Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie at festival with children,ADVICE PLS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The last few times I was at EP there were wheelbarrows available to rent on-site for carrying your stuff to the tents.

Would definitely recommend bringing along a friend for the weekend. I'm sure you know someone who'd love to go but can't afford it this year, offer to pay for their ticket if they'll help you out with the kids during the day and you can wave them off to enjoy the rest of the evening at the kids' bedtime?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If there are no wheelbarrows to rent, instead of loading the car down with one, do you have an old buggy leftover from the kids?

I've been known to stack a boot-load full of luggage onto one, and it has the benefit of being more lightweight, collapsible when you need space and a spare chair in the tent when you need a seat. And if the younger one might get a bit tired when out and about, it could still come in handy for them to sit down in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Wow this sounds like quite the adventure.

I've never camped before although we have thought about it but then realized the amount of planning we would need to do and supplies we would need, etc.

Good tips about the wheelbarrow - perhaps a trolley would be more convenient? I think you can buy them in Ikea.

My sister camps and boy do I worry about her. She seems to come back so cold (she is a cold person though). I always advise her to drink plenty of hot whiskeys - but perhaps not applicable for your children ;-)
    My advice would be to bring a thermos of hot chocolate for the cold nights and dress with many layers - a hat is a must for sleeping at night.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Came on purely because I spotted collapsible trollies branded as Festival Trollies in Tesco the other day and thought of you OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

annie jay wrote: »
    I am not promoting the place, just a snippet off their website with regards their children's area and what they offer.

I'd overlook that only you have 3 threads currently running that are all dealing with the kids area at the body and soul festival.........

Parenting
    Hi all,
    I have just booked a family ticket to Body and soul in June; it’s just myself and 2 children who are 7 and 5. I am very excited about it as it is our first weekend long festival, and I would like to expose the children to a variety of music and some cool life experience that they will remember fondly.
    So to create these fond memories I need some Advice!!!

I have never been to a festival myself, never mind with children, forums I have read is to bring Baby wipes!! So they are on my list. What else should I bring?? And what should I expect? I know some people, parents and childless people alike have their reservations about bringing children to festivals, That children should not be bought to a festival, well I have to have a go before I decide to have that opinion, As far as I have researched the festival caters for children and families very well.
    So anyone that have bought children to a festival what was your experience??
    And camping gear? What would you recommend? I was hoping to get a fairly decent one, with room to more around in, what price range would it need to fall into? I am a total newbie and wet behind the ears with this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you ;-)

Outdoor Pursuits
    Hi all,
    I have just booked a family ticket to Body and soul in June; it’s just myself and 2 children who are 7 and 5. I am very excited about it as it is our first weekend long festival, and I would like to expose the children to a variety of music and some cool life experience that they will remember fondly.

I have never been to a festival myself, never mind with children, forums I have read is to bring Baby wipes!! So they are on my list. What else should I bring?? And what should I expect? I know some people, parents and childless people alike have their reservations about bringing children to festivals, That children should not be bought to a festival, well I have to have a go before I decide to have that opinion, As far as I have researched the festival caters for children and families very well.
    And camping gear? What would you recommend? I was hoping to get a fairly decent one, with room to more around in, what price range would it need to fall into? I am a total newbie and wet behind the ears with this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you ;-)

Gigs & Events
    Hi all,

Thank you ;-)

Personally I'd rather my kids listened to Daniel O'Donnell for life rather than bring them to a festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Way too much nervous nellie stuff going on in here.

I have taken my kids to festivals a few times. Next one will be a private one in the UK in July.

Practise camping - a lot - before you go. Don't stress over making sure you have absolutely everything - you can manage for a day or so without stuff.

You're going to miss all the late night stuff - no probs there. It'll make you more aware of the interesting stuff that goes on during the day. You'll see bands you've never heard of in a smaller crowd rather than seeing headliners while you're packed in like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

This is a good article on taking kids to festivals (and specifically Body and Soul):
    http://www.independent.ie/life/family/family-features/family-time-at-body-soul-music-festival-30347401.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

OP- just because you've bought camping tickets can you change your mind and just visit for the day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is a good article on taking kids to festivals (and specifically Body and Soul):
    http://www.independent.ie/life/family/family-features/family-time-at-body-soul-music-festival-30347401.html

Oh sweet jesus that sounds all a bit too hippyish for my liking!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

So OP..
    Just a couple of days to go, and the weather forecast looks good :)

Are you still planning on going?

Hope you weren't put off by the negative replies on this thread.

One last couple of bits of advice I'd give..

Practice putting your tent up in the garden so you've no nasty surprises in store when you get there.

Look out for the Sherpa guys, who will help you bring your stuff from the car park to the site.

And have a great time :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement