my customer number etc) as they delete all records of old accounts after a few years. I even spoke to a manager, no joy.

I definitely didn't have any other bills in my name back then.

Really not sure what to do now.

Any progress with the lease? Since you were asking where to buy one can I take it you are on good terms with the landlord, and they are willing to draft the lease, or even better supply you with the original (or a copy?)

Also, if you are on good terms with them, perhaps they would write you a letter declaring you were a tenant of theirs?

Have you anything else with your address on it from that time? Submit things even if they are not requested by SUSI.

• Advertisement

Any progress with the lease? Since you were asking where to buy one can I take it you are on good terms with the landlord, and they are willing to draft the lease, or even better supply you with the original (or a copy?)

Also, if you are on good terms with them, perhaps they would write you a letter declaring you were a tenant of theirs?

Have you anything else with your address on it from that time? Submit things even if they are not requested by SUSI.

Ya we are still in contact. I sent a letter from her explaining that I just rented a room, hence my name not on bills. Also sent off every scrap of paper that has my name on it from when I lived at that address, bank statements, letter from my GP, etc etc.

SUSI haven't been in touch in a week or two. I'll need to ring them and tell them Vodafone didn't come through for me.

I can get my old landlady to fill in some kind of lease, just not sure where to get one in Galway.

Ring the PRTB and ask on Monday where you can get one in Galway. And I strong recommend including a letter from your old landlady outlining the dates you were living at that address.

Advertisement