Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry Pratchett has died

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hope Death treated him to a curry :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

It has just been reported that the great author has died.

Terry transported me as a child and many other people to another world in his series of Discworld books.

A highly talented Author. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

**** no - I loved his books! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

First Tony now Terry.

It's like my teenage years have been obliterated in one afternoon :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ah no... While I wasn't a massive Tony Fenton fan, I was sad to hear of his passing, but Terry Pratchett too? I love Discworld books, I read 'Moving Picture' while on holiday and just loved it, so I went and read the whole series from the beginning, and in recent years have loved spotting a new one in Eason when it came out. Such sad news, an amazing writer and satirist with a cool imagination...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

My sympathies but can we not have a Notices Forum for this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

HELLO TERRY.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

And here I was hoping he'd eventually turn into Rincewind and become Death's hobby.

RIP, you were one of the few writers who actually forced me to put down their books from time to time to wipe away the tears of laughter.
    And brilliantly, behind all the funny, you were quite an insightful philosopher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

“Words are the litmus paper of the mind.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A true litteray Legend

Brought many a tear of joy over the 25+ years

RIP SIR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Oook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING," said Death. "JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Must confess to having never read any of his literary works, however I did see his documentary 'Choosing to Die' which was interesting viewing and he came across as a genuine and interesting fellow.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Such a unique mind with a singular ability to make every sentence of every novel he wrote filled with humour and meaning. That, or he was simply stone mad. Either way, he will be missed.

Terry : "Oh, I see. It's time is it?"
    Death : "YES. I'M AFRAID SO"
    Terry : "You're shorter than I wrote you"
    Death : "SHORTNESS IS JUST A PERCEPTION CAUSED BY THE ETHEREAL EFFECT OF THIS CROSSOVER PLANE. IN FACT I AM NEITHER SHORT NOR TALL. I AM JUST HERE. OR THERE. I GET MIXED UP SOMETIMES"
    Terry : "You talk a terrible load of drivel"
    Death : " WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? YOU WROTE ME"
    Terry : "Lead the way, my firend"
    Death : "CERTAINLY. BUT FIRST, FANCY A CURRY?"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Grew up reading his books and laughing out loud at a lot of the content.

R I P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A genius. And a funny one. Not many people can be both with panache.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I started reading his work at 8 or 9 and never stopped. He basically taught me how to read and write.

He was so wonderful.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Sad day :(

I remember the first of his books I read was Good Omens (with neil gaiman). that turned me into a fan...the humourous footnotes, the quick wit, and the satirical stories.

Small Gods is my favourite of his books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Only got around to reading his books a week or two ago, already have gone through twelve and in danger of maxing the credit card, great writing style, wish I'd discovered it sooner. RIP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Yeah, Small Gods is excellent - even mentioned it to mini-robindch the other night when she mentioned some kids book which had the same central idea. Which might not have been original with pTerry either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

My favourite author by far, sad day indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP Terry and thanks for all the laughs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

An old colleague of mine used to praise his stuff to the heights but Ive yet to indulge. What order should the Discworld series be read in? Or could I just jump to the acclaimed "Small Gods" for example?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Have read about three quarters of the discworld books, as well as Good Omens and had recently finished the first Long Earth book.

Absolutely one of my favourite authors.

The world is a little bit darker today.

Thanks for the laughs Terry.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Steve King wrote: »
    An old colleague of mine used to praise his stuff to the heights but Ive yet to indulge. What order should the Discworld series be read in? Or could I just jump to the acclaimed "Small Gods" for example?

you could. All of the books can be read on their own or in order (or not as I've done). There are a number of characters (DEATH for example) who appear regularily in books.

Small gods doesn't have so many of the recurring characters as other books.

Personally I don't think you lose much not reading the books in order...there may be a couple of jokes you don't fully get, but to me when you read those books you get one of those "ah that's what the other joke was all about" moments...and makes the reading all the more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Thank you Terry for the hours of reading pleasure you gave me and countless millions. You and your writing will be sadly missed

RIP

had recently finished the first Long Earth book.
    I read 2 of the Long Earth Books...but felt they never really had a proper ending and haven't bothered with the 3rd one.....yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

this makes me very sad :(

Advertisement