Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength training for women

Options
  • 01-03-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am looking for advice on beginning strength training, I have been shown how to the lifts and have been told I have good form and flexibility, but I am being steered away from the free weights to the machines in the gym. I would like to just give the free weights a proper go as I find the machines a bit boring and I am reading the free weights give much better results. just some advice on what kind of program I should follow initially, as well as weights to start out on for a beginner.
    The training I am doing at the moment is some bodyweight stuff, bodyweight squats push up sit ups etc 20 minute circuit 3 times a week.
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Who is trying to steer you away from the free weights? That's crazy in my opinion!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Basic gym instructors seem to prefer sticking everyone on the machine. I had an argument with one of them before trying to get her to show me where the squat rack was
    You'd be better off finding a trainer who can teach you the weights separately from your gym trainers and go from there

bluewolf wrote: »
    Basic gym instructors seem to prefer sticking everyone on the machine. I had an argument with one of them before trying to get her to show me where the squat rack was
    You'd be better off finding a trainer who can teach you the weights separately from your gym trainers and go from there

Very basic trainers!

OP - I'd agree with bluewolf, you'll be better of going with someone that knows what they're doing. There's only so much you'll get from a forum to be honest on what to do and what works for you. Everyone is going to be different.

I'd also like to know who said you had good form? Was it the same person who is making you move to the machines? I wouldn't be going back to them looking for further advise if that is their advise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Didn't see the bit about good form. If you have done the major lifts like squats etc and you're happy going from there on your own there's definitely programs around you can follow. I thought you meant you'd be starting from scratch. Some women love that "strong curves" one or there's people who like the stronglifts 5x5 and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I started New rules of lifting for women, enjoying every moment of it. There is also support group on FB for any questions you might have.
    The programme is divided into stages and alternates workout A/B, starting with compound moves to build strength and progressing to lower rep high weight.
    I am doing the programme on top on triathlon training so my progress isn't as quick as it might have been with 3-4 times/week lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

bluewolf wrote: »

Have to disagree with this. It's a bit unfair to tar all gym instructors with the same brush. The guy who taught me to squat, deadlift etc works in the gym I go to and there has never a whole pile wrong with my form. I mentioned to him that it's rare to see women doing any sort of weights in the gym, let alone lifting heavy. He teaches classes largely populated by women (very light weights, high reps) and said the classes don't knock a fig out of a lot of them. Despite him telling them they should lift heavier, they don't come into the gym. There are also weights in every program in the gym but the vast majority of women don't even go anywhere near the dumbbells let alone the barbells. There is still a lot of resistance among a lot of women to lifting weights, and in fairness to gym instructors, this might be a reason why their inclination is to machines. Apart from anything else, a gym membership is minimum a couple of hundred euro. I'd be asking who on the gym staff can teach me to lift before shelling out for a PT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Sorry for gatecrashing this thread. I'm a member of a fairly big gym and want a new programme. I originally asked for "no machines, I hate machines" but my programme seems to spend an awful lot of time on them. I've booked in for a new programme, how do I get it through to the instructor that I'm just not interested in sitting on a bicep curl machine when there's a room full of free weights?? I'm not very experienced with weights so I do want to be instructed so that my form is correct...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This a pretty great thread on strength training for women.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056232328

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Sorry for gatecrashing this thread. I'm a member of a fairly big gym and want a new programme. I originally asked for "no machines, I hate machines" but my programme seems to spend an awful lot of time on them. I've booked in for a new programme, how do I get it through to the instructor that I'm just not interested in sitting on a bicep curl machine when there's a room full of free weights?? I'm not very experienced with weights so I do want to be instructed so that my form is correct...

Get a new trainer. It's just lazy in my opinion that they've pushed you onto machines mainly. Minimal work needed to teach you any technique, and it's really not that hard to teach someone to bicep curl propely. I wouldn't be paying for something you didn't ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Deenie123 wrote: »

Ask them why they're pushing the machines and explain your reasons for wanting to do free weights/compounds. I'm not sure what your gym is like but, despite CeannRua's experience to the contrary, many gym instructors may not have the time required to monitor someone learning compounds where you really do need supervision. Can you go there during less busy times so that you can get individual attention? Or book into one-to-one sessions?

• Advertisement

helliwen wrote: »
    Ask them why they're pushing the machines and explain your reasons for wanting to do free weights/compounds. I'm not sure what your gym is like but, despite CeannRua's experience to the contrary, many gym instructors may not have the time required to monitor someone learning compounds where you really do need supervision. Can you go there during less busy times so that you can get individual attention? Or book into one-to-one sessions?

What are they doing then? Are they not supposed to be showing people or advising that they need to see a PT if you're looking to do the movements as it'll require monitoring on technique and whole sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

I'm speaking only what I know on how gyms run here in Germany. The instructors will do up programs, often using machines, because their job then is to be on the floor where they are responsible for everyone who is training. Teaching someone to squat correctly will take lots of individual time - the gym instructor is not a PT. It's easier to show them how to use a leg press. I don't train in a commercial gym - I don't want to work in one either. I'm not advocating this type of system, just saying that this is how it might be in the gym the poster who asked the question uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yabadda

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Just a bit more info to describe where I am coming from I got 6 weeks Olympic weightlifting training late last year, unfortunately due to working long hours and having young children I was not able to keep it up... But it was here I was told I had good form and flexibility.
    I have now moved to a new gym next to work and I train at lunch time for 45 minutes, this gym has a few barbells and Dumbbells but mostly machines.
    I have looked up strong curves based on the feed back here and will give it a go, thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Pemtca has a great fitness log in the fitness forum based on the Strong Curves programme which might help also!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=839

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I love it when im told 'I dont want to do weights, I will grow muscles' hahahaha if it was only that easy, all those skinny gym boys would be rocking arnie arms. Its great you want to do free weights, just tell the gym instructor that you dont want to do any cardio or machines.

The BEST exercises to get a feminine body are big compound exercises, squats, pushups, pullups and deadlifts if you are advanced you can add the clean and jerk. But you MUST do it right. Dont do preecher curls (biceps) but train your triceps very very hard, dips, skull crushers and close grip pressups

For any woman looking for some self knowledge, look on youtube for videos showing how to do it, explaining correct form on a forum is nearly impossible.

5ft tall, 8 stone and can squat 80kg. Look like a model.

Ps I will add, your routine isnt law. Do the olympic lifting you were shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

helliwen wrote: »
    I'm speaking only what I know on how gyms run here in Germany. The instructors will do up programs, often using machines, because their job then is to be on the floor where they are responsible for everyone who is training.

I'm interested to know if people have experience of gyms being run in Ireland along these lines. I've been a member of maybe six or seven gyms and doubt I have ever been given a weights routine using solely machines. The idea of instructors being on the floor engaging with members, unless the latter ask for help with something, is alien to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

When you join a commercial gym you're paying to use the facilities - not to get coached.

So you get a tour of the facilities, and shown how to use some of them.

Most commercial gyms cost about €1 per day at this stage, or less. It's not reasonable to expect to get devoted one to one attention and multiple free sessions for that.

Plus even with personal coaching most people still make a balls of basic compound non-machine movements.

It's an insurance and liability nightmare throwing those people into the mix on anything other than machines.

If you want a tailored plan and personal attention, you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Hanley wrote: »

Or watch all Hanley's youtube videos :D

When you join a commercial gym you're paying to use the facilities - not to get coached.

So you get a tour of the facilities, and shown how to use some of them.

Most commercial gyms cost about €1 per day at this stage, or less. It's not reasonable to expect to get devoted one to one attention and multiple free sessions for that.

Plus even with personal coaching most people still make a balls of basic compound non-machine movements.

It's an insurance and liability nightmare throwing those people into the mix on anything other than machines.

This post really resonated with me - you are dead right I was expecting too much from my €1 a day membership..
    So I joined a new gym with plenty of squat racks and paid for one on one coaching... I was told that I had very good form and flexibility again so it felt like I was off to a good start.
    For the last five weeks I have been doing back squats, front squats, deadlifts, pull ups (assisted but I am close to getting my first un-assisted), kettlebell swings, lunges etc, it is tough but I am loving it and having someone guide you makes you very confident.
    I train 3 times a week, I have not lost weight on the scales but I have lost inches from my measurements since I started and the weights on the bar have gone up every session, I am now deadlifting well over my body weight... I never would have attempted to lift this weight myself ever.. Even if I went to the gym for the next 20 years....

My aim is to now train consistently and get stronger... And throw away the scales.

It got me thinking how beneficial to the public would a TV program be where people did strength training and got measured every few weeks and not like the current operation transformation deal?? Could be an eye opener to a lot of people.

I am looking forward to what the next 6 months brings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

You're meant to starve yourself and do cardio...

Seriously though sounds like you are making great progress well done!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yabadda wrote: »
    This post really resonated with me - you are dead right I was expecting too much from my €1 a day membership..
    So I joined a new gym with plenty of squat racks and paid for one on one coaching... I was told that I had very good form and flexibility again so it felt like I was off to a good start.
    For the last five weeks I have been doing back squats, front squats, deadlifts, pull ups (assisted but I am close to getting my first un-assisted), kettlebell swings, lunges etc, it is tough but I am loving it and having someone guide you makes you very confident.
    I train 3 times a week, I have not lost weight on the scales but I have lost inches from my measurements since I started and the weights on the bar have gone up every session, I am now deadlifting well over my body weight... I never would have attempted to lift this weight myself ever.. Even if I went to the gym for the next 20 years....

My aim is to now train consistently and get stronger... And throw away the scales.

It got me thinking how beneficial to the public would a TV program be where people did strength training and got measured every few weeks and not like the current operation transformation deal?? Could be an eye opener to a lot of people.

I am looking forward to what the next 6 months brings

Holy ****. I'm so INSANELY impressed.

Thank you for coming back and sharing that story.

It really is posts like which keep me here.

Kudos. I cant' wait to see what happens for you over the next 6 months.

...and if you know any TV producers, I'd be happy to talk to em :D

Holy ****. I'm so INSANELY impressed.

Thank you for coming back and sharing that story.

It really is posts like which keep me here.

Kudos. I cant' wait to see what happens for you over the next 6 months.

...and if you know any TV producers, I'd be happy to talk to em :D

:) thanks - cheers for the advice I guess it was like a wake up call... you may be coming to a TV screen soon so!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yabadda wrote: »

I would love to see this.

Advertisement