Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneers look after friends??!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Auctioneers are unregulated.

For once Eddie Hobbs is actually useful...http://www.eddiehobbs.com/HowToComplain/Auctionaries.htm

I wouldn't be confident making a complaint to either of those bodies.

You should wite to Eddie and tell him about the PSRA.
    Of course, Eddie himself spent quite a bit of time pushing property in the Cape Verde Islands.
    A country with very limited fresh water, and due to dissappear if sea levels rise by even a fraction of predictions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You should wite to Eddie and tell him about the PSRA.
    Of course, Eddie himself spent quite a bit of time pushing property in the Cape Verde Islands.
    A country with very limited fresh water, and due to dissappear if sea levels rise by even a fraction of predictions.

I won't bother as he's a fool.

Had a quick look at the PSRA site. It's wholly unimpressive and I wouldn't have much confidence in the ability of that body to resolve any issue with a rogue Auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The rogue is the problem.
    Have a look at the PSRA list of compliant Auctioneers, and check how many of your local firms are listed.
    Those not listed, have no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Auctioneers are unregulated.

Incorrect, they are now very much regulated. Make sure and report if you feel there is something dodgy going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

It would appear way more than the asking price.

I've just bought a house that went for below asking, in North Dublin. Would have pushed my luck a bit further, but Mrs Morini would have fallen over with stress. The other property I was interested in has dropped in price twice recently. My feeling is that prices for 'starter' homes are going for slightly more than they are worth, but there is better value and less competition when 'trading up'.

I also have to say that the Estate Agent I bought from was rubbish, but the Estate Agent I sold through was a gentleman, and appeared to look after both seller (me) and buyer well. Also know of other people who bought from him, and they were well treated.

So they're not all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

This thread is like Estate Agent Bingo!

I dare say that the occasional unscrupulous EA has helped a friend secure a property but I seriously doubt it amounted to anything more than heads up when a property became available or an indication of the amount needed to go sale agreed.

I find it very unlikley that it is necessary to be a developer with a reputation and all the EAs in the town in your pocket just to successfully bid on a house. If that was the case we'd be a nation of renters not owner occupiers.

When it comes to bidding on a house it isn't just a money game, the bidder's situation and credentials are all important. A cash buyer or first time buyer who is able to sign contracts quickly and complete the sale shortly thereafter will often go sale agreed at figure lower other bids. Bidders who are stuck in a chain or someone who comes across as a chancer or time waster (eg someone looking to do deals under the table or bidding without mortgage approval) will have their bids looked upon less favorably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Johngoose wrote: »
    Did anybody else find out that the house they had a reasonably high bid on was sold suddenly without so much as a phone call.I was the highest bidder on a property,when I looked up the house online soon after,it was marked as sold.I rang up to find it was indeed sold.Suspicious to say the least.

And when you checked the property price register, how much was it sold for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement