Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the causes of homosexuality such a major issue in the gay marriage debate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

This is something I posted in the other thread but didn't get an answer to, and it might sound like a stupid question, but I think it could clear up some confusion.

Is there more to being Gay than just physical attraction to people of the same sex as yourself?

From one viewpoint, being Gay is just that, so what's all the fuss? Why do people bother coming out publicly to pronounce that they are Gay, it's like me pronouncing to my friends that I'm into xyz sex practices. They won't want to know. Why would they care?

The other viewpoint is that being Gay is a culture, a way of being, a community. Being Gay means you are different to non-gay people, not just because of sexual preference.

Not trying to be a smartass (for once), I ask this because I don't know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

deBop wrote: »
    Heterosexuals shouldn't have privileges in society either, most psychopaths and murderers identify as straight like Hitler, Stalin, etc. Lock them all up I say!

That's mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That's mature.

The irony of this post after the psychopathy remark is simply beautiful. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I think it's to do with the fact that society has gone way past the world view of many against gay marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I don't think anyone is justifying their sexuality in this debate. However there is probably a realisation that there are a lot of good people out there who are on the fence as regards gay marriage, older people, people in rural areas who've never met a openly gay person, who possibly need to have things explained and spelled out for them and who need to hear gay people expressing the same desire for a life partner that heterosexual people feel. Older people and people of more conservative and traditional backgrounds are also the demographic most likely to turn out in force at every election. The battle for hearts and minds needs to be won among those people if the referendum is to pass.
    I think its positive that this referendum has been taken as an opportunity to educate people and I think fair play to those who've stood up to be counted by sharing their private lives. It's definitely more effective than the "it's none of your business" approach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

What is it with all these threads banging on and on about LGBT folks... SERIOUSLY!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Links234 wrote: »
    What is it with all these threads banging on and on about LGBT folks... SERIOUSLY!

Can down lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I don't think anyone is justifying their sexuality in this debate. However there is probably a realisation that there are a lot of good people out there who are on the fence as regards gay marriage, older people, people in rural areas who've never met a openly gay person, who possibly need to have things explained and spelled out for them and who need to hear gay people expressing the same desire for a life partner that heterosexual people feel. Older people and people of more conservative and traditional backgrounds are also the demographic most likely to turn out in force at every election. The battle for hearts and minds needs to be won among those people if the referendum is to pass.
    I think its positive that this referendum has been taken as an opportunity to educate people and I think fair play to those who've stood up to be counted by sharing their private lives. It's definitely more effective than the "it's none of your business" approach

But life partnership is already recognised, that is not the issue despite multiple attempts to make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Links234 wrote: »

If you can't hack it now, I suggest you might want to make yourself scarce on Irish websites when May rolls around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's mature.

I know right. Someone earlier on immaturely compared gay men to psychopaths

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Is there more to being Gay than just physical attraction to people of the same sex as yourself?
    I don't think so.

From one viewpoint, being Gay is just that, so what's all the fuss? Why do people bother coming out publicly to pronounce that they are Gay, it's like me pronouncing to my friends that I'm into xyz sex practices. They won't want to know. Why would they care?
    Because people do care. Not everybody, certainly, but enough to make it an issue.

It would be great to imagine they don't, but they do. It would be great to live in a place/time where it isn't newsworthy, but we don't right now.

It's pointless to pretend otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Because whenever people can't counter the main points of an argument, they look to discredit the opposing side anyway anyhow and I guess the "cause" of homosexuality appears to be the last bastion of hope of for a possibility of doing that in this particular debate for the wrongheaded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

Now that the gay marriage debate is really beginning to ramp up, I've noticed that all over Twitter, Facebook, Boards, Pie, radio and television there are a huge number of debates emerging over the causes of homosexuality. Indeed, "born with it" has long been a mantra of the gay lobby as a way of "justifying" their lifestyle.

Does anyone else have an issue with this? I won't claim to have any scientific insight whatsoever into this subject but I've always been troubled by its prominence in any debate about gay rights or tolerance.
    Should the message to rally around not be that homosexuality affects nobody other than willingly consenting parties and that therefore, all other arguments are irrelevant? Let's imagine for a second that science one day does prove that it's brought on by choice or by societal influence when somebody is growing up, or whatever. Currently, this would invalidate a huge amount of pro tolerance propaganda and activism, which is based around the idea that it's an inherent trait. But isn't that missing the point entirely? I would have thought that the causes of it were entirely irrelevant, with the only relevant factor being that something cannot be considered "wrong" unless someone is directly and negatively impacted by it against their will. Which is a category that no consensual sexual lifestyle or choice can ever fall under.

I guess I just find it a little odd to see people "justifying" homosexuality on one ground or another, when I would have thought the wider argument would be "what I do is nobody's feckin' business so I dont have to justify myself to anyone".

Thoughts?

Homosexuality is caused by defective Epi genetics and obviously the fascist moderators here at boards want to stop people from knowing that.

It's pathetic.

They just can't handle the truth so they shut the conversation down.

Now that we know it's a biological defect one day there will be a cure for it and then.... no more gays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

NZT73 wrote: »
    Homosexuality is caused by defective Epi genetics and obviously the fascist moderators here at boards want to stop people from knowing that.

It's pathetic.

Now that we know it's a biological defect one day there will be a cure for it and then.... no more gays.

Do people really think the mods have some sort of new world order thing going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's pathetic.

Mod:
    if you want to raise attention to a moderation bias, feel free to do so in Feedback or by PMing a mod, Cmod or admin.
    Furthermore, be more civil with your posting style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

It's pathetic.

Any cure for stoopid in the pipe line?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

It's pathetic.

I think it's more the anti gay thing that Boards has a problem with. Your comment is still there though, nobody removed it. Will take on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Any cure for stoopid in the pipe line?:rolleyes:

stop with the personal abuse

Advertisement