Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3 "Retina, i5-4278U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD @ £879.00 Amazon Sold by

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

zarquon wrote: »
    Exactly, older model macbook, but the key point is that it is at a similiar price. A current season macbook will be way more expensive than the new XPS 13 which is the real point in the debate.

If I was to compare an older Dell with a newer MBP, would you consider that fair? As I say, equivilent year models don't back up your claims of serious gaps in speed or battery life. And the cost differential between equivilent year models isn't as dramatic as you claim: http://www.windowscentral.com/quick-comparison-dell-xps-13-versus-macbook-pro-retina-display

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

alastair wrote: »
    The Mac OS has had universal keyboard controlled cut and paste since 2011, and application level cut and paste since the 80's.
    You can't cut and paste a file in finder in 2015. Maybe you just haven't realised it. I find cutting and pasting files between folders to be a pretty basic function. Hard to see why they don't have it. The best excuse people seem to come up with is 'that's just how Apple do it'.
    You were able to buy a third party two button mouse for the Mac for years before Apple decided to start shipping their own multi-touch/multi-click take on things.

I'm just pointing out how slow they can be to take on basic ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Effects wrote: »
    You can't cut and paste a file in finder in 2015. Maybe you just haven't realised it. I find cutting and pasting files between folders to be a pretty basic function. Hard to see why they don't have it. The best excuse people seem to come up with is 'that's just how Apple do it'.

I'm just pointing out how slow they can be to take on basic ideas.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can cut and paste a file in the finder. It's basic for sure, and was always do-able in Mac OS, albeit differently to Windows, but since 2011 you've had the option of either mouse or keyboard command routes to achieve the same basic task.

http://www.guidingtech.com/11065/keyboard-shortcut-for-cut-paste-in-mac-os-x-lion/

With regards to multi-button mice: Apple certainly supported them, but never believed that multi-buttons were the best interaction solution, which is why they waited until there was a decent 'no button' alternative when it came to an Apple branded mouse. So that's not anything to do with 'slowness', but rather a decision to not utilise an approach they felt to be compromised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cut and paste has been in the Finder since 10.7. It’s called copy and move but works the same way. Better in my view as the user is less likely to delete a file by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

It could be the case that you're not technically adept. Cut and pasting files has existed since 10.7.

COMMAND + C to copy the file, COMMAND + OPTION + V to paste (move) the file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

alastair wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can cut and paste a file in the finder.
    http://www.guidingtech.com/11065/keyboard-shortcut-for-cut-paste-in-mac-os-x-lion/

You might have solved that for me alright. Nice one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well the others guys seem to be right but you certainly aren't. You are discussing copy and paste and saying it's cut and paste. Which isn't the case.

It’s exactly the same thing. But as I said, it’s not called cut and paste, it’s called copy and move. You copy and then press alt-V to move. It works the same as cut and paste and has been in the Finder since 10.7.

Read alastair’s link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Or... buy a same or better spec Windows for less than half the price. Just sayin'.
    Really wish people like yourself would give it a f*cking rest..

Why get a Macbook when a Windows laptop is better and cheaper?

Why get an iPhone when a Samsung is better and cheaper?

Why get an iPad when an Android is better and cheaper?

Some people prefer Apple products. Apple products are superior in some ways and inferior in others. It's down to personal preference so stop bitching trying to justify your Windows laptop purchase.

Have my Macbook Air a few months now and couldn't be happier with it. Would never consider going back to a Windows laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

I thought something important happened to make this thread five pages... but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Most people that complain about Macs have never used one for an extensive period!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ronan.h

It's possibly lost in 7 pages of to Apple or not - however that's not my worry

So I'm looking to but a MacBook - is this a good price? I'm buying one in the next few days and this could cut down a lot of price checking...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

ronan.h wrote: »
    It's possibly lost in 7 pages of to Apple or not - however that's not my worry

So I'm looking to but a MacBook - is this a good price? I'm buying one in the next few days and this could cut down a lot of price checking...

I would not buy at this price, I am typing this from my 13" MBP Retina, which I got from apple.ie, under their refurbished section for €1319, it was almost a year ago, and the specs are better than the one OP is linking.

Last time I checked they had the i5/256/8 for €1219 (Or something similar), which is what you are paying on Amazon for the 128gb version.

If you are worried about the 'refurbished' don't, they are new and have the 1 year warranty just like any other Macbook you buy from apple.ie, and you can always buy the extended warranty if you wish.

Keep an eye open, they don't always have loads of refurbished in stock, and they tend to go quick, I bought three times their refurbished products and they are all running perfectly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Most people that complain about Macs have never used one for an extensive period!

Most posts that begin with with most are total bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭conor2ka

has anyone seen any of these on sale recently or for similar prices

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭chompdown

Why dig up an old thread like this? Poor form!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement