Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you a complainer?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

if you had poor service in a restaurant or the food was bad, would you let them know about it? or if a delivery driver was late to deliver your takeaway through his own fault, would you make him feel it?

I personally wouldn't complain unless in exceptional circumstances where its truly deserved, I resent those who make a hobby out of it, complaining that is.

and in general, do you complain about the ups and downs of life or just get on with it???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No, not unless something's particularly wrong. My mum is dreadful for it, she'll take issue with everything, she once ordered a plain sandwich then complained that it was plain. I was mortified. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Robsweezie wrote: »
    if you had poor service in a restaurant or the food was bad, would you let them know about it? or if a delivery driver was late to deliver your takeaway through his own fault, would you make him feel it?

I personally wouldn't complain unless in exceptional circumstances where its truly deserved, I resent those who make a hobby out of it, complaining that is.

and in general, do you complain about the ups and downs of life or just get on with it???

Unless the service is horrible I won't complain. Except when I'm in the USA. If im being forced to give 15-20% tip I'm dam sure going to get good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

What the hell is a "plain sandwich"? Just two slices of bread?

I never complain, I just soak it up and take it out on the ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I don't complain. I just pay and will consider choosing another place/Service next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

What the hell is a "plain sandwich"? Just two slices of bread?

A very plain one is one slice bent over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I will complain rather than leave and moan about it after. If you don't bring things up with the relevant party how are they to know something isn't right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

biko wrote: »
    I will complain rather than leave and moan about it after. If you don't bring things up with the relevant party how are they to know something isn't right?

Nothing better than having a good moan sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Robsweezie wrote: »

Why wouldn't you complain? You're paying for a service and you actually have a legal entitlement to a certain minimum level of quality. If it's not meeting that level of quality, then by all means complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

Forever squeaking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

thelad95 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you complain? You're paying for a service and you actually have a legal entitlement to a certain minimum level of quality. If it's not meeting that level of quality, then by all means complain.

Stop complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

If I went out for a meal and something was wrong with the food(burnt/raw/gone off) then I send it back. I don't take anything else from the kitchen for eh, fear of repercussions ;)
    I fumed too many times in front of a plate of inedible crap that was costing me not only money but a rare treat, to not send it back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I don't complain about service. I'm also living in the US..so the tip makes no difference to me. Even if I get bad service, I still tip 20%.

You could get bad service because the waiting staff are overwhelmed. It could be poor management. It could be any number of reasons that are out of the waiters\waitresses control.

I tend to give a place two chances. If I get bad service twice then I just don't go back

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Generally, I'm just a moaning cúnt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

No because I know what a job in customer service is like

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I usually just blacklist companies with bad service, no time for moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I'm the person who leaves and then moans about it to others

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yes, but because I waitressed and worked on customer service for years, I complain in a civil reasonable tone, firm but friendly.

There is no point in bollocking the front line staff, they are very limited in what they can do, dont get paid half enough to put up with abuse and its unfair to them, but I've no problem asking for the manager. I'll always give them a chance to rectify the issue, mistakes happen etc, and be realistic about an outcome or solution too. And I have to say, I've always came away with a problem resolved to my satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I only really enjoy a steak when it is cooked "blue". When I order a steak, I explicitly tell the waiter that if it is not blue, it will be sent back. This usually leaves enough of an impression in the staff that I get my steak the way I ordered it :)

When you order a very rare steak, the chef / cook will also generally give you the best piece of meat he/she has :cool:

Tip if you are mortified about sending your wrongly cooked steak back and you would never go that far: order it 2 full shades rarer than you want. (only applies to Ireland - do not do this in France as your blue steak will mooh and actually pooh on your plate :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not unless something is particularly bad. I worked in customer focused/facing jobs for years and I know what it's like to have a customer bitching about something completely trivial and minor, mostly because they think they'll get something out of it, like a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No, not unless it's over something unspeakably bad. I've worked in customer services jobs for years and I know all to well what it's having some-one screaming and roaring at you over something that's a.) not actually your fault, or anyone else's and b.) not even really that bad.

Giving the first person you see or hear on the telephone a going over is unfair and unreasonable and from experience 9 times of 10 the customer is actually in the wrong anyway.

Just count to ten and walk away. Mistakes happen and there's no point in tearing some-one shreds over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Mmm....

But I do complain and complement in equal measure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I have no hesitation in complaining if I feel there is something worth complaining about. I really don't like this Irish thing of not complaining at the time, but then bad-mouthing the business later. It's so passive aggressive.

Last year I had a meal in an extremely well-known Michelin starred restaurant in London. I was footing the bill, so expected everything to be perfect. It wasn't. My caviar blini was rubbery, and one of the cheese served as part of the cheeseboard was obviously unripened. Our waiter was rather surly in that way that only the French can be. Refused to accept that the cheese wasn't right. A quick chat with the maître d and all was rectified. The waiter was made to apologise and we got a lovely bottle of Yves Cuilleron condrieu on the house.

Better than mumbling about it at the time before going home, getting drunk and writing a bitter and semi-coherent rant about the place on TripAdvisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

No. I dont know why but I find it very difficult to do so, even if im totally in the right. I started a new job last week and got underpaid on friday and now im dreading having to go and ask about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Saw this fella on Channel 4 before, An utter tosser and how he had a girlfriend I'll never know.

https://twitter.com/ianwalker1991

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I complain if things are especially bad, I try to be polite about it though. The only time I got seriously pissed off and gave someone a real ear bashing was when I was getting work done on the house, he was two months late. We renegotiated the price when he was finished. I basically fined him for lateness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

No. I dont know why but I find it very difficult to do so, even if im totally in the right. I started a new job last week and got underpaid on friday and now im dreading having to go and ask about it.

depends....are you assertive?? I think it's something you could work on, especially if its losing you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I don't complain. I simply have the staff thrashed in the courtyard if standards don't remain exemplary. Fear is the best way of instilling a strive-for-excellence work ethic in the lower class of man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Only if something was really, really bad.

I find there's a time and a place for it-my stepmum is like her own mother and will complain over *anything* in a restaurant, when we're all out for a special occasion. It makes for a total dampener on proceedings and creates an atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I work in customer service. Complain and complain hard. Complainers get what they want, t&c's be damned. Don't speak to the front line either demand managers, if they don't help go above them. You'll eventually get to someone who just doesn't want the headache. All depends on how much time and effort you want to commit to complaining though.

I do complain if something is bad/broken/not sold as advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement