Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Normal Belly Fat Case

Options
  • 16-03-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey guys, I'm 15 and in great shape overall except for the belly fat I just can't seem to lose.
    I recently started to cut down on eating junk food(even though what I eat doesn't really make much a a difference for me personally) and every Friday I jog a few kilometres.
    At first I was thinking that losing it would be more of a natural process considering my general level of fitness waas quite high but there hasn't been much of a difference as of yet and I don't think it will change unless I do something about it.
    Does anyone have any exercises that will help? Honestly, I think sit-ups etc. are a waste of time because you need to do like 30-40 reps before feeling any kind of burn.
    Also, I'm trying to gain weight at the same time rather than losing weight to reveal the abs if you know what I mean.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You are eating too much food if you have a lot of belly fat, and the only way you will ever lose that belly is if you consistently eat less food. A huge amount of extra exercise might make a difference but it is mostly diet. The exercise you are doing is obviously not enough to outdo the extra calories you are eating, that will never change on its own. Situps can't reduce bellyfat, all they can do is improve the size and strength of your abdominal muscles. You can never make fat decrease at a specific location, it is done all across the body.

It is very very hard to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time unless you're a big fatty who has never really worked out before. You need to eat a calorie surplus to gain muscle and you need to eat a calorie deficit to lose fat. You don't want to do be doing anything too drastic at your age either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

ABCE wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm 15 and in great shape overall except for the belly fat I just can't seem to lose.
    I recently started to cut down on eating junk food(even though what I eat doesn't really make much a a difference for me personally) and every Friday I jog a few kilometres.
    At first I was thinking that losing it would be more of a natural process considering my general level of fitness waas quite high but there hasn't been much of a difference as of yet and I don't think it will change unless I do something about it.
    Does anyone have any exercises that will help? Honestly, I think sit-ups etc. are a waste of time because you need to do like 30-40 reps before feeling any kind of burn.
    Also, I'm trying to gain weight at the same time rather than losing weight to reveal the abs if you know what I mean.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you tried measuring different areas of your body. Although you may not be losing fat around your belly, you may be losing fat elsewhere.

I remember reading somewhere no isea where so no link that the belly fat is the hardest to get rid of so is usually the last to go.

Eat well, keep doing your running maybe add a bit of bodyweight exercises in there as well. burpees, push ups, crunches, pull ups, dips, planks. To make it more interesting you could do them in tabata form

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ABCE

Thanks guys, I guess the best option for me then is to eat loads of healthy food and burn even more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TracyWills

continue your jogging and so some diet. eat healthy foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ABCE wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I guess the best option for me then is to eat loads of healthy food and burn even more than that?
    http://simplesciencefitness.com/
    dominic munnelly's website @transform on here is really good

Lots of good info on above links.

Your young, you'll learn quick. Eat right, mix some resistance training with some cardio and your body will adapt quickly.

While your at it
    *Learn to cook
    *Just eat real food
    * Focus on being strong, fit and mobile rather than image.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Thank you!! I'll have a look at that site. I tend to not go for the looks anyway.. as long as everything feels good inside ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I think at 15 your body has still a good bit more growing to do, so if you think you have belly fat I wouldn't overly worry about it, don't do extreme diets or exercise just stay being healthy maybe a few sit ups front and side ones might help. But as I said don't go over board you might shoot up height wise yet so be grand.

If you have real concerns over it mention it to your gp next time you see them,to see if your bloated from eating something that may not agree with you.

Also I would feel wary about linking you to websites as your still at an age where it may not be acceptable to do so.

However as a former nurse for the NHS I would advise you to look at the section guide on the NHS website healthy eating for teens, its all medically certified by docters and nurses so your dietary requirements are met! I wouldn't really use any other sites as the information on it may not be medically sound.

Thanks Satori, but I'm making sure I eat enough food so I'm quite sure there aren't many mineral/vitamin deficiencies. As for exercise, I don't really lift weights so hopefully I'll go up an inch or two more...

I am sure you will be fine. You have a good few years left to grow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 iyogaprops

Going down the healthier route is definitely more advisable. There are lots of organic and natural alternatives in the market now for the usual processed food we eat. Don't eat less, just eat better!

There is no difference between organic or gmo foods, and in fact some organic foods are actually sprayed with chemicals last tested in the 1940's/50's. Best bet if in doubt is get your gp to recommend a nutritionist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Satori Rae wrote: »
    There is no difference between organic or gmo foods, and in fact some organic foods are actually sprayed with chemicals last tested in the 1940's/50's. Best bet if in doubt is get your gp to recommend a nutritionist :)

Dietitian!

Dead right about organic and gmo though.

Ha that is what I meant (blonde moment) Good notice Zillah :D

Advertisement