Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: The NSA physically intercepts electronic goods to plant tapping devices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Also to anyone who suggests that Ireland's tapping infrastructure is outdated, bear in mind that Eircom was one of the first ISPs in the Western world to openly practise deep packet inspection. Well not exactly openly, but there seems to be no alternative method by which the TBP block could have been implemented in the way that it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

On the subject of Snowden, everyone should watch Citizenfour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

hardly surprising at this stage. even though it used to be relegated to the conspiracy theory forum. how things change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

alb wrote: »
    On the subject of Snowden, everyone should watch Citizenfour

It tickled me quite a bit that that was the only movie of the last ten years that didn't leak instantly on the torrents when it was released. People were going mad on the sites for weeks wondering why they couldn't get their hands on it right away as usual, was like gold dust that'd been hidden away in the unicorn universe by leprachauns employed by sasquaches that were really good at preventing things from leaking. The most unleakable movie of the last ten years was the Ed Snowden movie? Anyone? I mean c'mon? That's a things isn't it? No? No one? Ah go fvck yourselves so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its nothing new, from the very start of organised communication it's been going on.
    In July 1655 the Post Office was put under the direct government control of John Thurloe, a Secretary of State, and best known to history as Cromwell's spymaster general. Previous English governments had tried to prevent conspirators communicating, Thurloe preferred to deliver their post having surreptitiously read it. As the Protectorate claimed to govern all of Great Britain and Ireland under one unified government, on 9 June 1657 the Second Protectorate Parliament (which included Scottish and Irish MPs) passed the "Act for settling the Postage in England, Scotland and Ireland" that created one monopoly Post Office for the whole territory of the Commonwealth.[12][13] The first Postmaster General was appointed in 1661, and a seal was first fixed to the mail.[14]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

They hardly need bother tbh, people rushed out to snap up smartphones. Ta daah, all in one personal surveillance feedback right in your paw and no need to impose it on anyone. Tracking, data, pictures and even nice clear video whenever required. iGotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When I was a teenager I assumed MSN was being monitored by the US Government and figured my text messages were being monitored by the Brits and handed over to the US.

I wonder if they were doing it back then too. Always figured the messages were being intercepted online and texts go through the message centre. Meh.

Advertisement