Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should the permitted wind noise levels be from a wind farm

Options
  • 05-03-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

The Government are about to announce the new Wind Farm Guidelines in which they will specify what the acceptable wind noise limits are

What do you think they should be?

WHO = World Health Organisation
    WEDG06 = Irish Wind Energy Design Guidelines 2006

341029.png

What should the limits be 7 votes

Background + 5db(A) (ETSU-R-967)
    0%
    45dB(A) laeq (current WEDG06 night time)
    14%
    vinnie13 1 vote
    42 dB(A) Laeq (proposed limits)
    28%
    cros13my3cents 2 votes
    40 dB(A) Laeq (LOAEL)
    0%
    35 dB(A) Laeq (Australian limit)
    28%
    QuantumPjohny33 2 votes
    30 dB(A) Laeq (WHO target night time limit)
    28%
    fclausonPCX 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just so pollsters are aware, a 1km distance would leave 9.4% of the country open to wind turbines, according to IWEA. I don't know if that includes any other limitations like potential exclusions from Natura 2000 sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

The following might also help you

http://airo.maynoothuniversity.ie/external-content/nirsa-wind-strategy-mapping

and the maps at the back of this document are what Macha is referring too

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2013/environment/12813.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Macha wrote: »
    Just so pollsters are aware, a 1km distance would leave 9.4% of the country open to wind turbines, according to IWEA. I don't know if that includes any other limitations like potential exclusions from Natura 2000 sites.

Its time for wind energy to get with the programme in my view and see about reducing the amount of land required for wind energy.

;)

If the WHO set a limit - I would have a higher regard for that then what a wind developer says is wanted.

Don't forget - we have CONSIDERABLY more land mass in WATER - so how do we develop our offshore resources going forward - offshore turbines for example.

The other option- which wind energy won't like - is to design future turbine tech so it meets WHO limits in a manner that's guaranteed

Im going for WHO target limit - simply because I TRUST the WHO more then an industry that refuses to work to best possible standards

Edit - apologies - im assuming whats being claimed is that 9.4 percent ISN'T enough - ive made above comments on that basis

But moving on - the big questions here is how do we actually plan peoples LIVING going forward.

The big driver of concern I think for many people in terms of wind turbine concerns are the following.

1) Concerns about impact on living and sleeping in the home

2) Concerns about impact on industry in the local area - this might be tourism or horse industry or other such issues.

Id put forward the theory that if WHO has noise recommendations LOWER then what wind energy guidelines propose - it will be VERY difficulty to get people beiieving that the Irish noise level limits are sufficient

Big issue here is that we are planning wind energy in isolation from whats going on round it.

I accept theres a need to move away from the one off house - but we need to start seeing a plan for that - not just abandon people because abandoning is the "cheap option".

Thts the key really - people feel abandoned - that their concerns don't matter - and they fear being left in a nightmare situaton that they may only be able to get out of if they can afford a considerable amount of money.

Finally - l don't care how rare pro wind energy people say such incidents are - BUT - to me - hearing reports of people abandoning their homes completely due to issues - that's a MAJOR turnoff for people. In fact id go as far as to put forward the idea that most Anti wind concerns START from reading of such incidents.

Sorry for going off topic guys - but its such a big issue - so many things to look at

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What I honestly don't get is that road traffic creates far higher noise pollution than wind turbines and much closer to houses but it doesn't seem to get so much attention.

• Advertisement

What I honestly don't get is that road traffic creates far higher noise pollution than wind turbines and much closer to houses but it doesn't seem to get so much attention.

As I understand it - im no expert - the major concern with wind turbine noise is the infrasound.

The infrasound apparently can still cause issues even though its not in the normal hearing range.

And its alleged wind turbines produce a lot of infrasound - or low frequency noise.

In any case - the Irish limit for noise from turbines is HIGHER then what the WHO recommends for night time noise.

In any case - what im more worried about isn't so much whose right or wrong on turbines - but actually achieving good outcomes

The whole whose right or wrong on turbines causes issues because those who believe turbines are great - and no issue at all - believe they are right - and opponents believe they are right.

The key moving forward is to aim to ensure that issues people are concerned about don't araise.

And strive to ensure that whatever noise or not a turbine actually makes - its doesn't intrude into normal everyday living.

But the big question is - why are the Aussies setting a limit of 5 to 7 db BELOW the new irish proposed guideline outlined above - and WHY are the WHO aiming for 30 db as a target.

Especlally if as I understand it - each db extra DOUBLES noise

And where does 42 db actually come from - who proposed it - and how has it being validated as safe/problem free - if its ABOVE WHO recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Old diesel wrote: »
    Especlally if as I understand it - each db extra DOUBLES noise
    More like 3 dB if it's power related. But human hearing works more on a logarithmic scale, so something 3 dB louder won't appear twice as loud.

As I understand it - im no expert - the major concern with wind turbine noise is the infrasound.

The infrasound apparently can still cause issues even though its not in the normal hearing range.

And its alleged wind turbines produce a lot of infrasound - or low frequency noise.
    OK so can you link to the WHO paper talking about infrasound and explaining the problem with it?

And fclausen, are the limits you're talking about above infrasound levels or all sound levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

But the big question is - why are the Aussies setting a limit of 5 to 7 db BELOW the new irish proposed guideline outlined above…
    Because they can afford to? There’s a lot of open space in Oz. Besides, a difference of 5 – 7 dB would be virtually imperceptible.
    …and WHY are the WHO aiming for 30 db as a target.
    30 dB is what you’d expect a sound meter to read in a completely “quiet” room. For the purposes of comparison, recording studios tend to aim for 20 dB as their target background noise.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Because they can afford to? There’s a lot of open space in Oz. Besides, a difference of 5 – 7 dB would be virtually imperceptible.
    30 dB is what you’d expect a sound meter to read in a completely “quiet” room. For the purposes of comparison, recording studios tend to aim for 20 dB as their target background noise.

My point was mainly about the WHO - im at a loss as to why WHO are saying one thing - BUT we in Ireland are going higher.

The point is - people are more likely to be comfortable with a WHO target - but less comfy with a figure pulled out of someones backside to ensure enough wind farms can be built

TheChizler wrote: »
    More like 3 dB if it's power related. But human hearing works more on a logarithmic scale, so something 3 dB louder won't appear twice as loud.

Those who want understand distance law please read http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distancelaw.htm

for loudness comparisons then take a look at
    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm

Macha - this is where a lot of people don't understand. Road traffic or even air traffic (I lived under the approach of Heathrow for a number of years) all benefit from a couple of characteristics which wind farms do not

1) the "Doppler Effect"
    2) quieter at night
    3) a degree of predictability
    4) gaps in the traffic

Wind farms
    1) do not move !!
    2) are perceived as louder at night as the background masking noises disappear (not such thing as a Silent Night if you live near a wind far)
    3) have no specific rhythm - and limited predictability
    4) are omni present, continuous, and inescapable

If you do not believe the above then go and stay near a wind farm - not for a hour, or a few hours or even a day - but for a week or a month or a year
    OK so can you link to the WHO paper talking about infrasound and explaining the problem with it?

I would like to think http://nieuwerustnoisewatch.org/wp-content/documents/peer-reviewed-articles/15-B-M%20J-Noise.pdf report

written by
    Christopher D Hanning, honorary consultant in sleep medicine, Sleep Disorders Service, University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK

Alun Evans, professor emeritus, Centre for Public Health, Queen’s University of Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science B, Belfast, UK

would have some degree of credibility

another good pearson to search for is Professor White
    http://oto2.wustl.edu/cochlea/wind.html
    And fclausen, are the limits you're talking about above infrasound levels or all sound levels?
    This again is where there is lot of misunderstanding - what I have shown is dB(A) calc which would filter out low frequency and infrasound. A better guide would be a dB(C) or dB(G) graph correctly interpreted

hope that gives some answers

I wanted to further expand on that unpredictable noise level - in the attached you will see an example of amplitude modulation - a pulsating effect of some 10dB(A) variation every second (try that with you high-fi while it plays a monotone signal at low frequency)

This effect is caused by a number of factors but here it was recorded at low wind speeds (around 4m/s at hub height) and was the turbine "gasping" to try and gain traction through the air

Also note the time - it was 3am in the morning at 1300 meters (1 mile) from the wind farm

The background noise level at this time & wind speed would be of the order of 25dB(A) so what you are seeing is a pulse effect of 10dB(A) when its very quiet otherwise

341124.png

Thank you for that Francis

I suppose the question is - what should the actual noise levels be.

Tbh - I feel the aim isn't okay - aim for a set figure.

But work towards an outcome for Residents living nearby - that's problem free for the residents.

So what sort of figures do we need to aim for - to achieve problem free living for Residents living near wind turbines.

the Setback distance is a pretty controversial issue - and a difficult one to resolve if we insist on doing what wind developers want us to do - rather then actually looking at peoples need to live.

theres a definite argument to be made for moving away from large numbers of one off houses and moving towards settlements of towns and villages.

But we haven't started planning for this - because weve yet to grasp the idea that while low carbon is vital - people actually have to LIVE as well.

Hang on, first its the WHO or nobody. Now you've posted a different source. I can find plenty of sources that dispute the WHO limits on noise.

And I'm finding it hard to believe you wrote that wind turbines have no rhythm

Hang on, first its the WHO or nobody. Now you've posted a different source. I can find plenty of sources that dispute the WHO limits on noise.

And I'm finding it hard to believe you wrote that wind turbines have no rhythm

Perhaps before I answer and get dragged down a role of semantics I should ask you to vote - what limit would you thinks is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

fclauson wrote: »
    Macha - this is where a lot of people don't understand. Road traffic or even air traffic (I lived under the approach of Heathrow for a number of years) all benefit from a couple of characteristics which wind farms do not

1) the "Doppler Effect"
    2) quieter at night
    3) a degree of predictability
    4) gaps in the traffic

Wind farms
    1) do not move !!
    2) are perceived as louder at night as the background masking noises disappear (not such thing as a Silent Night if you live near a wind far)
    3) have no specific rhythm - and limited predictability
    4) are omni present, continuous, and inescapable
    How is the Doppler effect a "benefit"? How is road traffic quieter at night? How is road traffic more predictable than noise from a wind turbine? How are wind turbines perceived as being louder at night while road traffic is not? What kind of wind turbine does not have a specific rhythm? You say gaps in the traffic are a good thing, then in your next post state that periodic variations in amplitude in the noise from a wind turbine are a bad thing - that's a contradiction.

Your argument is making very little sense.

Now something else just occurred to me

What should the recommended wind nois levels be from a wind farm.

When I was thinking WHO limits - I was thinking AT THE HOME - not at the farm itself.

The vital thing - is - ensuring that wind turbines are problem free - so if there is no noise issues for the residents at 40 db - then that's okay.

If there is noise intrusion - we have an issue.

Whats important isn't what the studies say - whether that's positive or negative - but the actual real world outcome for the residents - and what impact the wind farm has on their living.

Clearly you may not be able to avoid all issues - hence why I mention the need to move away from large numbers of people living in one off houses.

But that needs to be planned for too - and is unlikely to happen overnight given that we struggle to have enough houses for those in need at the moment - for perspective on the wider housing issue - theres over 8,000 on the housing waiting list in Cork City council afaik.

Its a tricky issue - but part of the cause of the issue is the sloppiness of the actual wind industry itself - and Irish policymakers

How is the Doppler effect a "benefit"? How is road traffic quieter at night? How is road traffic more predictable than noise from a wind turbine? How are wind turbines perceived as being louder at night while road traffic is not? What kind of wind turbine does not have a specific rhythm? You say gaps in the traffic are a good thing, then in your next post state that periodic variations in amplitude in the noise from a wind turbine are a bad thing - that's a contradiction.

Have you voted as yet - will answer you questions once you have

No Francis is making sense

Road traffic noise is less at night because theres LESS traffic at night.

Wind turbines are perceived as noisier at night because of less impact from OTHER noises. This is also why people perceive them more in a rural environment because a rural environment is GENERALLY quieter then a city environment.

Gaps in the traffic may be longer - depending on where you are of course - and the turbine noise seems from Francis's graph above to have more impact over a SHORTER period of time.

Do note that hes showing changes of 10 db over an incrediably short period of time - seconds - AND ITS CONSTANT.

The constant aspect of the noise is a major concern raised by those with issues. A jet plane flys over - it comes and goes quickly - and is gone.

But the wind turbine noise is there in the background.

A TD - John Halligan I think - went down to meet residents in his area (Waterford) who had issues with the local wind farm.

He made the comment - that the noise HE NOTICED while in the residents homes was like having a tractor running 24/7 in the background.

That's the key thing the TD actually noticed the issue HIMSELF

He was NOT impressed

https://www.facebook.com/johnhalliganwaterford/posts/796506477080054

• Advertisement

Look lads we are going around in circles here - and I apologies for that.

My only interest in this whole thing - is that I want as many communities as possible to be able to continue as communities - and for Rural Ireland as a place of communities to have the best future possible.

I want to see the energy solutions planned as much as possible to allow this

I want to plan for peoples living - heck I even accept that we need to move away from one off housing in many cases to help drive change where its NEEDED.

But people still need to live and that must be planned for

to give you good for thought (an remember wind farm noise in constant and NOT LIKE ROAD TRAFFIC which comes and go which each vehicle)

This is a live situation - local residents are being inflicted with a 3 to 9 db(A) increase over background noise

AND THIS IS NOT EVEN THE MAX PERMITTED UNDER THE NEW GUIDELINES

which could permit 15dB(A) increase

Wind farm noise is typically measured in L90 where as road traffic is measured in L10

341160.jpg

Top notch post as always Francis

Now lets look at a motorway

See how quiet night times are compared to what is being permitted in a rural location in Ireland

So the comment its like a road is nonsense

taken from http://www.nra.ie/environment/new-noise-good-practice-g/GPG_SB_20122013.pdf

341163.jpg

Am I reading it right - that in early hours - the recorded motorway noise is as low as 30 db

The question id put forward - is how close to the motorway is that noise measurement taken????

IF something is 500 metres away - it should be possible to keep noise levels lower then if your literally right next to it.

Now to illustrate how ANOTHER industry responds to noise RULES - Daf the truck manufacturer just bought out a new silent version of a couple of its trucks.

Why???? - because there are restrictions in some cities for deliveries at night due to noise - the quieter truck is able to operate in the restricted times because its quieter.

If Daf were a wind developer - theyd whine and moan about how terrible it is that we have these rules - instead - its an OPPORTUNITY to develop new solutions.

3.66 Figure 3.3 shows the results of measurements taken at a location which is a short distance from a motorway. It shows a very different daily variation of noise levels from the commuter route, typical of a steady flow of long-distance traffic. A clear dip is seen in the small hours, but there are no morning and evening peaks. LAeq readings are consistently around 3dB below the LA10 readings, as on the commuter route, except for an unexplained peak at 08:00 and a smaller one at 10:00. These do not affect either the LA10 or LA90 readings, so must be short, intense events, possibly the local resident leaving and returning by car, and passing close to the microphone. Clearly, this event would not be included in a noise model and should be excluded from any validation of a noise prediction for this location.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its time for wind energy to get with the programme in my view and see about reducing the amount of land required for wind energy.
    Just a reminder that wind farms only take up the space required for the plinth.

All the other land can still be used for agriculture, forestry or tourism.

As someone who lives in an urban area you'll need to do a lot of convincing to get me to subsidise a level of background noise I won't have. Wasn't the statistic something like 40:1 in terms of costs of providing services to rural areas , mainly paid for by urbanites ?

Regarding the noise levels, can someone compare them to what urban dwellers have to put up ? I've lived in villages where nightly traffic noise interfered with sleep.

Just to remind people that wind turbine noise is only an annoyance, it's not remotely close to what most of us put up with every day.
    From the World Health Organization
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31661789
    The WHO's safe listening times are:

85 dB - the level of noise inside a car - eight hours
    90 dB - lawn mower - two hours 30 minutes
    95 dB - an average motorcycle - 47 minutes
    100 dB - car horn or underground train - 15 minutes
    105 dB - mp3 player at maximum volume - four minutes
    115 dB - loud rock concert - 28 seconds
    120 dB - vuvuzela or sirens - nine seconds

LOL at background +5dB

http://dublincitydevel.sonitussystems.com/
    The latest averaged #noise level at Ballyfermot Civic Centre is 57.38 dB(A).

Noise maps http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment/noise-maps-and-action-plans
    noise-map.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Am I reading it right - that in early hours - the recorded motorway noise is as low as 30 db

The question id put forward - is how close to the motorway is that noise measurement taken????

IF something is 500 metres away - it should be possible to keep noise levels lower then if your literally right next to it.

Now to illustrate how ANOTHER industry responds to noise RULES - Daf the truck manufacturer just bought out a new silent version of a couple of its trucks.

Why???? - because there are restrictions in some cities for deliveries at night due to noise - the quieter truck is able to operate in the restricted times because its quieter.

If Daf were a wind developer - theyd whine and moan about how terrible it is that we have these rules - instead - its an OPPORTUNITY to develop new solutions.

To follow your logic motorways , n roads and R roads would be shut down in the evenings -and re-open to traffic at 7 ish -
    Incidentally 30- 40 % of fuel used in the country passes within 50 meters of bedroom window - if that has to travel during office hours then expect your diesel to increase in price - the trucks start at about 3am- I don't really notice it - never heard any complaints from the thousands of people in the area that the trucks pass - ( whitegate- aghada- Rostellan- saleen and ballinacurra villages before they hit the dual carraigeway)-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

from your post

You have fallen in to the trap of not understanding noise descriptors

LDEN is a specific calculation which is not easy to equate to L90 used to measure wind farms

take a read of https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/ldn-calculator.asp

also see http://t1.services.defra.gov.uk/wps/portal/noise/help

The day, evening, night level, Lden is a logarithmic composite of the Lday, Levening, and Lnight levels but with 5 dB(A) being added to the Levening value and 10 dB(A) being added to the Lnight value.

So going back to you noise map most of the areas annotated in your town setting would be QUIETER than the noise experienced near a wind farm at night !!

You have also given examples of acceptable WHO limits - remember if you live near a wind farm 8hrs of noise would be ok - but its not like that - its 25x7x365 (dependent on wind) so again it does not take into account cumulative effect - let alone using the Lden calculation to give greater protection at night

Turning to the method used to provide the noise measurement levels is also skewed towards the wind farm - for example why when calculating the noise levels is wind speed at the measurement site not used (its used from a standardized 10M wind speed at he turbine location) . I have data where at hub height it was 8m/s (about the speed where max noise is produced) and at local dwellings it was close to zero.

Additionally when you are (as I am 240ft (turbine height) + 450 ft (hill height) below the hub of the turbine you zilch sound absorption by the ground.

Finally the prediction model for wind turbines does not work - at my site I should receive around 36dB(A)Laeq or 33dB(A) MAXIMIUM - but this is not the case we have plots where the measurements are around 36dB(A)L90 - 3db about the prediction.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    To follow your logic motorways , n roads and R roads would be shut down in the evenings -and re-open to traffic at 7 ish -
    Incidentally 30- 40 % of fuel used in the country passes within 50 meters of bedroom window - if that has to travel during office hours then expect your diesel to increase in price - the trucks start at about 3am- I don't really notice it - never heard any complaints from the thousands of people in the area that the trucks pass - ( whitegate- aghada- Rostellan- saleen and ballinacurra villages before they hit the dual carraigeway)-

Please look at the NRA graph I posted - a truck passing would cause a large L10 event a moderate Laeq measurement but probably no movement on an L90 measurement.

Did you know that if you used the measurement methods currently used to measure wind farm noise and you had a Harrier Jump Jet start up and depart in front of you it would not be detected by the noise measurement descriptor (L90) used to measure wind farm.

Fancy that 100dB+ right in front of you and the methods used to measure a wind farm would ignore it.

This brings me back the amplitude modulation chart I posted - those pulses sent out by the wind farm are ignored by the noise descriptor used to measure wind farm noise - now how convenient is that !!

Advertisement