Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently 'pikey' means 'cheap'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

In the south of England it means gypsy or the "k" word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I always took it to mean a collection of either fish or medieval weapons. IE: Lets go stab them guys with our pikeys or, the river is full of pikeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In the south of England it means gypsy or the "k" word.

Kinkey? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

ScumLord wrote: »
    I always took it to mean a collection of either fish or medieval weapons. IE: Lets go stab them guys with our pikeys or, the river is full of pikeys.

I'm probably wrong, but is that not 'pike / pikes' rather than 'pikey / pikies'?

Zippie84 wrote: »
    I'm probably wrong,
    Probably, you probably wouldn't call a collection of swords, swordies, or use the term fishies which shows just how wrong you are. :pac:

• Advertisement

Probably, you probably wouldn't call a collection of swords, swordies, or use the term fishies which shows just how wrong you are. :pac:

So, the word used in the programme is 'pikey' and you're saying that the word used to describe a medieval sword is the same word - 'pikey' as opposed to 'pike'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I always took it to mean a collection of either fish or medieval weapons.

Ah jaysus you've never heard of a shoal of fish? And a collection of weapons in an arsenal.

So, the word used in the programme is 'pikey' and you're saying that the word used to describe a medieval sword is the same word - 'pikey' as opposed to 'pike'?
    What I'm saying is you add "ey" to the end of any word to describe multiples of that thing.
    PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus you've never heard of a shoal of fish? And a collection of weapons in an arsenal.
    Arsenal is a football team and a shoal is something my granny used to wear, unless she was wearing two of them then shed be wearing shoaleys.

What I'm saying is you add "ey" to the end of any word to describe multiples of that thing.

So you're not talking really about the word being discussed then at all? Just talking generally about language, and not about the word 'pikey'? :rolleyes:

Here's a bit of info on your pike medieval sword for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Sleepy wrote: »
    Who cares if it's offensive to the travelling community? Many aspects of their lifestyle are offensive to the rest of us (marrying girls to their cousins when they're not even old enough to have a drink at the reception, their poor record at ensuring their children attend school, poor tax compliance, poor record of respect for communal or other's property, their heavy dependence on social welfare while having an abysmal record of tax compliance etc.).

The right to not be offended doesn't exist.

There are laws regarding hate speak but this wouldn't come within an asses roar of that.

If Charlie Hebdo are entitled to take the piss out of Muslims, Top Gear are entitled to take the piss out of the travelling community imho.

Mod: watch it with the stereotyping

• Advertisement

So you're not talking really about the word being discussed then at all? Just talking generally about language, and not about the word 'pikey'? :rolleyes:
    I talking complete and utter nonsense, but it's not at all surprising to see it taken up as a sensible argument in a Clarkson thread.

I talking complete and utter nonsense, but it's not at all surprising to see it taken up as a sensible argument in a Clarkson thread.

No sensible or otherwise argument there. Always thought you were talking complete and utter nonsense ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What key opens any lock ?

A Pikey :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Pfft. Cheap? The cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

What key opens any lock ?

Jack dee ;)))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

To be honest I'm done with offensive. Stereotypes are just stereotypes and if you choose to believe them or take them seriously than more fool you. Everything is offensive nowadays. Looking at someone sideways is offensive. To me the Stephen Fry quote will always stand out as the true summary of "offense". Boo hoo.

I don't even get why things are about whether they are offensive or not.

I prefer to think about whether things cause harm or not. Now, that's much more relevant, and the word offensive doesn't actually mean all that much in reality, it's just stuck on everything.

Does X cause harm? Much better question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Intifada wrote: »
    I wonder would they excuse the word "jew" being used to describe somebody who is tight or untrustworthy

Considering the amount of Jews in the BBC it is essentially a nailed on certainty that the word Jew would not be forgiven the way pikey was.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

many do. you know, because the word might be offensive to some. which in a free democratic country like britain, one is entitled to have an issue with a word. you seem to care enough to post though.

all things not unique to the traveling community. but you don't really care about that. i'd bet you would probably not pay a cent if you thought you could get away with it. those who rant about travelers not paying tax would be the first not to pay themselves if they could get away with it

Ah shure they get away with scrounging and not contributing to the state. Leave them alone with your hard truths.

Stellar argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Kinkey? :p
    Are you a perv?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

AFAIK it's a term that's more associated with English Romanichals than Irish Travellers. There's quite a few in Kent and East Anglia for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

technically it does. one is entitled to be offended by something. whether they should be offended is a different story.

No, "technically" (whatever that means) it doesn't. A right is something which is enshrined in law and there is no law anywhere which states you have the right to live your life free from feeling offended, primarily because it would probably take up 90% of courts' time if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I went to Uni in Surrey and the student population commanly referred to people from the local council estate as being 'pikeys'. There was a lot of hostility between the local student and non-student communities so it wasn't said with any affection.

Prior to 'Snatch' I'd never heard it used in connection with gypsies at all, let alone Irish travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, it's crazy how brits take racist words and use them so much they now have been diluted enough to not even be racist any more. Mind boggling really.

On the other hand words that were not racist before are now racist. Like nig-nog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 imperator567

Apparently the word 'pikey' means 'cheap'... well, according to the BBC.,

Basically, traveller groups complained that the use of the word pikey was racist, but BBC Trust ruled that its use related to the contemporary meaning of the word as 'cheap' rather than specifically related to travellers.

whether it's offensive to travellers - I'm not a traveller, so not quite over to me to say.

But as for the use of the word - I don't watch Top Gear, but on hearing the word 'pikey' I wouldn't really have thought of it as meaning anything other than related to travellers.

So, interesting to hear it ruled that other viewers would

Maybe I'm the odd one out and just not up with to speed with the contemporary use of words :P

It cockney rhyming slang for traveller .

Do as you likey......Pikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

No harm to give it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

token101 wrote: »
    No, "technically" (whatever that means) it doesn't. A right is something which is enshrined in law and there is no law anywhere which states you have the right to live your life free from feeling offended, primarily because it would probably take up 90% of courts' time if it did.

So certain and yet so wrong. Obviously the right to be offended as used in English means both the legal and moral entitlement. From Webster.

a moral or legal entitlement to have or do something.
    "she had every right to be angry"

Replace angry with offended there.

taking offence is also legal, since it isn't illegal. people do have the legal right to take offence, which isn't the same as having legal recourse to act on that offence unless it's libellous.

Advertisement