Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Ideas based on your budget

Options
  • 19-03-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am working the last few years as a web developer in travel industry and what I found missing, was a website were you give the amount of money you want to spend and it returns you travel ideas with all the possible destinations that matches your budget for flights+accommodation. Eg. Where can I go on Saturday for 2 days with 300 euro.

With a friend (also a developer) we worked on this idea for a few months and our first public beta is available. If anyone wants to give it a try the url is http://www.flybreak.com . I would really appreciate any feedback. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

just seen your post and I can already say wow after trying it out really cool and such a great idea well done!!! loads faster than lowcostholidays too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

unseen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am working the last few years as a web developer in travel industry and what I found missing, was a website were you give the amount of money you want to spend and it returns you travel ideas with all the possible destinations that matches your budget for flights+accommodation. Eg. Where can I go on Saturday for 2 days with 300 euro.

With a friend (also a developer) we worked on this idea for a few months and our first public beta is available. If anyone wants to give it a try the url is http://www.flybreak.com . I would really appreciate any feedback. :)

Love this site!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Great site. if you could search by Category that would be cool. Sun holiday, City Break etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fantastic idea, would like a category list also. Potential to limit it to countries aswell. Really impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Great idea! I'm slightly addicted now! Again, would love if we could filter by category/country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Yes. Nicely done, OP. Some more categories and you're onto a winner for sure. Very handy and somehow weirdly addictive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 eest

thanks for the good words!
    categories were on the list of planned features but you just bumped it closer to the top

Also a domestic version would be good or just a list of countries with Ireland included ..........

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Also a domestic version would be good or just a list of countries with Ireland included ..........

do you mean something like "where can I go in my own country for such and such budget?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Really like the site, the homepage design is well nice!

I tried accessing it from my android phone first and there was issues with the input fields not reading the numbers from my keypad. Not sure if it was the website or my crappy a$$ phone though!

I'll definitely be checking back with this website. Well done so far.

• Advertisement

eest wrote: »
    do you mean something like "where can I go in my own country for such and such budget?"

Exactly ......... me and the wife are thinking of a little break in Ireland this year with the kids so it'd be nice to have that option on your site.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Exactly ......... me and the wife are thinking of a little break in Ireland this year with the kids so it'd be nice to have that option on your site.

got it. unseen will be happy to read this - this was his very first thought :)

local travel needs things like buses, trains, car rentals, road maps, attractions. whole new game but it is interesting! we'll get there step by step...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Love this. It's there any way to not have to select specific date? Kind of like on sky scanner where you can organise by whole month instead?

Love this. It's there any way to not have to select specific date? Kind of like on sky scanner where you can organise by whole month instead?

we are using skyscanner behind the scenes so open date is not a problem for flights but a bit harder for the hotels because price depends on the length of stay. interesting challenge...

we can do intermediate screen with some indicative prices or something alike

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

That is an excellent website. Very easy to navigate and use. Fair play to you. I am sure it will be a success.

(I do a good few day-trip flights every year so maybe sometime there could be a option that just shows same day return flights within a particular budget for a particular day - like where can I go and return to and from on the same day for x ammount of money)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'd say you should get the version now working right before adding domestic and whatnot to it.

a concrete suggestion would be to have a look at the airports being offered, as I have all sorts of rare military and other non functioning air fields suggested as starting points near me (i.e. near Munich)

Maybe also allow a grouping of airports, so south Ireland shows any option for Shannon, Cork or Kerry airport. East Ireland is say Belfast and Dublin, West Ireland is Shanon/ Knock
    I've seen this done in Germany with travel booking websites.
    When you live between airports rather than really close to one particular one, then you dont care which one you fly from as no airport is particular handy to you.

I'd say you should get the version now working right before adding domestic and whatnot to it.

Thank you for the feedback, especially for your practical advice. Of course, we are not going straight to our keyboards to implement everything mentioned here but such advices and feature recommendations have big value because they are much less biased than our own opinions.

Customisation of the search (e.g. focus on categories or specific destination regions) and fixing the airport selection are two big things that we planned to focus on but this thread gave us some interesting ideas for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great website. Well done.

What about an option to filter hotels by type, or eliminate certain kinds of accommodation such as hostels? I've done a few searches so far and quite a few hostels/shared dormitory results are coming up. (I thought that was surprising, as I started the search with quite a generous budget.) I love a good travel bargain as much as the next person, but my days of staying in hostels are far behind me. I doubt if I am alone in that.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Great website. Well done.

What about an option to filter hotels by type, or eliminate certain kinds of accommodation such as hostels? I've done a few searches so far and quite a few hostels/shared dormitory results are coming up. (I thought that was surprising, as I started the search with quite a generous budget.) I love a good travel bargain as much as the next person, but my days of staying in hostels are far behind me. I doubt if I am alone in that.

I think you have expensive flights to the destinations where you see hostels as accommodation options. Flybreak is trying to find the best accommodation for you after locating the flights and sometimes hostels are "the best option" but, in fact, it is all that's left after the flights. We'll make hostels and shared accommodation optional and off by default. Thank you for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think you have expensive flights to the destinations where you see hostels as accommodation options. Flybreak is trying to find the best accommodation for you after locating the flights and sometimes hostels are "the best option" but, in fact, it is all that's left after the flights. We'll make hostels and shared accommodation optional and off by default. Thank you for the advice!

I get the logic of that, but in one of the cases, the budget was 500 euros and the total cost of the trip was only 300. There was still 200 euros to wiggle around with, so I was surprised that they couldn't find even a budget hotel for that amount of money. Even if they couldn't, I'd still rather see a limited number of destinations listed, that all have a proper hotel, than lots of listings and half of them have hostels as the accommodation. That just wastes my time, but maybe its just me. :)

• Advertisement

got you. I agree this is a bit strange, I'll see what is happening there, could be another thing - hostels just have glowing reviews (as they often would) so system thinks "everyone likes them, they must be awesome, ProudDUB should like it too and we are saving 200 bucks in addition to that!" :)
    this should be fixed if we add default "no shared accommodation" option addition. we are figuring out the best algorithms now, with your kind help, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really like this. When fully developed will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Very impressed fair play. I'd like to be able to search by accommodation type too, if you had a star rating I think it would help. I'm looking at honeymoons at the moment and am looking for 4*+ and found a lot of cheap apartments and hostels too but to be fair I did also find places I never thought of.

I'll definitely use it again

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Thank you very much all for your kind words and for the support! Your feedback is much appreciated.

In the next few days you will the see some of the changes you suggested so keep coming back.

Also if you think that others will benefit from our little project please let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Is this being updated at the moment? as it doesnt seem to be working for me.

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Is this being updated at the moment? as it doesnt seem to be working for me.

Do you see any errors or just not getting results? We had issues on hosting today around lunch time but current status looks good. Thanks for asking!

Do you see any errors or just not getting results? We had issues on hosting today around lunch time but current status looks good. Thanks for asking!

No it just seems to be loading constantly, and even when I click into the company news nothing appears. I thought it might be my desktop but all other websites working at the moment. Thanks for your reply, actually quite excited to use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Very good idea will definitely use this site, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Manitoban wrote: »
    Very good idea will definitely use this site, well done!
    +1 - Also like it. Well done. Very nice look and feel to it.

• Advertisement

Figured it out. it was my computer. website is great, fair play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement