Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school teaching without qualifications in Education

Options
  • 08-03-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all

Just wondering if anybody can help me with this please.

I'm wondering if secondary schools allow non-teachers (for want of a better word) to come in and teach the students on a part time basis - say for 6 weeks at a time - or do you need to have a qualification in education? I have a masters degree if that makes a difference.

Thanks to advise

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not a hope unless you have a subject that is impossible to get. There is strict guidelines from Dept that money cannot be paid to teachers who are not registered with the TC (which you can't be unless you are qualified). Masters means nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Masters and degree in what subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

Thanks for that, TheDriver.

I should have been much clearer but I'm not looking for the Dept. to pay me. Payment would come directly from the student families themselves. Plus this is for something that is not taught presently in the schools, I've checked out the curriculum.

MSc in Software Engineering, Daisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

sounds more like a guest tutor for TY type of thing.....

• Advertisement

I was aiming more for both TY and 5th year students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

mumzboyz wrote: »
    I was aiming more for both TY and 5th year students.

If it's not a state exam subject and you are not qualified it's highly unlikely you'll get near the 5th years. TYs possibly but a lot of schools use qualified teachers for such courses where they have the interest/qualification e.g. I'll be teaching a module on musical theatre which is really the school show and I'm a qualified music teacher. Similarly you might have a maths teacher whose degree is in computer science teaching coding to TYs etc.

Could be worth an ask but I wouldnt go designing lesson plans etc before checking for demand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I would say the answer is yes, we currently have people coming in at regular intervals to take TYs and 5th yrs (not as often) for alternative subjects like you have mentioned....Computer programming, Nutrition, Judo, Chinese have all been offered this year so far in 6 week blocks for 90 mins a week.
    They are paid out of TY fund or by interested students themselves.
    You would need a current Garda Vetting certificate so apply for one if you havn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I know of schools who effectively support a "tutor " to run a business within the school. Ie he runs one to one and small group classes in the school sometimes during breaks or after school . sometimes students leave to attend his sessions. They pay privately . old fashioned set up !

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was speaking with the principal of our local secondary school today and she mentioned that I could do this after hours so hopefully there will be a good take up from the students.

Thanks again

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

Personally if my son's school was to offer a course like this I would not hesitate in paying for it myself. If I were you I would go around as many schools to see if there was any interest in it & take it from there. Also it could be an idea to look about starting summer camps etc. Sporty children are always accommodated for in that regard, this could offer an alternative. You could advertise in universities for volunteers to help you out for the experience. Best of luck!

Thanks whats_my_name. That is my plan and I plan to get into the primary schools as well. It's an area that I feel very strongly that kids should be exposed more to from a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

I think it's an area that is going to be huge, you just have to look at how big minecraft is getting & the likes of CoderDojo to see that kids are going mad for it! I'm in my final year of college & share some classes with computer science students so if you need me to ask about for tutors who may be interested if you plan on doing summer camps this year PM me & I can get in contact with the rep to pass word around!

Thanks but I have contacts within my local IoT, finished my degree there 2 years ago. Best of luck with your studies :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

TheDriver wrote: »
    Not a hope unless you have a subject that is impossible to get. There is strict guidelines from Dept that money cannot be paid to teachers who are not registered with the TC (which you can't be unless you are qualified). Masters means nothing

If the proposals for JC go ahead, there will be short courses like Japanese, Pet Care and stuff, and no doubt they'll have to look outside the pool of qualified teachers to find people to teach them.

With all due respect to the OP, a dangerous road.

Thanks for that, TheDriver.

I should have been much clearer but I'm not looking for the Dept. to pay me. Payment would come directly from the student families themselves. Plus this is for something that is not taught presently in the schools, I've checked out the curriculum.

If you were being paid privately, it would probably have to be done outside school hours. Then it would be between you and the parents; the school would just be facilitating you with premises.

Thanks whats_my_name. That is my plan and I plan to get into the primary schools as well. It's an area that I feel very strongly that kids should be exposed more to from a young age.

Someone said earlier, and it's an important point - you will need to be Garda Vetted. The crazy thing is that you can't be Garda vetted in general, you have to have a separate vetting for each place you work. It can take weeks, if not months, so you'd need to plan well in advance where you could run these classes and apply in plenty time.

"With all due respect to the OP, a dangerous road."

I am curious as to why this is a dangerous road, Katydid?

I am aware that I need to be vetted for each school which I teach in, so that's not an issue.

Thanks

"With all due respect to the OP, a dangerous road."

I am curious as to why this is a dangerous road, Katydid?

I am aware that I need to be vetted for each school which I teach in, so that's not an issue.

Thanks

I just mean it's a dangerous road to start letting people in to teach in our schools who are not qualified. It undermines the professionalism of the qualified teaching staff, and not good for the students in the long run.

I understand that there are times where it simply isn't possible to find a qualified teacher for a short course, but it is has to be an exception.

Nothing personal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

katydid wrote: »
    Someone said earlier, and it's an important point - you will need to be Garda Vetted. The crazy thing is that you can't be Garda vetted in general, you have to have a separate vetting for each place you work.
    I don't think the above is true. You apply for garda vetting via the Teaching Council. If you subbed in five schools, five days of the week, the same garda vetting stands.

• Advertisement

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I don't think the above is true. You apply for garda vetting via the Teaching Council. If you subbed in five schools, five days of the week, the same garda vetting stands.

You may be right. All I know is that I have to have separate Garda vetting as a teacher, as a youth club leader and as a church volunteer.

Is there a different requirement for schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

I just mean it's a dangerous road to start letting people in to teach in our schools who are not qualified. It undermines the professionalism of the qualified teaching staff, and not good for the students in the long run.

I understand that there are times where it simply isn't possible to find a qualified teacher for a short course, but it is has to be an exception.

agree 1000% Katy
    honestly is there any other profession looked on as ours is........would people expect to be let have a go at being a doctor for 6 weeks without qualifications?
    Even of its "just " for a 6 week TY course ......that's a lot of teaching hours some poor NQT would be happy with !
    The worst thing about this is the OP is clearly very genuine but it reflects the view of a lot of people that anyone can do our soft job. sure why bother getting the qualifications at all didn't we all go to school at some stage ........not meant as an attack on the OP in any way but it really annoys me

Programming is an area which is not sufficiently taught in most schools. I'm qualified in this field and have a first class honours masters degree in software engineering. I may not have a teaching degree but I am qualified in my field. Most teaching staff have not been trained in this area.

I'm not having a dig at you, teachers or anybody else but I'm very passionate about the fact that kids and teenagers need to have exposure to proper coding / programming. When I was in first year for my undergraduate, it was unreal the amount of students who dropped out during / after first year because they were out of their depth when it came to programming and that was only doing very basic structures. If nothing else, it improves a childs' logic!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What about trainers who have years of industry experience and qualifications, qualifications as trainers in teaching adults etc?

I work as one and have students (adults) coming through modular credit based systems to gain qualifications, and wonder at the skills difference that you perceive might be there? The courses I teach have strict syllabi, trainers are assessed yearly, and are immediately suspended if found wanting

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

I don't see how this would be viable within school hours if you're not using qualified teachers, particularly at post primary level - there are many teachers who have ICT qualifications and/or backgrounds who would happily teach short programmes. Also, the education centres are providing courses to teachers at the moment. You may be underestimating the skills of teachers in situ, or newly qualified teachers who are available!

Consider the number of students who have passed through online teacher training in the last few years - I know we're talking more basic skills, but from what I've seen there's great enthusiasm to incorporate ICT into teaching and learning - many just haven't been given the opportunity yet!!

Programming is an area which is not sufficiently taught in most schools. I'm qualified in this field and have a first class honours masters degree in software engineering. I may not have a teaching degree but I am qualified in my field. Most teaching staff have not been trained in this area.

I'm not having a dig at you, teachers or anybody else but I'm very passionate about the fact that kids and teenagers need to have exposure to proper coding / programming. When I was in first year for my undergraduate, it was unreal the amount of students who dropped out during / after first year because they were out of their depth when it came to programming and that was only doing very basic structures. If nothing else, it improves a childs' logic!
    No, I understand what you're saying, and it would be great if it were introduced into the mainstream curriculum.

All I'm saying is that teachers must be careful about having too many unqualified people coming in teach in schools, because it undermines their qualifications and professionalism. Teachers have to train to be teachers for a reason... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I wonder at any parents who pay for this when CoderDojo is free - find one near you here. The mentors are mostly folk with good experience in the industry, although without teaching qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

but you have not been trained in teaching methodologies.......programming is likely to be a short course on the new JC. So if you are passionate enough about and willing to slog away on very low hours for low pay for a few years then apply to do the H Dip......the NQTs may not be as qualified in programming as you but they are not looking to be computer programmers. They are looking to be teachers. So they have teaching qualifications. Seriously if you are genuinely that passionate about it there will be an opportunity when the new JC is introduced but you must get qualified.Maybe you will find that trying to teach 30 TYs in a poorly equipped school is not for you after all......just because you are interested init does not mean they will be and you will need the methodologies and training to help you.....we did not do the HDip for the mountain of craic it was (not) ;)

No, I understand what you're saying, and it would be great if it were introduced into the mainstream curriculum.

All I'm saying is that teachers must be careful about having too many unqualified people coming in teach in schools, because it undermines their qualifications and professionalism. Teachers have to train to be teachers for a reason... :pac:

I understand where you are coming from but I have been speaking with a number of schools today who are very interested in this and have been looking to introduce something like this for a while. Many schools teach Scratch, which is great but it's not programming by any means. There is so much more which children can be introduced to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

poster2525 wrote: »
    there are many teachers who have ICT qualifications and/or backgrounds who would happily teach short programmes. Also, the education centres are providing courses to teachers at the moment. You may be underestimating the skills of teachers in situ, or newly qualified teachers who are available!!!

I would tend to agree with this.
    OP, I can't see there being a huge demand for such a course.
    TY budgets have been cut and if coordinators are deciding between courses/speakers/modules, I can't see them paying for something like this when there are teachers with ICT qualifications on the staff.
    Most TYs also have ICT classes on their timetable.

Advertisement