Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swearing/Cursing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheOtherMan

RayM wrote: »
    It's a true sign of a lack of cunting vocabulary.

So sue me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm always suspicious of people who don't swear and even more so if they avoid it because they think it's somehow "dirty" or uncouth.

It's cathartic, colourful, often creative and as much a part of how we communicate as any of the other noises we squeeze out of our faces.

Those who think it's beneath them always strike me as people who are incredibly boring, have very little capacity to think about anything other than trivia and take themselves far too seriously.

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm always suspicious of people who don't swear and even more so if they avoid it because they think it's somehow "dirty" or uncouth.

It's cathartic, colourful, often creative and as much a part of how we communicate as any of the other noises we squeeze out of our faces.

Those who think it's beneath them always strike me as people who are incredibly boring, have very little capacity to think about anything other than trivia and take themselves far too seriously.

I toatally agree. When someone says 'i dont swear' most of the time that is probably a lie right there. Then you get the impression that they are boring.. And they care too much about what peoples opinion of them would be. Life is too short, especially for something as trivial as saying a few swear words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

McChubbin wrote: »
    I'm a respectable, intelligent and classy lady who likes to say "F'UCK" a lot.

You only say it.

Sure thats no use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I find that a well placed swear word should pass by almost unnoticed. The problem starts where every second word of an article or a conversation is a swear word. It just destroys the art of good swearing. It's something akin to using rhyming slang.

• Advertisement

May the devil **** you.:)

Seem like a lack of manners should be another subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I think I swear because I can't find the wordsquicklyenoughwhenI'm****ingsayinkjbkejbclcnlknclnclknrelfnvb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I have no problem with it at all. I think you can use most words but it is how you say them and in what context.

Ive heard that people who curse, for example if they hurt themselves, that they experience less pain. If that's the case, I am literally going to be like that kid from the exorcist when im in labour with my baby in a few months time :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Everyone swears. The trick is knowing where swearing is, and isn't, acceptable. There's nothing more embarrassing that being in a nice restaurant or somewhere that there are children and some gouger is effing and blinding at the top of their voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I.e children, the elderly ect..

The elderly? I'm curious who else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Swearing is necessary, it is liberating. If something is irritating the f*ck out of me, I have a good ranty curse about it and the tension just floats away. I can be very passionate about some things and a lot of the time I express myself with a curse or two.

I swear a lot, but I know when to not swear. I think I agree with the statement in the OP. I think that when someone is lying, they would speak more carefully and deliberately.

I wouldn't say I don't trust someone who doesn't swear. I quite admire it actually. It shows self control. I'd probably shock them, though. C*nt is one of my favourite words and I use it quite a bit in selected company.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The elderly? I'm curious who else.

Children :)

Advertisement