Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to quit smoking

• 10-03-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Give me ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Try the e-cigs..

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Was on 30 a day 5 years ago,
    Tried champax and took them exactly the way the directions told me to.
    I set my phone alarm to remind me to take them. Have not smoked since, of course a bit of will power needed. And weird dreams while taking the tablets but it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

I'm off them 2 days now, I know it's early days but this is my best attempt in nearly 10 years. I was smoking 20 per day. I went with the patches. I'm also setting myself targets....1 hour...then double it to 2...then 4 hours...so far so good its working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Was on 30 a day 5 years ago,
    Tried champax and took them exactly the way the directions told me to.
    I set my phone alarm to remind me to take them. Have not smoked since, of course a bit of will power needed. And weird dreams while taking the tablets but it worked

i heard they are good if taken properly but they have a lot of side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

I'm off them "properly" 2 days now, starting to find it a bit hard, even though i would never have been a seriously heavy smoker. maybe 10 max a day.

Is anyone finding it that you get a bit lightheaded now and again? and do they know what it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 eilmaher

Do Alan Carr seminar. Smoker 24 years 20 a day habit. I tried a few times 10 months, 4 months, 2 months. Initial time champax kicked me in but after 2 weeks threw away box just had sixth sense they are very strong neurological drugs that have been known to cause depression and psychosis... but broke habit.

Tried champex second time and 1 tablet, yes I did take alcohol that evening but, effect this time was scary dumped packet and well did not succeed giving up.

3rd time I did a pretty extreme sacred plant so by default not smoking etc. was a nice side affect just did not crave them until pyschological thought sitting in south of france in cafe feeling I was missing something to make the moment perfect.

It may of made moment perfect but, was back on them for another 2 years. Finally Alan Carr, with each defeat was feeling more disillusioned and just saw ad for 99 in grabone and thought sure what have I to lose. I had tried hypnosis which, did not work but Alan Carr was different it explained the psychology and I am sure there is a little NLP programming going on.

So Nov 1st went afraid and not expecting much, no effort by end of seminar stopped smoking. Although slipped back smoking as I got chest infection and flus all month of December. Went back Feb and again off them with no thinking or effort.

ALAN CARR wins hands down for me, Aviva you get a discount. Money well spent. I class myself as seriously addicted and love the freedom of not smoking again. I do not say I am out of the woods but, I do not smoke or think of them effortlessly. Moreover Alan Carr thought me how to break through psychology of weakness as once nicotine is out of system no brainer after that you only smoke out of habit.

Upshot you feel better, wake up earlier, more money in pocket and you have your life back.

Best of luck! Moreover as Nike says 'just do it' book the course and just attend the rest will happen you have back ups if you fall off the wagon during first 3 months. Either way, easiest, most affordable and safe way I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Goodness knows how many failed attempts (few months, few weeks, half a year) I had a stopping based on knowing it was the right thing to do but not really wanting to stop.

I got to a stage where I was so aerobically unfit it was killing me (probably literally) to walk up stairs, my mouth felt foul constantly and I was not enjoying smoking. I stopped soon after, off them almost 4 years now. Made a deal with my wife (then fiance) that we'd stop together. She stopped because of the deal we made, she'd love to smoke but is so frightened that if she had even one she'd be back on them full time. I stopped because in the end I felt they were really beginning to affect my health and enjoyment of food etc.

Find your motivation, you'll need it. You'll need to have something you can fall back on as a motivation when temptation comes.

Clear your diary, if this is as important to you as it should be (1 in 2 smokers die, unpleasantly) then clear your diary. I didn't go out to the pub or eat out for a month as I knew I'd be overwhelmed by the urge to smoke. I sat in, drank glasses of cold water, ate, whatever it took.

You probably will balloon in weight, however you'll be able to breathe properly again in time so you'll get more out of the gym. Be careful with the drinking because it can offset the benefits you might feel after giving up. I'd say combine the giving up with a general focus on getting healthy but only after the first month. The first month is all about quitting.

Do it tomorrow, if you set dates in the future you'll find reasons to postpone.

Get it done man, find your motivation, get your health back and significantly lower your odds of dying a hard unpleasant death.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Conorh123 wrote: »
    Give me ideas
    This gradual process worked for me -

pick a target date a few weeks in the future, a date that you will remember, not Lent or New Year

cut out first fag of the day for several days.

cut out second fag, again for a few days

carry on, one at a time, until you are not smoking before lunch

do likewise with after-lunch fags until you are not smoking before tea time

(at this point I had no need to bring the fags to work)

cut down on evening fags as you near the target date until you are having just the one before retiring.

get through target date without smoking and take it a day at a time from then.

I did this in late 2002 and I've not smoked since.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Your brain has been physically rewired to believe you need cigarettes in the same way you need food. The only way to fix this is by starving this until it goes away. It takes about six months for your brain to return to normal. Therefore you should consider yourself addicted for six months beyond your last cigarette. Even beyond that you can easily relapse.

I have not smoked since xmas eve. Non-obvious primary motivators for me included a sense of disgust that I was addicted, outraged arrogance at the notion that x, y, z people quit smoking and I was still a smoker, concern at the difficulty I had quitting and staying off cigarettes. I also thought of it as a change of state and tolerated all sorts of unwelcome physical and psychological effects as this played out. Also obvious motivations like effect on health, smell, financial cost etc. Most of this is probably specific to my own basic personality so might not be useful to most people.

Also I didn't tell anyone except my fiancée I was quitting until they noticed that I wasn't smoking. I think this helped also, though I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Personally, I just went cold turkey. It took me a few times of trying but got there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Cold turkey, followed by Alan Carr to knock it home. Read any of the Alan Carr books or just search on the internet, once you understand why you smoke it's far easier to stop. It's really much easier than you think it will be, pick a good time to get through the first few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Also I didn't tell anyone except my fiancée I was quitting until they noticed that I wasn't smoking. I think this helped also, though I don't know why.

This is why:

http://sivers.org/zipit

Advertisement