Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Molyneaux

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

allroad wrote: »
    Another interesting point is the decline of Catholic Church influence amongst working class Catholics in the north was evident many years before the same phenomenon was apparent in the south. The Church were seen to back the establishment against the interests of the working class nationalists and experienced a significant backlash. I suppose when people were engaged in struggling with the British state apparatus, the local bishop or parish priest were relatively small fry by comparison.

I wouldn't doubt what you're saying here - I am aware that quite a few working class and middle class Northern Protestants have become disillusioned by their church leaderships also. A book called 'Evangelical Protestants in Northern Ireland' provides some interesting accounts from Northern Protestants of all kinds of opinions - worth a read IMO. http://books.google.ie/books/about/Not_of_this_World.html?id=WrUqAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

I am aware, incidentally, of numerous all-Ireland structures that have been going on for many years. The obvious one would perhaps be the IRFU, but there are others that are less obvious, though not necessarily secretive either, as such.

Incidentally, as the subject of the thread is Molyneaux, there's another book that is worth a read also.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭allroad

porsche959 wrote: »
    I wouldn't doubt what you're saying here - I am aware that quite a few working class and middle class Northern Protestants have become disillusioned by their church leaderships also. A book called 'Evangelical Protestants in Northern Ireland' provides some interesting accounts from Northern Protestants of all kinds of opinions - worth a read IMO. http://books.google.ie/books/about/Not_of_this_World.html?id=WrUqAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

I am aware, incidentally, of numerous all-Ireland structures that have been going on for many years. The obvious one would perhaps be the IRFU, but there are others that are less obvious, though not necessarily secretive either, as such.

Incidentally, as the subject of the thread is Molyneaux, there's another book that is worth a read also.

I'll take your advice on the book.
    It's an odd fact that the more middle class sports tend to be structured on an all Ireland basis -rugby, cricket, golf, hockey- whilst the mainly working class soccer is partitionist. Lets not forget that the Orange Order is also an all Ireland organisation:)

Advertisement