Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you / would you wear your wedding ring?

Options
  • 20-03-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭

I myself will never wear a wedding ring, as I dislike wearing any jewellery whatsoever.

Someone I know well has a similar attitude, he started wearing it after he got married, but quickly found himself fidgeting / playing with it all the time, to the point that he was leaving it behind him in public places! He eventually just took it off completely.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on the same.

Do you / would you wear your wedding ring? 115 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Faithmr potato headangeldelight[Deleted User]MeleftoneelekidxzantiJwacquiJohn MasonDemocAnarchiscute_cowJayRoctricky@Tropheustread_softlyRoesyorlyiceBeardySipwurpleMr. Incognito 115 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No
    I can't wait to wear mine :). It'll be like my engagement ring, I'll only take it off to sleep and to wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

No
    Oh he nearly left it somewhere!! Ohhh..

Must say now I would but then I would also be of the thinking that I would not wear it all the time..

Saying this now the finger I normally have a ring on (right hand) feels like it is missing something... I have my engagement ring on, and I am hoping to get one to fit over that but thinking I might get a new ring also to go on a different finger..

Himself doesn't wear jewellery and I wouldn't expect him to wear a ring unless he wanted to.. I have offered to pierce his nose instead a bull ring would be a nice gesture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No
    We both wear ours but it wouldn't bother me if my husband decided not to. My parents never wore rings so it isn't a big deal. My ring is fancy so I'll always wear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

No
    As someone who doesn't wear jewellery often, it took me ages to get used to wearing my engagement ring. I still take it off every time I get home and put it away until the next time I leave the house! I have left without it on a couple of occasions! I can't imagine having to wear two rings! It'll take some getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

FH has started wearing his already.
    We're not even getting married for another three months.

I'll wear mine once we're married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I put my rings on whenever I leave the house (the odd time I forget tho), but take tjem off whenever I get back home. I just find them uncomfortable or something around the house. My OH only ever wears his if he hoes for a night out. He wouldn't wear it everyday to work etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

No, never wear it.

I don't like wearing jewellery.

That said, I'd wear it if she wanted me to!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have worn rings for a long time, so wearing a wedding ring was pretty much a no brainer for me. Though my Dad basically never wore one,k so it's not like I was continuing any family tradition. He lost his in the sea a few years after getting married and didn't get it replaced until his 35th anniversary.

Wedding ring is on pretty much 24x7. The only times I've taken it off are going for a swim.

That said, I refused outright to get a gold band as I just don't like wearing gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Before we separated, I didn't really like wearing my engagement or wedding rings as they used to bug me.
    I never wear jewellery, especially rings, so having these 2 quite bulky things on my finger wasn't comfortable and I also found the skin underneath used to get itchy if I didn't dry my hands properly after washing them.

I used to just wear them on nights out and special occasions after a while, I didn't wear them in the day.

If I ever marry again I'll either go for no ring at all, or get a very simple and thin band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No
    Actually I remember now himself lost the first one so I was glad it was cheap. Got a second cheap one that does the job fine. He's not into gold or platinum so the tungsten carbide one did grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I thought it would be weird to wear it, never notice it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

No
    I never wore jewellery but since engagement and wedding I've always worn my rings. Only take them off when washing. Can't imagine not wearing them, feel strange without them. OH always wears his too though he takes it off everytime he washes his hands. I keep teasing him he will forget and leave it in a public toilet or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

MarkR wrote: »
    I thought it would be weird to wear it, never notice it now.

I'm the exact same. I'd didn't realise that men actually wore wedding rings as no one I knew wore one. Haven't taken mine off since getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh he nearly left it somewhere!! Ohhh..

His wife basically ended up terrified that he was going to lose it (it was a pretty pricey one I think) so came to the conclusion that she was happier with him not wearing it and knowing that it was safe in a drawer. I guess it gets taken out for special occasions perhaps, though I am not sure.

If I wore one myself I think I would also be constantly fidgeting with it, and it would probably drive others mad more than myself!

I can't help but wonder though are there folk about who would take serious offense if their other half refused to wear the ring? I'm sure that it could still be a bone of contention for some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't wear jewelry normally but my wedding ring only comes off for washing. I have an engagement ring but find it gets caught in everything so never wear it.

My husband never wears jewelry but wears his wedding ring religiously, not at my insistence he just likes wearing it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

No
    I always wear my engagement and wedding rings, they are quite big and heavy (I inherited them in case anyone thinks this is a stealth boast!) but as I've always worn big jewellery I adjusted to them very quickly. They get caught on the odd jumper and scarf but I've always had rings on the other hand do that anyway so I'm used to it. I only take them off when going abroad and put them in a safe then, otherwise they are on me the whole time. If I took them off to wash things or swim or whatever that's when I'd lose them.

My husband doesn't wear jewellery because he hates it and because he'd lose it...as he proved with his very cheapy wedding ring that we bought just for the day, he lost it the next day going on honeymoon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I never wore rings before getting engaged but it took no time at all to adjust. I've actually had to stop wearing them in the house while my baby's small as it's too easy to scratch him with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We didn't bother with wedding or engagement rings. Himself was all for the wedding rings until he saw the price :D I wear two rings already that go back years and one of those is on my wedding finger and its enough, any more and my hand would feel crowded. I'd also be worried sick as I am always losing the rings I do have.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No
    I wear my wedding and engagement rings on my left hand, and eternity ring on my right hand. I never take them off. My fingers started to swell a lot when I was pregnant, so I wore them on a chain around my neck.

My husband wears his wedding ring all the time now. He used to be a plumber prior to the recession, and when he was doing that he had to take the ring off while he was in work because it was dangerous to have it on. Now he works in IT and he wears it all the time. I got him a ring for his 30th this year, it's a piece of meteorite set in titanium, and he wears that on his right hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No
    Never really wore rings full time until I got engaged.

Now - I have three rings. I have the wedding and engagement rings on the left hand, and my eternity ring on my right. I take off the gem rings when washing up, cleaning and showering, but the wedding ring stays on. Occasionally, I'll go out and forget to put the gems on, so my wedding ring looks a little lonely! I've got a 3mm patterned band, as I'm not a fan of the all-diamond (e-ring, wedding and eternity ring) look.

My husband never wore rings before we married. He wanted a wedding ring though, and has never taken it off except for when it needs to be re-plated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not a jewellery person either. She knows this (its been 9 years!) and I've reiterated that I won't be wearing the ring. She's giving me a bit of jip for my attitude and keeps saying stuff like, "just try it, it might grow on you" :confused:

Not gonna happen. This day 5 weeks and counting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I absolutely hate the feeling of rings on my fingers so I don't wear an engagement ring or a wedding ring. My husband doesn't wear a wedding ring either. He didn't mind at all that I didn't want to wear a ring and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

No
    I never wore jewellery before but now I feel a bit naked without my rings on. I take them off to shower, to clean our guinea pigs' cages, and if it's a warm night as my fingers swell.

I don't have a traditional engagement ring so there's nothing to snag, and the rings themselves are cheap as chips, but I'd still be upset if I lost them. But what I love more than my rings is my "ring dent" - the mark on my finger from wearing them. For some reason I really love having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

No
    I never wore rings before getting engaged but I wear my rings all the time. I only take them off when putting on hand cream. I couldn't wear them from 6 months pregnant and really missed them. My husband claimed he wouldn't wear his ring after the wedding but wanted quite a pricey one. His choice was a cheap band for the day or a nice one which he would wear all the time. He got the nice one and he wears it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

No
    I never wore rings before getting engaged. I loved my engagement ring from the start but it took me a while to get used to wearing it. Now I only take it off for washing and swimming. My wedding ring fits around it so you wouldn't even notice you were wearing it. My husband got me a ring made the Christmas after our first baby was born. It's got all three of our birthstones on it. I love it, it's quite unusual looking and has huge sentimental value but this one took me longer to get used to wearing. Maybe just a less comfortable ring. My husband wasn't sure he'd get used to wearing a wedding ring because he doesn't wear jewellery. He was really surprised by how quickly he got used to it though. I don't think I would have pushed it or been that upset if he didn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

My husband doesn't wear his during the week (Due to work) But does if we're/he's going out.
    I didn't for the first 2 or 3 years until my husband asked why I didn't wear it.

I pointed out that he didn't wear his. And he pointed out that he'd chosen to very a tattoo with our wedding date on it. Couldn't argue with that. My rings now stay on. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

Never did wear jewelry, so the wedding ring was a nuisance, kept fiddling with it and was forever looking for it when it fell. Lost it in sea in Tramore doing a triathlon after about 3 years. It was irreplaceable ! So didn't get another one. As it happens.... 34 years married today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Married 3 years nearly, still take it off a lot and fidget with with

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No
    I used to be like Phoebe wearing about 8 rings at a time :pac:

I mostly only wear my engagement ring now, it's a bit flashy and hard to find jewellery to go with it. Looking forward to getting the wedding ring so I'll have one more to wear, though I wish it were for another finger. My hands feel so naked :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I hated mine when I first got married, kept rolling it and pulling it on and off , my knuckle started hurting , I thought I was going to do perminant damage unless I either stopped messing with it or took it off .

I just got used to it , I don't even know it's there any more .

I tried the same with contact lenses , tried for weeks. Not a hope .

Horses for courses

Advertisement