Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting closer to God - Post your favourite Christian Quotes & Poetry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭EirWatchr

"God is Dead! And we killed him!"
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

"The centurion, who was standing in front of him, had seen how he had died, and he said, 'In truth, this man was a son of God'"
    - Mark 15:39

"Nearly one-in-three people worldwide (31%) are expected to be Christian at mid-century"
    - Pew Research Center Report, The Future of World Religions

"But when the Son of Man comes, will be find any faith on earth?"
    - Luke 18:8

"Yes, the desire to stifle the voice of God is rather carefully planned. Many will do just about anything so his voice can not be heard, so that only the voice of man will be heard, a voice that has nothing to offer but the things of the world. And sometimes such an offering brings with it destruction of cosmic proportions. [..] Who is responsible for this? Man is responsible - man, ideologies, and philosophical systems. I would say that responsibility lies with the struggle against God, the systematic elimination of all that is Christian. This struggle has to a large degree dominated thought of life in the West for three centuries. Marxist collectivism is nothing more than a "cheap version" of this plan. Today, a similar plan is revealing itself in all its danger and, at the same time, in all its faultiness.
    God, on the other hand, is faithful to His Covenant. He has made it with humanity in Jesus Christ. He cannot now withdraw from it, having decided once and for all that the destiny of man is eternal life and the Kingdom of Heaven. Will man surrender to the love of God, will he recognize his tragic mistake? Will the Prince of Darkness surrender, he who is the "father of lies" (Jn 8:44)? [..] It is unlikely that he will surrender, but his arguments may weaken. Perhaps, little by little, humanity will become more sober, people will open their ears once more in order to hear the word by which God has said everything to humanity. And there will be nothing humiliating about this. Every person can learn from his own mistakes. So can humanity, allowing God to lead the way along the winding paths of history. God does not cease to be at work. His essential work will always remain the Cross and Resurrection of Christ. This is the ultimate word of truth and love. This is also the unending source of God's action [..] He is an action which passes through the heart of man and through the history of humanity."
    - John Paul II, Crossing the Threshold of Hope

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
    - Hebrews 10:24

"The Church of the first three centuries was a small Church and nevertheless was not a sectarian community. On the contrary, she was not partitioned off; rather, she saw herself as responsible for the poor, for the sick, for everyone. All those who sought a faith in one God, who sought a promise, found their place in her. [..] The Church can never be a closed and self-sufficient group. We will have to be missionaries, above all in the sense that we keep before the eyes of society those values that ought to form its conscience, values that are the basis of its political existence and of a truly human community. [..] For if law no longer has any common moral basis, then it is no longer valid as law. Seen in this way, the Church always has a responsibility for society as a whole. [..] It was to a very small community at a time, the disciples, that Jesus said that they had to be the yeast and the salt of the Earth. That assumes they are small. But it also assumes they have a responsibility for the whole."
    - Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, God and the World

"When I lay these questions before God I get no answer. But a rather special sort of 'No answer'. It is not the locked door. It is more like a silent, certainly not uncompassionate, gaze. As though He shook His head not in refusal but waiving the question. Like 'Peace, child; you don't understand'
    ..."

"Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
    - Matthew 18:3

"...
    Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable. How many hours are there in a mile? Is yellow square or round? Probably half the questions we ask - half our great theological and metaphysical problems - are like that. And now that I come to think of it, there's no practical problem before me at all. I know the two great commandments, and I'd better get on with them."

- C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

"If you understood him, it would not be God."
    - Saint Augustine, Sermon 117

"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? ....Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?... Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place….? Where is the way to the dwelling of light, and where is the place of darkness, that you may take it to its territory and that you may discern the paths to its home?...Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades, or loose the cords of Orion? ...Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be justified? Have you an arm like God?"
    - Job 38:2

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God will say, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'
    - C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce

• Advertisement

"When words are many, transgression is not lacking"
    - Proverbs 10:19

"He gave us reason and understanding.
    On us alone He bestowed the privilege of looking up to him.
    He formed us in his own image.
    He sent his only-begotten Son to us.
    He promised us a kingdom in heaven, and he will give it to those who have loved him.
    When you have attained this knowledge, can you imagine what kind of joy you will be filled with?
    Think how much you will love this One who has first loved you so much!
    If you love him, then you will imitate his kindness.
    Do not be surprised that a man can imitate God.
    He can, if he is willing.
    You see, happiness is not found by ruling over neighbours or by trying to hold onto a superiority over those that are weaker.
    It's not found by being rich, nor by intimidating inferiors.
    No one can become an imitator of God through these things.
    None of those things constitute his majesty.
    On the contrary, the imitator of God is the one who takes his neighbour's burden on himself.
    It's the one who, in whatever way he really is superior, is prepared to help anyone who might be deficient."
    - Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus

"The perfection of the intellect is called ability and talent; the perfection of our moral nature is virtue."

"Humility is one of the most difficult of virtues to attain and to ascertain."

"In a higher world it is otherwise, but here below to live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often."

- John Henry Cardinal Newman

"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them."
    ― CS Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

"The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either - but right through every human heart"
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

"Temptation is dangerous because it is difficult to uncover in the folds of our thoughts, words, works, and omissions. Discernment is necessary; that is, we must have a well-trained eye and the spiritual intelligence that helps us recognize the claw of the tempter and those who bring us straight to sin; we must reject them and instead accept the good inspirations that come from God. [..] let us be discerning in what we see and listen to, and above all let us choose good friends."
    ― Fr. Gabriele Amorth, An Exorcist explains the Demonic

"But I have called you friends, because everything I have learned from My Father I have made known to you."
    ― John 15:15

"I tell you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear the One who, after you have been killed, has power to throw you into hell."
    ― Luke 12:4

"The final criterion of our judgement will be the love that we have had toward God and toward our brothers and sisters [..] I believe that each of us will appear before Jesus, but it will not be the Lord who will review our lives and examine the good and the bad each of us has done. We ourselves shall do it, in truth and honesty. Each one will have before himself the complete vision of his life, and he will immediately see the real spiritual state of his soul and will go where his situation will bring him. It will be a solemn moment of self-truth, as definitive as the place he will be sent."
    ― Fr. Gabriele Amorth

"And the seventy-two returned with joy, saying: Lord, the devils also are subject to us in thy name. And he said to them: I saw Satan like lightening falling from heaven [..] But yet rejoice not in this, that spirits are subject unto you; but rejoice in this, that your names are written in heaven."
    - Luke 10:17-20

"I say it with reverence; there was in that shattering personality a thread that must be called shyness. There was something that He hid from all men when He went up a mountain to pray. There was something that He covered constantly by abrupt silence or impetuous isolation. There was some one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth; and I have sometimes fancied that it was His mirth."
    - G K Chesterton, Orthodoxy

"Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh."
    - Luke 6:21

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
    - Revelation 21:4

"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
    - Julian of Norwich

"The day in which people lose their horror for abortion will be the most terrible day for humanity. Abortion is not only a homicide but also a suicide. The suicide of the human race will be understood by those who will see the earth populated by the elderly and depopulated of children."

- Padre Pio

• Advertisement

"In economically developed countries, legislation contrary to life is very widespread, and it has already shaped moral attitudes and praxis, contributing to the spread of an anti-birth mentality; frequent attempts are made to export this mentality to other States as if it were a form of cultural progress. [..] If personal and social sensitivity towards the acceptance of new life is lost, then other forms of acceptance that are valuable for society wither away. The acceptance of life strengthens moral fibre and makes people capable of mutual help."
    - Benedict XVI

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very simply, "Be still and know that I am God." Too much busyness and not enough stillness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Very simply, "Be still and know that I am God." Too much busyness and not enough stillness...
    ...and to the storms in our lives, may we declare His words: "Peace, be still"

Advertisement