Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Craft Beer Festival - St.Patrick's Week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Beer specials for the Festival so far UPDATE

Independent Brewing:
    Pale ale casked hopped with Citra (cask)
    Festival IPA (Keg)

8 Degrees
    Enigma Pale ale, new OZ hop

Station Works Brewery

irish blond ale (cask)
    irish brown ale(cask)
    irish stout(cask)

White hag

Searbh Rua Imperial Sour Red,
    White Sow w/coffee rocket,
    IPA through a hop rocket...

Porterhouse
    chocolate stout

Trouble Brewing

A single cask of our Triple IPA, 11% ABV- Mandarina Bavaria, Amarillo, Equinox and Vic Secret hops
    Fresh Vietnow IPA, Dry-hopped with US Comet hops
    Fallen Idol, 6.3% American Dark Ale, hopped with Chinook, Citra and Vic Secret
    First in a series of 'SMaSH' beers, Pale Ale with Concerto malt and Centennial hops, 4.8%.
    Wandering Star, 5.3% blonde ale, brewed with Golden Promise malt, hopped with Summer and Huell Melon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Won some tickets from the Porterhouse. Which was nice. Looking forward to trying their Chocolate Truffle Stout, never had it the last time it was out.

Hi all

Here is a map l knocked up for the festival (Hall 1), as its not in the same location as September,

B_-CdoSWUAAhYze.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Was there last night, very nice beers around and in general the reps are very nice too and know their stuff.

The festival itself is a bit lacking, a bit too big to have any sort of atmosphere in it. Perhaps it will be a little bit busier today due to the rugby though I wouldn't fancy watching it on that screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Was there this afternoon and there was a good crowd there. Good selection of beers and all I tried went down very well.

I preferred this layout to the one last September with plenty of space for people to sit, eat, drink and talk with the big screen at the end of the hall and not the middle of it. Shame the rugby result went the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm heading over to this later, really looking forward to this since there are so many new brewers that I haven't had a chance to try out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Worth going to - prices a lot more reasonable than I expected. Near every stand would fill your glass, if you used the provided one, to the top rather than the fill line at that.

I did want to take the whiskey glass (looks like a Glencairn or a clone) but its actually fairly required to take the beer glass, as a lot of stands had few or no plastic glasses left.

Good times, the White Hag Coffee Stout was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

BMJD wrote: »
    Good times, the White Hag Coffee Stout was amazing!

I liked that too. And there was another coffee stout by Kinnegar? that was very nice. Did not seem like a trade show. A good event. Could have had more whiskey exhibitors...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Near every stand would fill your glass, if you used the provided one, to the top rather than the fill line at that.
    The fill line is a third-pint so unless the beer is over 7% they're supposed to fill it.

• Advertisement

Brockagh wrote: »
    I liked that too. And there was another coffee stout by Kinnegar? that was very nice. Did not seem like a trade show. A good event. Could have had more whiskey exhibitors...

Yes, Cup and Saucer, I wasn't mad about it tbh. It had a hard act to follow the White Hag one to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Brockagh wrote: »

It wasn't a trade show, it was for the punters. I really enjoyed it, was quiet enough yesterday afternoon. Music was good, not too loud, no problems getting beers, lots of seats. I reckon if it had been in last year's venue it would have felt full.

Favourites were Beoir #2, O'Brother's Bonita and the White Hag coffee randalled Milk Chocolate Stout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The highlight for me was Beoir #2 - a worthy successor to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Glad you all liked it. I served the last Beoir#2 last night and it could possibly be the last in the country unless some pubs still haven't tapped their kegs yet.

Now to decide on Beoir#3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Saruman wrote: »
    Glad you all liked it. I served the last Beoir#2 last night and it could possibly be the last in the country unless some pubs still haven't tapped their kegs yet.

Now to decide on Beoir#3

Baggot St Wines mentioned having about 50L left for growler fills yesterday. Was hoping to pick some up later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Ryath

Now to decide on Beoir#3

Twas very good, first and last beer of night for me and the only one I had twice. Really liked White Hags Coffee rocket. Wasn't mad about the Porterhouse Chocolate stout bit to sweet but I had drank a few IPA before it. Black Donkeys Buck It was another memorable one lot of flavour for 4.8%

Liked the bigger hall with the extra seating but the smaller hall did have a bit more atmosphere.

Ryath wrote: »

Liked the bigger hall with the extra seating but the smaller hall did have a bit more atmosphere.

I would say that's more down to the September festival being much bigger. More breweries and more punters. I believe it will be the larger hall in September so the best of both worlds I imagine.
    The best thing about the larger hall is the toilet facilities are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I would say that's more down to the September festival being much bigger. More breweries and more punters. I believe it will be the larger hall in September so the best of both worlds I imagine.
    The best thing about the larger hall is the toilet facilities are much better.
    I only noticed last year that there are toilets at the back of the hall. Much better than the scrum-fest toilets at the front door.

Yes but for whatever reason, they weren't always open and were sometimes blocked. The hallway looked unfinished or something so perhaps RDS staff didn't want people injuring themselves or something.

Big hall also has an ATM.

I couldn't actually find the ATM - the modem for it was on the wall with all the warnings about staff having no access but the ATM itself wasn't there.

Something I've only remembered now - Rye River seemed to have sixteen taps on their stand and I could only recognise one as not being one of theirs (Innis & Gunn head on it). Definite case of needing to get one thing right first...

• Advertisement

I couldn't actually find the ATM - the modem for it was on the wall with all the warnings about staff having no access but the ATM itself wasn't there.

Something I've only remembered now - Rye River seemed to have sixteen taps on their stand and I could only recognise one as not being one of theirs (Innis & Gunn head on it). Definite case of needing to get one thing right first...

The ATM was on the way to the toilets by the front door. It was in its own little room. People were using it all weekend. Unless it was taken away between Saturday and Tuesday.

Rye River had a bunch of stuff that wasn't theirs. Two Innis & Gunn as well as 4 Coisbo taps. That still leaves 10 of their own beers, an impressive number. Trouble actually had more with 12 taps, two of which were cask hand pumps.

Rye River had a bunch of stuff that wasn't theirs. Two Innis & Gunn as well as 4 Coisbo taps. That still leaves 10 of their own beers, an impressive number. Trouble actually had more with 12 taps, two of which were cask hand pumps.

Trouble aren't considered to make an overly large variety of mediocre product though (the opposite, in fact)...

Trouble aren't considered to make an overly large variety of mediocre product though (the opposite, in fact)...

Ah, I see where you are going with this ;)

I recall the days where 12 taps would constitute a beer festival. It wasn't that long ago either.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Did Rye River have the same specials they had at the Alltech festival? The Brown, Berliner Weisse and DIPA were excellent there.

Are there plans to bottle and sell them as a new brand I wonder?

lk67 wrote: »
    Did Rye River have the same specials they had at the Alltech festival? The Brown, Berliner Weisse and DIPA were excellent there.

None I believe yet, but a variation of the Brown is pouring in the 57th Headlines as "Old Grocers Brown"

lk67 wrote: »

They had the brown but not the DIPA* and I don't think they had the Berliner weisse.

*Shame as I missed it at Alltech.

oblivious wrote: »
    None I believe yet, but a variation of the Brown is pouring in the 57th Headlines as "Old Grocers Brown"

Thanks.

Another day trip to Dublin to be planned so!

They had the brown but not the DIPA* and I don't think they had the Berliner weisse.

*Shame as I missed it at Alltech.

Thought they were all excellent as I say and hoped someone might have heard news as to their plans...

Maybe they were just showing off!

Advertisement