Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was Religion in school for you?

Options
  • 07-03-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my mid twenties now so I was in school from the late 90's and into the 2000's.
    I went to a CBS primaryschool it happened about once a week. All we did was light a candle and the teacher would read something out of the Alive-O book and we did a bit of colouring in. The odd time the priest would call into the class and he would just ask us had we any questions. He didn't take things to seriously.
    In secondary school we had two religion classes a week and we studied a bit about other religions in first year. After that we didn't do that much religion. The teacher mainly left us do our homework or gave us SHE magazines to read. We saw the priest the odd time he was an all right guy. He used do confessions of people wanted or you could just go for a chat to him. We also had am anti homopobia week in school and he supported it.
    I thought religion was a okay break from the academic subjects. I learned a bit about right from wrong and about different religions.
    So, how was it for you?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Great. I was exempt because I wasn't Catholic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The odd time the priest would call into the class and he would just ask us had we any questions. He didn't take things to seriously...We saw the priest the odd time he was an all right guy. He used do confessions of people wanted or you could just go for a chat to him.

THIS is why society is falling apart !!!!:mad::mad::mad:

God be with the days when priests instilled fear in their underlings! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

catallus wrote: »
    THIS is why society is falling apart !!!!:mad::mad::mad:

God be with the days when priests instilled fear in their underlings! :(

I have a gun. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Religion in secondary school was the doss class of the week. I remember it being the last class before lunch for a couple of years and it was like an extended lunch break. We had the most easy going teacher in the school for it and we basically chatted about social issues for teenagers like bullying, contraception, exam pressure and 3rd level. I actually do not remember doing anything in it about actual religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Every day we had religion classes and I would stand up and say to the religious teacher that I wasn't going to take part in forced brainwashing, and as such she dragged me out of the class and I was left peacefully alone in the hall where I would have a cigarette.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Oddly all we ever did during religion class was talk about the environment and litter pollution :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In Secondary school it was very interesting, we studied all the major faiths and were also allowed to express ourselves on a wide range of social topics. Our school didn't offer it as a JC or LC subject so I found it a nice stress reliever, especially in Senior cycle, a pressure free environment of learning and debate amongst classmates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Zacchaeus was a greedy man!

Songs on tape in Primary school is all I can remember. We had a doss the Secondary school but the last two years we had a priest who used to tell us about his stories from the seminary. Told us one day that one of the older lads tried to summon Satan but was interrupted because he caught our priest praying! We called him Father Ted, he loved it.

In all, pressure free and nothing forced on us. We were free to debate if we wished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Every day we had religion classes and I would stand up and say to the religious teacher that I wasn't going to take part in forced brainwashing, and as such she dragged me out of the class and I was left peacefully alone in the hall where I would have a cigarette.

Were you wearing a leather jacket and slicking back your hair with a flick comb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

A lot of the religious people (Catholic priests, nuns, Protestant ministers, lay Christians) I came across in education in Ireland in the 1970s and 1980s were very decent, compassionate, open-minded people who genuinely loved engaging in discussions with atheist kids like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I was taught for one year of religion by a comPlenty over the top religious zealot....too such an extent a priest came in one day she expected us to kneel down on a dirty floor and kiss his ring....this was 2004 ish!!!!
    and was send to the principal for refusing to do this and quiet rightly in my opinion telling her to fcuk off and he more or less agreed she was a complete nutcase and told me I'd not have to bother with her class again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

So, how was it for you?

I was educated also by the "Brothers". This was in the 70's for the most part. They taught a lot of things in Religion class that we might nowadays consider to be improper. Among their teachings were:
    • The Jews are evil, because they killed Christ. They will always be evil because it is in their nature to be greedy. A brother gave us a long talk about this in primary school.
    • Women get pregnant because the sacrament of marriage allows their bodies to have babies
    • You can only marry somebody from another religion if you sign a promise to raise your children as Catholic
    • There are no other 'good' religions - anyone with another belief is doomed to spend eternity in hell.
    • You may never touch yourself for pleasure
    • Masturbation is ALWAYS wrong, even if the alternative is to damage your mental health (yes - those exact words!)
    • Everyone is part straight, and part gay. Being Christian means that you only act on your straight desires; anything else is a sin.
    • Everyone believes in God because "they believe this is 1975" - so they must accept that Christ was born in year 1. A particularly strange RE teacher spent the hour listing the proofs that God exists, and that was one of them.
    • Thinking anything impure is a sin, even if you do not act on it
    • The English should be shunned at every opportunity
    • Babies that die before baptism cannot enter heaven
    • There is no heaven for animals
    • God made women to serve men

Not all of the religious teaches I had in those years were nuts, in fairness, but mostly they were either zealots or disinterested. I lost interest in religion by the time I reached college, being tolerant of it but not really engaging. Now, in truth, I mostly laugh at how bizarre the human condition is that it so often seeks to find ways of trying to convince itself of a higher power, especially one that is interested in us.

Were you wearing a leather jacket and slicking back your hair with a flick comb?

Far out, were you in my class ? thats exactly what I was doing. It's a small world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was taught for one year of religion by a com

A Communist? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I have a gun. :mad:

It'll take more than guns at this stage, Father! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Mostly fine, a few stories that I cant even remember. Then there was the odd teacher who was completely insane. Stuff like yelling at students for not believing creationism or getting every student to say abortion is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I had most of my religion education in England. I actually really enjoyed it and still do enjoy learning about other religions traditions etc. It made me very aware of the fundamental differences between religions, and therefore I am understanding of peoples outlooks.

Over here i barely got any religious education and it was all catholic. It wasn't actually a class teaching us anything about the world and I felt very let down by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Stand back everyone, we got a rebel here!!!!!

We watched movies, that was about it. Although my relations tell me its very different nowadays, they have been to a mosque and synagogue, study all the majors faiths and do some philosophy. Seems alright to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mostly fear based back in primary school.
    Secondary school progressed to indoctrination.

looking back most of the Brothers and religious teachers were disturbed characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A Communist? :mad:

Worse..much worse :(

(See edited post)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Our religious teacher was batshit crazy. She was a nun - but one of the evil ones. I don't remember a single one of her lessons, but I do remember her shouting at us at random - such as for having a ruler on our desk when there was no such ruler present. As green little first yearers, we were terrified of her. Always waiting until she finally snapped and gave one of us a belt.

I wish her well now, but by Jaysus she was a wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

For me it was basically a civic class.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Our religious teacher was batshit crazy. She was a nun - but one of the evil ones. I don't remember a single one of her lessons, but I do remember her shouting at us at random - such as for having a ruler on our desk when there was no such ruler present. As green little first yearers, we were terrified of her. Always waiting until she finally snapped and gave one of us a belt.

I wish her well now, but by Jaysus she was a wagon.

The nuns were the craziest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We had two classes a week, one was used as an extra English class which was handy for the LC. The other had to be "proper" religion so there was a VHS stuck on that was ridiculed by the class for 45 mins. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Twas a doss because I got in a fight first day of first year and the teacher hated me for it. So I just sat quietly in the corner reading and what not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Primary school - had to learn off about 15 prayers in 1st class, including long ones like both creeds and the angelus. We spent about 20 minutes every morning saying them until I was in 4th class. Also had a half hour class four days a week before lunch. The priest would come in once a month for confessions which were not optional.

Secondary school - three x forty minute classes a week - as much time spent on religion as on history, geography. I have had three different teachers in three years. The first one hadn't a clue and just made us write out passages of the book, so like any class of first years we did nothing. Second one took it very seriously. He gave out punishments for questioning Christianity and barely skimmed through the chapters on other religions in about a week, and they are about 1/3 of the course. My current one is very laid back we just talk mostly about current issues and the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I had a complete nutcase of a religion teacher for 5th and 6th year, she once suspended me for dropping a bible on the floor! She used to do this creepy thing with her face where she'd go from looking like she was about to stab you to wearing the most forced smile I have ever seen in my life.

She used to pick on one of the lads whose mam brought him up atheist so he was exempt from the class, which annoyed this psycho bitch! She also wouldn't listen to simple and plain logic, 100% convinced that everything is an act of God.

She also told me when I grew up I'd realise that she was right and I was wrong and that I was a foolish child but years later and I still maintain she was a fúcking nutcase and I was an alright lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It was seen as a doss class in my school as well, despite the fact that the school was a Christian brothers. It was actually quite a laid back school in many way, apart from the odd mass there wasn't much religion really.

There was a lot of religion in the primary school I went to, learning prayers, saying prayers singing hymns in a group in front of statues, visits from priest, forming groups to sing at mass, do prayers of the faithful, catholicism only, we never learned anything about other faiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Zacchaeus was a greedy little man.

• Advertisement

The joys of having to go to school in belcamp college, and this college had its own church inside. They would take you inside to pray to gremlins in the sky. Funny times.

Advertisement