Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy one expensive house or purchase cheaper house and buy to let apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

bubblypop wrote: »
    But, if you bought a place for cash, then the monthly income would be just that, right? Minus whatever taxes etc you have to pay. Then its still monthly income.
    I wouldn't have a mortgage to pay.

I just can't think of anything else that I could put 200,000 euro into and get an income from every month?

It's actually detrimental in someways not to have a mortgage as you're not getting tax relief on it. That aside, the effective tax rate is likely to be 53% unless you're income is quite low. So lets say you get a great deal and a €200,000 apartment is generating a 9% yield.

200,000 @ 9% = 18000 income
    You might have €3000 worth of deducible expenses.
    Giving you a taxable gross profit of €15,000 that's a tax liability of €7950.

Cashflow:

€18000, less €3000, = €15000, less €7950 = 7050 or 587.50 per month. Worth the hassle? You decide.

The above is making the assumption of a 100% occupancy rate and that the tenant always pays. It's less risky for you as if you have no income/a loss you can carry that forward but are you willing to walk into your investment after a year of having no money coming in to find a five figure sum in damage?

I'm focusing on the negatives as many seem to be focusing solely on the positives.

€7050 return per year on €200,000 is 3.5% roughly? (Although that's net but optimistic). I'm not a FA but I'd be surprised if a higher return wasn't possible.

Please feel free to correct the calculations - as I say most of my time in tax law was spent day dreaming.

Advertisement