Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the Gym to Road Racing

Options
  • 02-03-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I am looking to convert muscular strength gains in gym to racing speed fitness.

I am down to just 1 gym session per week, as opposed to two. I have reduced the weights by about 25%, some load is still there.

I have just begun racing on the road at the moment (2 races done!) and find that the legs are strong but heavy when road racing. What I am trying to do is get some leg speed, suppleness and get rid of that heaviness.

Any suggestions to get rid of that heaviness in the legs and ease my transition into racing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Stop lifting, at least for a while. Stop trying to build strength and learn how to use the strength you have to turn pedals. Spin. Smooth action. Soft legs.

You can back to the weights at some stage if you really want to but for the vast majority of the cyclists who do any serious resistance training at all, it's an off-season thing and one that reaps benefits further down the line once those adaptations become useful on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, taking a break from the weights now. Yep, need leg speed big time. Thanks for your advice niceonetom.

Advertisement