Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Board approves plan to commence TATL ops in 5 yrs

Options
  • 16-03-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Not a service of which I intend to avail, but a few folk might...
    Monday 16 March 2015 14.44 GMT

The Irish airline’s board has approved outline plans to fly between up to 14 European cities and the same number of US cities.

The services could start in four or five years’ time if the company can secure a deal to buy long-haul aircraft.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/mar/16/ryanair-plans-to-offer-flights-between-europe-and-america

Didn't we chat about this previously? There was a thread discussing potential aircraft.

I reckon they'll just buy Norwegian International and their 787s and put that lot out of their misery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As a big fan of Ryanair, I will definitely be availing of this service myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

arubex wrote: »
    Not a service of which I intend to avail, but a few folk might...

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/mar/16/ryanair-plans-to-offer-flights-between-europe-and-america

Didn't we chat about this previously? There was a thread discussing potential aircraft.

I reckon they'll just buy Norwegian International and their 787s and put that lot out of their misery.

This story has been re-hashed I don't know how many times over the years. Bit of free publicity for St.Patricks Day I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

These services are always said to be several years away and to be dependent on a deal on aircraft being feasible (whatever that actually means).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Cheltenham finished, slow news week...

Must be that time of the year again.....yawn

As an aside, I hope they do so I can avail cheaper fares their competitors will offer following their arrival....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Any day now.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

when i see a 787 or 767 on ryn livery ill believe it then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

zone 1 wrote: »

When the first flight arrives and then comes back is when I would believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

This time around some formal agreement seems to have come from the Ryanair board so not quite the same ol' news story...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

how many planes would they be looking at to start that trans.......

• Advertisement

I'll believe it when they put an aircraft order in. Irish times reporting they are in discussions with manufacturers. If its true bring it on, Id have no problem bringing a packed lunch, watch the iPad and have my knees a bit squashed for 6 hours for a dirt cheap flight to New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that Ryanair is a plc and this is a formal board decision, this should carry more weight than previous utterances from Michael O'Leary, which did not really have any grounding.

The stock market would not take too kindly in being misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I cant really wait 5 years. for my first trip to america. In 5 years prices will probably have rised.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As above this is merely an addition to the long running sage of the proposed RyanAtlantic. I have edited the thread title to reflect this update.

If and when they actually launch the operation,with a definite start date and/or widebody orders, then we can have a "Ryanair going Transatlantic" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sailing

They were also in discussions about buying Chinese aircraft not so long ago.

I'd take this with a pinch of salt and will believe it when I see it. Keeps the share price up on a slow news day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What's Comac up to these days? Does anyone know if the C919 is meant to have its first flight soon?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

From wiki:

The flight testbed was expected to enter final assembly in 2014, and perform its first flight sometime in 2015.[32] However, as of the 2014 Zhuhai Airshow, the first flight has been delayed to 2015, with the first delivery delayed to 2018.

Nim wrote: »
    What's Comac up to these days? Does anyone know if the C919 is meant to have its first flight soon?

Its a long way off delivery anyway(2018 originally 2014) Sure they have even got the ARJ-21 to customers yet. I think the Chinese are learning that aircraft building (or even cloning) isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

sully2010 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when they put an aircraft order in. Irish times reporting they are in discussions with manufacturers. If its true bring it on, Id have no problem bringing a packed lunch, watch the iPad and have my knees a bit squashed for 6 hours for a dirt cheap flight to New York.

Have to agree sully il avail of this legs squashed and all be grand but as said il believe it when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

What we need here is a Ryanair spokes person to shed the light exclusively to boards. Great pr for boards lol.

But the question is are they going to keep doing this every couple of months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jhcx wrote: »
    What we need here is a Ryanair spokes person to shed the light exclusively to boards. Great pr for boards lol.

But the question is are they going to keep doing this every couple of months?

So long as the media jump on it every time and gets FR more column inches then they'll keep spinning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Would absolutely hate for this to happen. But it won't so I can rest easy.

Besides, if future projections of the Euro v the Dollar are to be believed, most Europeans won't be able to afford to go to the US in five years anyway.

Would absolutely hate for this to happen. But it won't so I can rest easy.

Besides, if future projections of the Euro v the Dollar are to be believed, most Europeans won't be able to afford to go to the US in five years anyway.

Care to explain why you would hate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's a hard one to explain. I do like that it is so much cheaper and easier to get around Europe now because of airlines like Ryanair. But there's always been something a bit different about flying transatlantic, it feels more special somehow than short-haul hops to the UK and Spain and so on. I just think that if flying to New York became as cheap and easy as flying to Malaga the experience of transatlantic flying would lose something for me.

Like I said, it's hard to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,600 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

sully2010 wrote: »

Well at least not until you get off the plane and find out you have got DVT from having no leg room.Then you might change your mind but it might be too late then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Well at least not until you get off the plane and find out you have got DVT from having no leg room.Then you might change your mind but it might be too late then.

The reality is the legroom will be similar to what other airlines offer, the width of the seats on the other hand could be compromised if they do a 3-3-3 A330. DVT is not an issue if you do simple exercises or get up and walk around from time to time. Its been a while since I've heard a case of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,600 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

zone 1 wrote: »

If it ever does happen it won,t have Ryanair on it it will be named something else. Id say Ryanair are still raging that they never got to takeover Air-Lingus thankfully as they would have no doubt used Air-Lingus for this. Probably named it Air-Ryan or something like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AMKC wrote: »
    If it ever does happen it won,t have Ryanair on it it will be named something else.
    Wut? Ryanair is one of the most recognised brands in Europe. Of course they will leverage their extremely strong brand recognition if/when they do launch TATL services. They would be mad not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

doesn't a 738 have etops range to do this say DUB-EWR or BOS for sure. what's the difference if they can use the existing fleet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

trellheim wrote: »
    doesn't a 738 have etops range to do this say DUB-EWR or BOS for sure. what's the difference if they can use the existing fleet ?

The existing fleet would only be put forward for use if they re-configured the seating, it'd have to be brought down to about 130-135 configuration to make it work, that would be all economy class and with no option of cargo and in moderate weather.

Advertisement