Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20-40 acre farm

Options
  • 23-03-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi lads,me and the father have been looking at farms lately 20-40 acres ideally.we work together as it is and have a bit of free time.
    What would be the best way to make a profit livestock or grains etc
    I do know it's a small farm and not going to have huge income but it's more a hobby that pays.
    Would I be eligible for any grants seen as have never farmed professionally before.
    We wouldn't be going in completely blind we get on very well with the local farmers can go for help if need be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hi lads,me and the father have been looking at farms lately 20-40 acres ideally.we work together as it is and have a bit of free time.
    What would be the best way to make a profit livestock or grains etc
    I do know it's a small farm and not going to have huge income but it's more a hobby that pays.
    Would I be eligible for any grants seen as have never farmed professionally before.
    We wouldn't be going in completely blind we get on very well with the local farmers can go for help if need be.

If ya want to go down the livestock route either buy weanlings at start of the year and sell in Nov or rear calves but stay away from cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

when would you have to submit for grants. when is the deadline for 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Reggie. wrote: »
    If ya want to go down the livestock route either buy weanlings at start of the year and sell in Nov or rear calves but stay away from cows.

I was thinking something along that line.
    Neither of us want to be there for hours a day just pop in have a look etc
    Calving would be way to much work and milking is out of the question..
    We were also thinking of maybe sowing oats or spuds what are people views on this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I was thinking something along that line.
    Neither of us want to be there for hours a day just pop in have a look etc
    Calving would be way to much work and milking is out of the question..
    We were also thinking of maybe sowing oats or spuds what are people views on this

Your going into machinery territory there. Either hiring it in or buying it for tillage

Advertisement