Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the one (negative) thing you'd love to change about yourself...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭goiko

The thing I would like to change the most is my bad temper as I hate throwing tantrums but at the same time I can't help it :(. Also, my tendency to over analyse things, my lack of patience and my lack of will power, in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Shyness. It's not really acceptable for a 33-year-old man to this shy. I struggled with social anxiety since my early teens, but over the last two years, I've made huge progress with that. I don't really get anxious any more (well, no more than 'normal'), but the shyness is something that I can't seem to shake off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jamesoneill

my laziness

i'm working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

My sensitivity to negative situations and confrontations. If I have a row with someone it will sit in my head all day, often as long as it takes until the dispute is resolved. I need to learn skills to handle confrontation better, and just let things go. even after all is forgiven and forgotten I still get flashbacks of what was said in various moments and it affects me all over again.

On a smaller scale I would also like to be more able to embrace change. my older brother's first child is due shortly , my initial reaction of the news was one of shock and uncertainty, not total happiness, like someone had died rather than a birth.
    Whilst I am happy for him and find myself excited at the prospect, I don't want this to change him for the worst, his life to be consumed by the exhaustion of childcare and balancing other things, it's a massive step and Im hoping it's not too much too soon, as he's settling down quite young . I'm nervous but excited about greeting this new person into our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I wish I was better at keeping in touch with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I find myself being too naive when it comes to believing obvious lies from people I'm close to, and often end up putting far too much effort into keeping a friendship with people that don't deserve it, when I should be putting more focus on the people that do deserve my time. I also feel sometimes I'm far too generous and trusting, I'm the type of person who(depending on cash, of course) would happily pick up the bill if I went out for food with a friend, whereas some of them would be looking for 2 euro back if I borrowed it from them, I don't think being generous is a flaw, but I do need to be more selective with how generous I am and to who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

RayM wrote: »
    Shyness. It's not really acceptable for a 33-year-old man to this shy. I struggled with social anxiety since my early teens, but over the last two years, I've made huge progress with that. I don't really get anxious any more (well, no more than 'normal'), but the shyness is something that I can't seem to shake off.

I've always found shyness endearing in a person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

im the type that has to be shocked into taking action - im usually the most proactive when under some sort of threat or pressure, though it shouldn't take that much to get me, or anyone, focused. say I was a smoker/drinker, I would have to have a doctor plonked in front of me with my lungs/liver in dire shape telling me to stop , before I actually do anything about it. its the only thing that truly works with me. I procrastinate until its dangerously close to getting me into sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Neurotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

diomed wrote: »
    There is a cure for that - alcohol.

I can think of a few better substances to cure that... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭HughWotMVIII

I am entirely too flaky, a highly unattractive trait I always think. I have a hard time committing to anything in this life and it's probably down to impatience coupled with perfectionist tendencies. When something doesn't seem like it's going to turn out exactly how I pictured it in my head, I abandon it altogether rather than "waste" time seeing it to the end.

I am also ruled by fear. Fear of not being good enough mostly. So I rarely engage with anything unless I have no other choice which means that I live my life on the fringes, always observing but never participating.

Those two things. I wish I could change them. I know I have the power to but I can't seem to harness it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Oh for me this is simple. My alcoholism.

I wish I was less of a scatter brain.

I always have way too many things going on in my head at the same time, I used to be very organised and everything was always perfect but now everything is always a bit all over the place. I forget what I'm doing sometimes halfway through doing it.

The problem is I like perfect. I like things to be just so. I suppose I could not do so many things but where's the fun in that?

My friend sent me this last week. Sums my above post up perfectly :pac:

Also another thing is I wish I didn't give myself such a hard time, I guess that links in with above. If I can't get everything done, and done well, then I give myself a hard time. I'd also like to see myself the way others seem to, physically that is.

Ah sure. I've little to complain about really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I find myself being too naive when it comes to believing obvious lies from people I'm close to, and often end up putting far too much effort into keeping a friendship with people that don't deserve it, when I should be putting more focus on the people that do deserve my time.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Not sure.

Impatience. On the otherhand this is an awareness we don't have much time.

Memory. I have a very good one. This makes it hard to let go of things though.

Rilke said "If my demons were to leave me I fear my angels might take flight as well."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I think I would like to have a bit more 'get up and go' about me....I am just way too lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I think I would like to have a bit more 'get up and go' about me....I am just way too lazy.

Yep. Inertia is a problem for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I tend to over analyse things. I think too much and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

My standoffishness.. not to go completely in the opposite direction, just to be less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wish I was more socially comfortable. I absolutely stuck at small talk, I really envy people who can blather away about feck all while I stand there looking like a silent idiot trying to think of something worthwhile to say.

I wish I found it easier to talk about myself too and tell people if I'm having a bad day or just give out about something lousy that's happened. Other people seem to find that much easier than me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'd change my voice.

I want the women of the world to cream their underwear whenever I speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I tend to over analyse things. I think too much and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

In other words " I know what I want and I want it now"

Too many for me to say but probably my distrust of other people is top of the list at the moment.

Advertisement