Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terence Flanagan interview on Drivetime

Options
  • 13-03-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭

My good lord,just finished, total car crash and train wreck.

Renua tanked before it has left the station

Complete disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Its sad ,it could happen to any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Its sad ,it could happen to any of us.

Agreed, fair play to Wilson for terminating the interview early.

Blows the party out of the water though,I mean who let the lad on the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Crap, was only half listening, just copped the abrupt, rather bizarre-sounding ending.

What did he say? Is it easily summarised?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Crap, was only half listening, just copped the abrupt, rather bizarre-sounding ending.

What did he say? Is it easily summarised?

Was totally out of his depth, you will be able to listen back.

Felt sorry for the poor guy, you could hear the rustling of papers in the background.

Jeez, you would think on day one they would only let either Hobbs or Lucinda deal with the media.

On par with the Marion Finucane Joe Jacob interview.

Really sorry for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

did anyone in Fine Gael even know hes left the party? Hes the TD for my area. Might explain then why **** all gets done then

• Advertisement

Hopefully the News bulletins won't broadcast any clips.

In fairness to the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭emo72

"What are you going to do for the hard pressed PAYE workers?"

Silence.........

Desperate rustling of papers.........

"OK, we'll come back to you some other time"

Poor chap is going to have an awful weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I just heard this interview on the way back from work... I dont know why people are commending Mary Wilson... He was having trouble with the first question, sounded like he was distracted by something... And then she doesnt even wait for his to finish his response before asking another question... At this point he was still having trouble... I thought he was having a stroke / seizure or some catastrophic event.... But she then proceeds to ask him a THIRD question...

She should have cut to a break after the second response and asked him off-air if he was okay to continue, but as we know at this stage she's far from the sharpest tool in the shed..

emo72 wrote: »
    "What are you going to do for the hard pressed PAYE workers?"

Silence.........

Desperate rustling of papers.........

"OK, we'll come back to you some other time"

Poor chap is going to have an awful weekend.

Mary Wilson deserves credit for not putting the boot in.

Lad must have had a bad day,as usually a politician can 'tread water' in these situations.

I just heard this interview on the way back from work... I dont know why people are commending Mary Wilson... He was having trouble with the first question, sounded like he was distracted by something... And then she doesnt even wait for his to finish his response before asking another question... At this point he was still having trouble... I thought he was having a stroke / seizure or some catastrophic event.... But she then proceeds to ask him a THIRD question...

She should have cut to a break after the second response and asked him off-air if he was okay to continue, but as we know at this stage she's far from the sharpest tool in the shed..

I don't agree with that assessment.

• Advertisement

My heart went out to him. Sounded like he just went blank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The guy put himself forward as a rep for a political party, he shouldn't be treated any differently than ever other politician. No other would be afforded a break to get their answers together.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The guy put himself forward as a rep for a political party, he shouldn't be treated any differently than ever other politician. No other would be afforded a break to get their answers together.

After the lack of response to the second question it was clear that something was clearly wrong, whether that be bad phone line / health reasons / somebody distracting him.... A professional broadcaster would have gone to a break and found out what the hell was going on before continuing...

ThisRegard wrote: »

That is so and you are correct, but whatever happened him, he was on the ropes and really no-one could kick the guy when he was down.

I'd say you haven't heard the interview, something went wrong, and Wilson acted professionally,in my opinion.

There were seconds of dead air after a question was asked.

Hope he recovers from this on a human aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Mary Wilson deserves credit for not putting the boot in.

Lad must have had a bad day,as usually a politician can 'tread water' in these situations.

No problem with putting the boot in. He's getting almost €2k plus per week and can't answer a question. Really sad.

Some people are capitalizing on it anyway..

6pMQcN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

One of the most bizarre interviews I've heard on radio. This guy is a professional politician. Surley been able to think and talk is the minimum qualifications we should expect. Barring a health reason there is no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll have a listen back. Only half listened but I thought he just got stuck for an answer and fell apart from there, rather than any health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

rte.ie /radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20743594%3A83%3A%3A

What a meltdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20743594%3A83%3A%3A

What a meltdown!

• Advertisement

Go again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

He probably expected to get a puff piece with congratulations etc. and just panicked when she asked a question about the pesky aspect that is political policy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Zero sympathy. His incompetance only mirrors the rest of their "launch."

The good boat Renua appears to be a rebranded Titanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭Field east

Was totally out of his depth, you will be able to listen back.

Felt sorry for the poor guy, you could hear the rustling of papers in the background.

Jeez, you would think on day one they would only let either Hobbs or Lucinda deal with the media.

On par with the Marion Finucane Joe Jacob interview.

Really sorry for the guy.

Only significantly worse than Deputy Jacob. At least he talked. If this is the best the new party can do on what is the lifeblood of any party - not to say a new party or any other new org. - and on the first step at that, then I would have absolutely no confidence in thrusting it to ever get anything right or off the ground. It's leader should come out , within the next 12 hours, to explain what actually happened? It will be her first opportunity re 'the new way' , 'open democracy', ' transparency', etc, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

In his first term in the Dial he was caught plagiarising speeches. When he came canvassing prior to the next election, I asked him why I should vote for him if that's what his major achievement was in his first term, his response was "sure anyone can make a mistake" !

Brush up your C.V. Terence, you'll be looking for a new job after the election.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

After the lack of response to the second question it was clear that something was clearly wrong, whether that be bad phone line / health reasons / somebody distracting him.... A professional broadcaster would have gone to a break and found out what the hell was going on before continuing...

It was just a very very bad interview for Flanagan. Nothing else. He completely blanked and is probably out of his depth (something which political observers already know about the man). Mary Wilson was actually quite sympathetic in ending the interview early.

An embarrassing start to Renua. He won't be allowed near a microphone again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

A 3 min 22 sec interview felt like a 10 min one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some people are capitalizing on it anyway..

6pMQcN.jpg

Higgins is a political opponent. What do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

He sounded a bit like he was having a slight anxiety attack or something. His voice was quivering a bit, even. Poor guy. Felt sorry for him. Could happen to anyone.

Advertisement