Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning about lidl packaging

Options
  • 16-03-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased lamb chops in lidl and put them into the freezer for a few days. On Friday I took them out and put them in the microwave for a minute on low setting just to start them defrosting.

Within seconds there was a smell of burning plastic. The chops packaging had gone on fire as a result of there being a security tag (one of those very thin ones embedded into the wrapping) hidden under the paper label that is on top of the plastic cover.

The chops were destroyed by melted plastic, bits of metal strip and burned paper.

I contacted Lidl customer service and they replied, 'sorry can't help you, it does say remove packaging before cooking'. It is true, it does, (in the information on the back, in tiny type, and one would indeed remove packaging before cooking. However I regularly take a pack of meat, puncture the plastic and microwave it briefly to start the defrost process, and make it easier to get the meat out of the packet.

So be aware! There are hidden security tags in lidl packaging!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

While this wouldn't be something that I'd do myself, it's nice to have the additional information anyway. :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ourheritage

Next time remove the packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't like using clingfilm in contact with fats in the microwave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Do people really steal lamb chops?

I know lamb is expensive but there are cheaper alternatives such as pork chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

Is this in aldi ?? Because i'm sure there's no security tags on meat in lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

DamoNolan wrote: »
    Is this in aldi ?? Because i'm sure there's no security tags on meat in lidl.

There is although Im only familiar with it on steak. The alarm goes as you leave the shop - no one pays any attention at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You put plastic packaging in the microwave and it melted? And you're surprised? :o

No plastic (whether microwavable or not) should be used in a microwave. Have a read about endocrine disrupting chemicals and how they leech from plastics. Nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You put plastic packaging in the microwave and it melted? And you're surprised? :o

No plastic (whether microwavable or not) should be used in a microwave. Have a read about endocrine disrupting chemicals and how they leech from plastics. Nasty stuff.

Honestly, read my post. It is perfectly possible to put the vast majority of commercial packaging into the microwave for a short while on a low (30% in this case) without a problem. The plastic film was not touching the meat.

Just for the sake of all us eejits that have no idea how to use a microwave though, (like you know, housewives for 40 odd years cooking meals on a daily basis) I am pointing out that there are safety tags on LIDL meat - or at least lamb chops, which cannot be seen, they are completely hidden under the paper label. There is no indication that it is there.

Many many food products state 'pierce plastic film and microwave etc' in that case the food is in contact with the film and concern would be understandable (though not necessarily valid).

tl:dr - I am simply saying there are hidden security tags on Lidl meat, I am aware of all other implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

looksee wrote: »
    Honestly, read my post. It is perfectly possible to put the vast majority of commercial packaging into the microwave for a short while on a low (30% in this case) without a problem. The plastic film was not touching the meat.

Just for the sake of all us eejits that have no idea how to use a microwave though, (like you know, housewives for 40 odd years cooking meals on a daily basis) I am pointing out that there are safety tags on LIDL meat - or at least lamb chops, which cannot be seen, they are completely hidden under the paper label. There is no indication that it is there.

Many many food products state 'pierce plastic film and microwave etc' in that case the food is in contact with the film and concern would be understandable (though not necessarily valid).

tl:dr - I am simply saying there are hidden security tags on Lidl meat, I am aware of all other implications.

People are getting confused by your post as the heading in the thread says lidl but the last line of your op post says beware about meat packaging from aldi, just thought you should know why people are confused.

People are getting confused by your post as the heading in the thread says lidl but the last line of your op post says beware about meat packaging from aldi, just thought you should know why people are confused.

No, I think people are confused because she didn't take off the plastic wrapping before she put them into the microwave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You say both Lidl and Aldi in your post - is it one or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Common sense should tell you to remove the wrapping before de-frosting .

There are ready-meals that can be pinched with a fork before cooking , and that type of plastic don't melt .

In fairness to the OP, I know what she was doing was reasonable.
    She just wanted to quicken up the thawing of the lamb chops as presumably there was ice/hard frost covering them and the packaging.

It's not like she threw them in the microwave with the packaging for 40 minutes and expected lovely cooked chops ready to be eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I usually leave the sealed packet sitting in some hot water in the sink basin, they thaw surprisingly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Got caught the same way:mad:, there is'nt a security tag in the packet, its the label thats been changed. There is a foil backing on the new labels that doesnt like the microwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I leave frozen meat in the fridge the night before to allow it to defrost overnight or I cook completely from frozen. I'd never use a microwave on frozen meat as it heats completely unevenly (well mine does) and you end up with rubbery cooked bits next to frozen solid bits etc...

If I'm in a big hurry I'll defrost in warm water and keep changing the water.

I'd never put any packaging in the microwave unless the instructions explicitly said too (like microwave popcorn).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I recently purchased lamb chops in lidl and put them into the freezer for a few days. On Friday I took them out and put them in the microwave for a minute on low setting just to start them defrosting.

Within seconds there was a smell of burning plastic. The chops packaging had gone on fire as a result of there being a security tag (one of those very thin ones embedded into the wrapping) hidden under the paper label that is on top of the plastic cover.

The chops were destroyed by melted plastic, bits of metal strip and burned paper.

I contacted Lidl customer service and they replied, 'sorry can't help you, it does say remove packaging before cooking'. It is true, it does, (in the information on the back, in tiny type, and one would indeed remove packaging before cooking. However I regularly take a pack of meat, puncture the plastic and microwave it briefly to start the defrost process, and make it easier to get the meat out of the packet.

So be aware! There are hidden security tags in aldi packaging!

Which is it, ALDI or LIDL ??

Apologies, yes it is LIDL. I did not notice the typo.

mikehn wrote: »
    Got caught the same way:mad:, there is'nt a security tag in the packet, its the label thats been changed. There is a foil backing on the new labels that doesnt like the microwave.

In fact it is a security device, it was easy to see the metal 'wire' in the remains of the packaging.

In answer to other replies, while making sure the plastic is not touching the food, I have never come across any other kind of film that responds badly to a brief microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've seen the same feature in Aldi packaging. I think it was on their steaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think piercing the plastic has anything to do with it touching the food.

You pierce the microwavable meals to allow expanding gas to escape as it heats up. Piercing keeps the air from building up and eventually bursting. Isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Try to allow enough time to defrost food in a fridge - I usually allow 2 days.

It's safer and the food will taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

This has to be one of the dumbest things ever on here! You melted plastic in a microwave even though the label said "remove ALL packaging"? Some people have just no cop-on whatsoever. How do you get through the day without hurting yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@wirehairmax - personal attacks on posters are not tolerated here on Boards. Please consider how you post in future.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Meat is pricey, I saw a british tv programme about shop lifting, one of the small shops that had cameras fitted said they were going for high value items like cheese and meats.
    Most were apologetic when caught and the owners were given security advice about the layout and also said a large screen or screens showing all areas and putting up faces of people caught helped deter.

I saw an incident recently where a few people were ejected from a store and where hostile.
    Lidl (or aldi) dont keep that many staff on to watch all this, Ive noticed the security are either present or more active in certain stores. Ive noticed when they pay more attention, sometimes very obviously to certain people or even me, if I go in with a bunch of shopping bags, a baby bag or even just wearing a hat, sometimes I wear shades inside if I have a headache as flourescents can be painful (I noticed that in some tescos) but I try avoid it.
    I might go in with a swag bag and a stripey outfit sometime for the laugh, because if they think Im stealing stuff they need more training. Ive seen people lift stuff in a few aldis, literally jamming it down their dress/trousers (who'd want it after that :eek:) but its so furtative and obvious I dont know how it isnt noticed, maybe the tags are security or maybe its some other traceability for the meat??

That said, I wouldnt defrost anything with its plastic wrapping on, but I suppose its handy to know. I prefer defrost in the fridge or leave it in a plastic tub to defrost out of direct sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So be aware! There are hidden security tags in lidl packaging!

Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Next time just let your meat (still in the plastic) thaw out in a bowl of room temp water (not warm but not too cold either). They will thaw out pretty fast. Its much safer and tastes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Next time just let your meat (still in the plastic) thaw out in a bowl of room temp water (not warm but not too cold either). They will thaw out pretty fast. Its much safer and tastes better.

We live in the age of fast-food , so who on earth is going to have the time/patience to wait for something to de-frost at room temperature ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Not all packaging is microwaveable!

Advertisement