Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Time Snacks

Options
  • 03-03-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Ok, I work nights and when I get in I am finding that I am grabbing the easiest thing be it a slice of cake in the fridge or a bag of crisps or a few peanuts in the press etc etc, this has to stop. What are good snacks, small but tasty. Easy but quick. The last thing I want to do is prepare things in advance and they dont taste great then or leave and prepare when home as it wont happen. Id typically have breakfast, dinner around 2pm and tea - be it an omelette, sandwich, pasta etc.....so when Id get in from work I would be hungry. I could have a yogurt and mug of tea on a break in work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

bag of mixed raw nuts.
    Raisins
    carrot batons plus a tub of hummus is well tasty also

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dobad wrote: »
    Ok, I work nights and when I get in I am finding that I am grabbing the easiest thing be it a slice of cake in the fridge or a bag of crisps or a few peanuts in the press etc etc, this has to stop. What are good snacks, small but tasty. Easy but quick. The last thing I want to do is prepare things in advance and they dont taste great then or leave and prepare when home as it wont happen. Id typically have breakfast, dinner around 2pm and tea - be it an omelette, sandwich, pasta etc.....so when Id get in from work I would be hungry. I could have a yogurt and mug of tea on a break in work

When do you eat during the day/night and what do you have?

The answer may well be in what you're having rather than what the best snacks are.

Losing the cake and crisps from the house will help.

Fruit, small amount of nuts (not bags of salted or chocolate-covered nuts), Greek yoghurt are some options though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

more eggs, bigger dinner, tin of tuna mixed up with some mayo, nuts&raisins mixed into greek yogurt

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've found freezing red grapes for an hour (or longer) to be quite nice. I stick them in freezer bags and bring them to college and go down a treat. Not too filling but as mentioned above, carrot sticks and hummus is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

Thanks all very much for the replies. Typical day is breakfast which could be corn flakes or Weetabix and mug of tea. Then dinner would be potatoe, veg and a meat, I alter the meat, white meat, fish, red meat etc. Then tea would be a white bread sandwich but more recently I've substituted white bread to brown batch, or an omlette or scrambled egg.

I will def try some of those snack options though thanks v much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Could you change around the timings of your meals? I find if I eat dinner late, just before going into work, that I stay fuller for longer and it reduces the snacking. I tend to have lunch when I get up the next day, dinner before I go in and 'breakfast' (scrambled egg, toast etc) while at work and that works for me

I had dinner now this eve and I'm going to see if it curtails my snacking when home, so hopefully will all help
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skeletor145

cottage cheese and a scoop of whey protein

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Thanks all very much for the replies. Typical day is breakfast which could be corn flakes or Weetabix and mug of tea. Then dinner would be potatoe, veg and a meat, I alter the meat, white meat, fish, red meat etc. Then tea would be a white bread sandwich but more recently I've substituted white bread to brown batch, or an omlette or scrambled egg.

Your probably snacking because your coming down off your sugar high from your cornflakes and white bread and craving crap.

When you say during the night do you mean when your working nights. If this is the case just make sure you bring fruit, nuts maybe some natural yogurt. If you can access to a vending machine if possible leave your money at home to avoid temptation.

Thanks that's v interesting about the sugar in the cereal and craving crap etc.what is good obv porridge is best but i honestly cant stomac it, what other cereals are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Thanks that's v interesting about the sugar in the cereal and craving crap etc.what is good obv porridge is best but i honestly cant stomac it, what other cereals are good

someone more educated might be able to answer this but I've only ever eaten porridge. i think weetabix might be alright but not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Eggs? Omlette, scrambled, a wonderful food!

Great thanks v much
    Love eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stop buying cake

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goodtooth

You're on to a positive switching the white bread for the brown. White bread ( same for white rice and flour) is bleached whole grain. This is high on Suger which gives you less nutrition and makes you feel hungrier quicker :-(.

Have you thought of cooking soups and yummy dishes like curry or tomatoe based sauces with healthy ingredients you love and freezing them? Cook a batch and defrost the night before eating. You can cook some rice or pasta to go with it on the day you 're eating it. Use plenty of veggies for a youthful glow!

Dates are a yummy sweet snack high in fibre. Chuck a few as well as mixed nuts and seeds into small container and bring to work. High in protein and healthy fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

3 desert spoons of vanilla greek yogurt, tea spoon of flaxseeds, scoop of protein powder and a teaspoon of hot chocolate, magic!

Advertisement