Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living without Broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Maybe they are trying to make him move out by
    A) not allowing broadband in the house
    B) not allowing op to pay for broadband so as op might save money to move out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

For some people, yes broadband is a luxury. Especially if they're the type who can barely use a computer and reluctantly check their email once a week. €40-€50 a month is a lot of money if you're not getting the value out of it. Maybe it makes more sense for them not to have broadband but to approach someone who does on the rare occasions that they'd need to buy something on-line.

There has to be a reason why they got rid of the broadband in the first place. The most obvious question is money. Are finances tight? Another thought that has come into my head is that they felt you were spending too much time on the computer. Realistically you're on a hiding to nothing unless you can swing something like that e-mobile suggestion. The downside of broadband is that you're usually tied into a contract and you're planning on moving out anyway.

I have 120mb Broadband & phone with UPC for €30 per month for 12 months. I dont know much I save being able to google prices for things, buying online, researching products for quality. I save hundreds of Euro each year by having internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

hfallada wrote: »
    I have 120mb Broadband & phone with UPC for €30 per month for 12 months. I dont know much I save being able to google prices for things, buying online, researching products for quality. I save hundreds of Euro each year by having internet.

I'm not arguing with you on that. I'd go insane if I didn't have broadband myself. I wrote the post looking at the issue through the eyes of someone who doesn't use the internet in the way we do .

I've a good friend who had a landline and broadband in her house. She has a laptop she checks her email on intermittently and that's about as far as she ever engages with the internet. Well, apart from booking the odd flight. Mostly the laptop stays in the bag. I called around to visit about two years ago and she announced delightedly that she'd gotten rid of the landline and was just going to use her mobile. She goes on every now and then about how much money she has saved since the phone went out of the house and how she has no regrets. If I had known she was planning to pull the plug I'd have helped her find a better deal because I hate those dongles. It's not something I would do in a million years but then I view the internet and broadband in a different way to how she does. What I am trying to say in this thread is that I can see the issue from the other side. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just that there is a logic to the OP's parent's thinking.

Anyway OP, I don't know what else you can do. The rules are the rules. Move out asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I'm not arguing with you on that. I'd go insane if I didn't have broadband myself. I wrote the post looking at the issue through the eyes of someone who doesn't use the internet in the way we do .

I know but OP is paying for it. I dont know why his parents care whether or not he has it. Like €30 per month is the price of 3 packets of cigarettes. I cant understand how some Irish see no issue spending a few hundred a month on cigarettes. But yet buying broadband or good quality clothes is a waste.

OP I would order the broadband and not tell them. Hid the modern and they wont notice its there. Even my 85 year old grandparents understand that internet is necessary and not a luxury

• Advertisement

Yes but what when the OP moves out? Will he continue to pay for the broadband for the duration of the contract? If he's trying to save up to move out, I'm assuming money's tight and his job's not too well paid. Having said that, the paperless billing/sneaking in the modem part might work ;) What I can't understand is (a) why his parents went ahead and cut it off even though he was paying for it and (b) why they won't allow it back in even if it's not going to cost them a cent. Something doesn't add up. Even with the Amish angle/

Advertisement