Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom email server

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

my friend wrote: »
    Is Eircom email available as standalone option that you pay for??
    Not that I know of, but, if like me, you are an eircom BB subscriber with an eircom.net email address, they allow you to keep it when you move to other SPs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

tombrown wrote: »
    Not that I know of, but, if like me, you are an eircom BB subscriber with an eircom.net email address, they allow you to keep it when you move to other SPs

they do? I'm surprised

they do? I'm surprised

Well they did 2 years ao when I switched, and it saved me a lot of hassle as we had always had access via eircom in the past and so heavily used the email addresses, so I wasnt looking forward to updating them. I guess at some stage we need to move to something more portable like gmail, but the longer I can defer that pain the better :)

Well they did 2 years ao when I switched, and it saved me a lot of hassle as we had always had access via eircom in the past and so heavily used the email addresses, so I wasnt looking forward to updating them. I guess at some stage we need to move to something more portable like gmail, but the longer I can defer that pain the better :)

I think you gained from their incompetence for 2 years. Can't see why they'd provide a service to a non customer so I checked their webmail site and found this...

'Please note that eircom email is a service we provide for our Broadband and eMobile customers only'

I'd say access to your Eircom email is gone. As you're not a customer I can't see them helping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd say access to your Eircom email is gone. As you're not a customer I can't see them helping you.
    While you won't get any support from them as a non-eircom customer, they never get around to deleting email addresses once you transfer to another ISP. I have 3 addresses that are still working perfectly OK after 2 years after moving to UPC and I have none of the problems tombrown has. A friend of mine has an eircom address and hasn't been an eircom customer for 4 years too. I have another (paid for) email service that I use, and don't rely on them, so if they're gone, they're gone. As as been mentioned it appears on the face of it to be some weird problem associated with reverse DNS lookups that only affects certain ISP's IP ranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They do support them, with a premium rate number like UPCs "Advanced" support.

Alun wrote: »
    While you won't get any support from them as a non-eircom customer, they never get around to deleting email addresses once you transfer to another ISP. I have 3 addresses that are still working perfectly OK after 2 years after moving to UPC and I have none of the problems tombrown has. A friend of mine has an eircom address and hasn't been an eircom customer for 4 years too. I have another (paid for) email service that I use, and don't rely on them, so if they're gone, they're gone. As as been mentioned it appears on the face of it to be some weird problem associated with reverse DNS lookups that only affects certain ISP's IP ranges.

Perhaps Eircom have become more diligent at reclaiming server space?
    That's my read.

That's my read.
    His email account is working correctly at the moment, and was also working correctly before, albeit with a massive delay on startup. There's no suggestion that the account has been deleted.

That's my read.

Considering indigo accounts from two decades ago are still live, I doubt that its a cull on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ED E wrote: »
    Considering indigo accounts from two decades ago are still live, I doubt that its a cull on their part.

My Neighbour still uses Oceanfree :D :pac:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

As stated above. my eircom email is now working fine; and even with the issue I was having, once we found out what it was (thanks to the advice in this thread) I got it working adequately.

As I am not an eircom customer I dont expect excellent customer service from them, which is why I am not arguing the toss on the Ask Eircom thread where they claim it is not their issue.

Bottom line - I have no complaints, as what I get is essentially a free service from them now.

But maybe I should start moving to a more sustainable email address, as I guess I cant rely on them continuing to allow me to use their email space free of charge

As stated above. my eircom email is now working fine; and even with the issue I was having, once we found out what it was (thanks to the advice in this thread) I got it working adequately.

As I am not an eircom customer I dont expect excellent customer service from them, which is why I am not arguing the toss on the Ask Eircom thread where they claim it is not their issue.

Bottom line - I have no complaints, as what I get is essentially a free service from them now.

But maybe I should start moving to a more sustainable email address, as I guess I cant rely on them continuing to allow me to use their email space free of charge

Delighted for you. Data loss can be heartbreaking

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

For the record, I've never heard of anyone's email being removed when one left Eircom. Although I wouldn't use their email service due to the crap antispam protections and they could cut you any time they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

I'm back having issues again receiving emails. With Sky Broadband (formerly with Eircom broadband). Changed server timeout to 270 seconds, doesnt make any difference.

Access emails through MS Outlook 2010 - email address is @eircom.net

Anti-virus used - is Avast Free Antivirus

Incoming mail server: pop.eircon.net
    Outgoing mail server: smtp.tools.sky.com

Getting following error:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR Cannot connect to POP server 159.134.198.135 (159.134.198.135:110), connect error 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Never used pop.eircom.net its mail.eicom.net, mail1.eircom.net or webmail.eircom.net.

I had exactly this issue on Friday morning; came back later & it was resolved, so I assumed it was a temporary server outage

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LeinsterEd

First post as this issue is driving me mad. Like everyone else I had the issue back in March but resolved it by increasing the time out to 4 minutes. Not ideal but it worked....until last Wednesday 29/07.

Server: POP3
    Incoming settings:
    mail.eircom.net - port 110
    Outgoing settings:
    smtp.tools.sky.com - port 465

I can still send no problem but getting the "connection to the server interrupted" error on incoming. Can see mails on webmail but still no joy with Outlook. I've tried changing to pop.eircom.net, mail1.eircom.net and mail2.eircom.net and all come back with "server interrupted" warning. Tried webmail.eircom.net but this won't connect at all. Any ideas? - I've been using my eircom address for years and while the obvious solution would be to start using gmail or yahoo I would prefer to avoid the hassle. My IP address has not changed recently so I take it something has changed either within Eircom or Sky?

Login to webmail. If you get a site that looks like its from 1990 then you're SOL. If you get a modern enough page then try using IMAP not POP.

Webmail redirects to Zimbra which still looks like something from 1990. Changed my outlook account anyway to IMAP using webmail.eircom.net and its working again. No timeouts and mails are loading quicker than ever. Thanks for your help:-)

That zimbra UI is actually the new one, you should see the old one.

• Advertisement

LeinsterEd wrote: »
    Webmail redirects to Zimbra which still looks like something from 1990. Changed my outlook account anyway to IMAP using webmail.eircom.net and its working again. No timeouts and mails are loading quicker than ever. Thanks for your help:-)

Can you tell me how to do similar - changing to IMAP? Do you still access through MS Outlook on your desktop?

Thanks

Couldn't change the server type in settings so I set up a new outlook account using the same email address but with server type IMAP. Outgoing server webmail.eircom.net (port 143). Once I was happy that it was working I copied all mail folders I wanted to keep to the new account and then removed the old account with the POP3 settings. Working perfectly ever since.

I have had an eircom email address since time began and always used POP3. I can only assume Eircom changed something recently. My other devices, e.g. phone, tablet etc. all stopped working over the past week. I have changes all to IMAP and all are working again.

Login to webmail. If you get a site that looks like its from 1990 then you're SOL. If you get a modern enough page then try using IMAP not POP.

Just experienced this. Got a call from a mate about eircom pop email no longer downloading into outlook 2013 from a sky account.

On logging into webmail.eircom.net we got the old "webmail" interface and no amount of trying to connect via pop or imap worked.

It looks to me like anyone who dumped eircom for phone and broadband services before eircom "upgraded" their email to Zimbra was left of the old (pre 99) email servers and its these that won't accept any form of connection from outlook.

LeinsterEd wrote: »
    Couldn't change the server type in settings so I set up a new outlook account using the same email address but with server type IMAP. Outgoing server webmail.eircom.net (port 143). Once I was happy that it was working I copied all mail folders I wanted to keep to the new account and then removed the old account with the POP3 settings. Working perfectly ever since.

I have had an eircom email address since time began and always used POP3. I can only assume Eircom changed something recently. My other devices, e.g. phone, tablet etc. all stopped working over the past week. I have changes all to IMAP and all are working again.

Havent received an email in outlook since Thursday.

Just regarding the settingh up of a new outlook account. Should the outgoing server not be with my current ISP (Sky Broadband) and just the incoming server being webmail.eircom.net?

Cheers

Just regarding the settingh up of a new outlook account. Should the outgoing server not be with my current ISP (Sky Broadband) and just the incoming server being webmail.eircom.net?

Cheers

Thats correct mail out goes through sky. Eircom won't allow you to send mail through them.

Cheers

With SMTP you nearly always send via your current ISP. Sky require you to sign in sometimes to send via them, best get in touch with them.

my3cents wrote: »
    Just experienced this. Got a call from a mate about eircom pop email no longer downloading into outlook 2013 from a sky account.

On logging into webmail.eircom.net we got the old "webmail" interface and no amount of trying to connect via pop or imap worked.

It looks to me like anyone who dumped eircom for phone and broadband services before eircom "upgraded" their email to Zimbra was left of the old (pre 99) email servers and its these that won't accept any form of connection from outlook.

Nah you have to contact them to get migrated to the new host.

The old system doesnt support IMAP, but the new one does.

With SMTP you nearly always send via your current ISP. Sky require you to sign in sometimes to send via them, best get in touch with them.

Nah you have to contact them to get migrated to the new host.

The old system doesnt support IMAP, but the new one does.

And they will migrate someone who isn't a customer?

Highly unlikely I'd say, but worth a punt. Beware though, I did it while I was still a customer and it took an age.

As far as I know anyone who wants to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement