Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishing an identity

Options
  • 20-03-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,246 ✭✭✭✭

Its getting more and more difficult to prove who you are, now that service providers are going to online billing.

If you want to open a new bank account (despite having been with the bank for any number of years and having several other accounts with them) or hire a carpet cleaner, or any number of other things in between, you need identification. Not just a drivers license or a passport but also proof of address.

This has to be a service provider or state document with your name and address on it. I am now down to bank statements (which I don't feel inclined to share with hire companies) and the eircom bill which happens to be in my husbands name, and is no use to me. Long established statements from such as a home heating fuel firm, a business invoice, or an appointment for the hospital are not considered reliable evidence. (hospital appointment letters are sometimes ok, if you happen to have one, but they are also none of anyone else's business)

Even if we had identity cards, they would not establish address any more than a passport or a drivers license, so what is the alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Good point OP... like yourself I get pretty much everything online (fuel/toll bills, TV/BB, bank statements etc). Luckily I still have the mobile bill but that's about all.

I'd imagine that it'll move to biometrics like fingerprint scanners next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Registering your residency is the norm in continental Europe. Child or adult, native or foreign, everyone is in the system. When you do so, you get an ID card. Many will have your address, but even if not, a bank or other institution will accept the ID as it can be cross checked if necessary. It also means that you have to be over a certain age to use cigarette machines in many countries, as many modern cards have a chip which will give the machine this information. And when you move apartment, things like post and the like can be automatically redirected.

However, you're in the system. Your address, financial, insurance and credit records are all linked. And you need to bring your ID everywhere otherwise you'll end up being fined.

Anglophone countries, like Ireland, don't like this kind of loss of privacy. They've tried introducing it in the UK on numerous occasion and it's always failed. And so until we'd no longer rather go through hoops to open a bank account than be tracked in any way, I suspect this is not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A picture of you mowing your own lawn naked while holding a copy of todays newspaper.

Nothing less is acceptable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was opening a bank account in the Czech Republic.

Bank teller: Can I see your ID
    (I give my passport)

Bank teller: Can I see your national ID card?
    Me: We dont have ID cards in Ireland.

Bank teller: Can I see proof of address in Ireland?
    Me: Heres a recent bill

Bank teller: Theres no post code on it. Whats the Post code?
    Me:We dont have Post codes in Ireland.

Bank teller: Thats it. Im moving to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We need a national i.d. card though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Learn to drive, get driving licence.

biko wrote: »

A lot of people don't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

kneemos wrote: »
    A lot of people don't drive.

You don't even need a car to get a license, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Electoral register is proof of address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Revenue documents are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

biko wrote: »

Still need proof of address though.

OP, most online bills can be downloaded as a pdf and printed. I had to do it a couple of weeks ago to open a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

hardCopy wrote: »
    Still need proof of address though.

OP, most online bills can be downloaded as a pdf and printed. I had to do it a couple of weeks ago to open a bank account.

I do the same. Just print out your esb/eircom bill and thats usually enough. I mean, those are exactly what the company does anyway when they send you your printed bill.

Nichololas wrote: »

But you have to do theory tests and sho1t.plus it costs and doesn't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Electoral register is proof of address

It is in its hole... there are shed loads of people on the electoral register that haven't lived at the address in years, are dead or don't even live in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Go on the proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This kind of thing is a pain in the arse, but I can usually drum up correspondence from that thar god-dam Revenoo (sp'too) when necessary. I do sometimes wonder how folk with no passport/driver's license/social services card manage to identify themselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jimgoose wrote: »
    This kind of thing is a pain in the arse, but I can usually drum up correspondence from that thar god-dam Revenoo (sp'too) when necessary. I do sometimes wonder how folk with no passport/driver's license/social services card manage to identify themselves though.

What address do Irish Travellers put on their Vehicle Registration Forms ?

Um, I dunno - Dark Side of the Moon?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Bills from service providers don't exactly come with holograms or watermarks or any other anti counterfeiting measure whatsoever. Take any bill addressed to anybody at any address, scan it in, photoshop in whatever details you like, and print it out.

• Advertisement

Nichololas wrote: »

You need to pass the test though.

strobe wrote: »
    Bills from service providers don't exactly come with holograms or watermarks or any other anti counterfeiting measure whatsoever. Take any bill addressed to anybody at any address, scan it in, photoshop in whatever details you like, and print it out.

A friend of mine was moving home and the new landlord asked him for a work reference. He was out of work at the time so he took the invoice from a dell server he'd just bought and scanned it. Changed the invoice details and did some creative writing, kept the header, footer and logo and sent it off.

He's there 2 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

syklops wrote: »
    A friend of mine was moving home and the new landlord asked him for a work reference. He was out of work at the time so he took the invoice from a dell server he'd just bought and scanned it. Changed the invoice details and did some creative writing, kept the header, footer and logo and sent it off.

He's there 2 years now.

I like the cut of his jib. Inform him of my jib admiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The address of the car's owner?

Sorry, I know, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I have been without a driving licence for a few months now as I don't have a passport and no Guard or solicitor knows me and my GP has emigrated to New Zealand. I have my long birth cert and that's it. I was willing to fork out for a Passport but the Passport office asked me to get a Identification form signed and it's this form that needs either a Guard, Solicitor or GP to sign it and confirm that they know you personally. My bank manager said he would sign it but would need either a passport or driving licence to confirm I was who I said I was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Their number plate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

A picture of a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have been without a driving licence for a few months now as I don't have a passport and no Guard or solicitor knows me and my GP has emigrated to New Zealand. I have my long birth cert and that's it. I was willing to fork out for a Passport but the Passport office asked me to get a Identification form signed and it's this form that needs either a Guard, Solicitor or GP to sign it and confirm that they know you personally. My bank manager said he would sign it but would need either a passport or driving licence to confirm I was who I said I was :)

Really? Mine is up for renewal next year.. Passport expired a year or two back, don't have a GP, don't know any Gardai and have never needed a solicitor. My bank account is in a branch I haven't been in in years as I do everything online... feck!

Surely a Garda will sign it seeing as you have a birth-cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Get yourself sent to prison , there you get a prison I.D. card with your picture on it , your address becomes care of Mountjoy prison or if female care of the Ladyjoy prison.
    Compliment the above with a snazzy neck tattoo of your name.......you may all bask in my reflected glory.

Thank you.
    Anto.

Advertisement