Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aeolus Tyres - my review :)

Options
  • 17-03-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Just putting up a small thread about these Tyres, I get them from a local Tyre place here in West Cork and I find the tyre very good.

I normally go for the major brands but decided to try these the last time I needed a new set for my last car, Avensis, as the price was very competitive.

They have good grip in the dry, very good in the wet and are a quiet tyre too. I have just replaced the noname tyres on my wife's car, Mazda, with these and she too has noticed how good they are (That's saying a lot! :D )

I see them a lot too on other cars around Cork so people are catching on.

Would be interested to see if any other Boards members have them and what they think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Reviews online seem good, where are they made?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Reviews online seem good, where are they made?

New factory in China, from what the Tyre guy tells me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Aeolus tyres replacing "no name tyres".

Nope, not getting how Aeolus are less of a no name brand than whatever was on it before!

Edit - ok.. actual no branding at all on the last tyres. Yikes, I guessing it's not because they were super exclusive awesome tyres!

Aeolus tyres replacing "no name tyres".

Nope, not getting how Aeolus are less of a no name brand than whatever was on it before!

Have you tried them yourself?

What I meant by NoName tyres is that I could not see any name on the tyres, they were on the car when we got it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Never heard of them, where did you get them?
    I dont by top name brand tyres, but I dont buy very cheap Chinese stuff either, try to get middle of the road (tyres).

techie wrote: »
    Have you tried them yourself?
    I'm not the tyre guinea pig type. Maybe they're great. I just haven't had much luck with cheap China engineered products.

I'm not the tyre guinea pig type. Maybe they're great. I just haven't had much luck with cheap China engineered products.

I would normally agree with you, but the Tyre guy kept asking me to try them, so I did with the agreement that if I did not like them he would take them off.

I went through 2 sets on the Avensis I had and got good wear from them too.

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont by top name brand tyres, but I dont buy very cheap Chinese stuff either, try to get middle of the road (tyres).

I get them for Sean O'Connell in Crossbarry, I would now class them as a very good middle of the road tyre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I get them for Sean O'Connell in Crossbarry, I would now class them as a very good middle of the road tyre :D

What do they cost?

• Advertisement

The avensis took 205/55 16 and they were €65 each.

I would normally agree with you, but the Tyre guy kept asking me to try them, so I did with the agreement that if I did not like them he would take them off.

I went through 2 sets on the Avensis I had and got good wear from them too.

Coola boola, I picked up wrong on your "No name" reference. Sounds like a sound enough tyre guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Don't all tyres now have a A-G rating for wet,dry,fuel economy and so on....

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Your-Vehicles-Tyres-/Choosing-a-Tyre/

kyote00 wrote: »
    Don't all tyres now have a A-G rating for wet,dry,fuel economy and so on....

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Your-Vehicles-Tyres-/Choosing-a-Tyre/

Yes, the tyres I get are rated:

C, B and 71.

Here the link to see for yourselves:

http://www.aeolus-europe.com/en/our-tyres/aeolus-precisionstrongace-ah01strong-car-summer-tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The avensis took 205/55 16 and they were €65 each.

Thats actually quite expensive considering I got Bridgestone Turanzas in same size for my wife's car for the same price about 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tyre Stop were offering Michelin's in 205/55/r16 for €80 a corner fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

bazz26 wrote: »
    Tyre Stop were offering Michelin's in 205/55/r16 for €80 a corner fitted.
    for the same size hankooks can be got for 80 and pirellis 90

Thats actually quite expensive considering I got Bridgestone Turanzas in same size for my wife's car for the same price about 3 months ago.

Ok i would be interested to see their ratings compared to the Aeolus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Be better to have explanation why Chinese plastic can have better rating than top brands

Be better to have explanation why Chinese plastic can have better rating than top brands

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

I see he pushes them big time. he must have a lot more profit out of them compared to others. €65 was dear for them considering there still a budget brand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

cerastes wrote: »

I prefer left side of the road tyres myself but I suppose middle of the road tyres are better than far side of the wall tyres :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

C, B and 71dB

I'd take a Bridgestone tyre over Aeolus (which Ive never seen or heard of) anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That seems very cheap. Can you post where you got them or PM if you prefer. Think they're usually well over €110

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That seems very cheap. Can you post where you got them or PM if you prefer. Think they're usually well over €110

Could those be Part Worns for that price maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dunno, never got a PM anyway. Would be expensive for part worn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I read somewhere a while back, that Chinese manufacturing standards regarding tyres are now a lot more stringent, and that there is a push on manufacturing to make safer tyres in line with EU standards, the article I read (which I cannot find..) stated that instead of focusing on comfort (noise, long life... :) ... ) safety, grip in wet conditions, and stopping distances would be the major focus.

MAybe the Aeolus is the first of a welcome change in tyres from china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I read somewhere a while back, that Chinese manufacturing standards regarding tyres are now a lot more stringent, and that there is a push on manufacturing to make safer tyres in line with EU standards, the article I read (which I cannot find..) stated that instead of focusing on comfort (noise, long life... :) ... ) safety, grip in wet conditions, and stopping distances would be the major focus.

MAybe the Aeolus is the first of a welcome change in tyres from china.

I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fundthementals

jca wrote: »
    I doubt it...

I have fitted Aeolus as replacements for Bridgestone and Nokian on a B6 Passat and Galaxy resp - and on both cars I have found them to be excellent - low noise level, with excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions. Good mileage as well - 30k+ from front tyres on Passat TDI.

I'm not bothered really where the tyres are manufactured tbh - as long as they meet the required quality standards and in the case of Aeolus they definitely do. The anti "everything manufactured in China" view is a bit dated at this stage - I mean where does your Iphone 6 etc come from ??

• Advertisement

I have fitted Aeolus as replacements for Bridgestone and Nokian on a B6 Passat and Galaxy resp - and on both cars I have found them to be excellent - low noise level, with excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions. Good mileage as well - 30k+ from front tyres on Passat TDI.

I'm not bothered really where the tyres are manufactured tbh - as long as they meet the required quality standards and in the case of Aeolus they definitely do. The anti "everything manufactured in China" view is a bit dated at this stage - I mean where does your Iphone 6 etc come from ??

I don't rely on an iPhone to stop 1.5 tons in the wet. I've had triangle tires before and they should be banned from selling them here especially as they are rated " b " grip in rain. But like all hi flyer triangle long sail and what ever new name they come up with cheap plastic tyres are no substitute for real tyres

Advertisement