Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying second house

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mickman wrote: »
    But where is this large workload ?

Sigh.......

Tell you what- I'll put a reminder in my calendar about this thread- and come back in a year or two's time- and let you answer that yourself.......

You've obviously never been involved in the industry........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Sigh.......

Tell you what- I'll put a reminder in my calendar about this thread- and come back in a year or two's time- and let you answer that yourself.......

You've obviously never been involved in the industry........

I never said I had been involved in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mickman wrote: »
    But where is this large workload ?
    You'll need to vet the tenants. Have a ice cold heart, and ignore all the tales you get told of why the need the apartment. You'll need to fix the appliances when they break, and possibly refurb the entire place should someone tear it down. The 5am Sunday morning call about a plumber being needed.

If you get the cheapest agent, they may not know how to do it properly, and end up costing you money in the long run, as they'll get a tenant (any tenant), and ignore any calls the tenants make to them to fix stuff until it's too late, and you have to replace the appliance (cooker, dishwasher, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

But I would have to get the appliances fixed or get the place fixed up regardless of using a letting agent or not

I would tend to disagree with it being a large work load to be honest bar actually getting the tenants in the first place and as there is a shortage of places in a lot of areas even that should just be a matter letting the the phone calls build up and pick someone suitable, and to be honest id be happier vetting them myself rather than someone else doing it.

Apart from that I don't see the huge work load or any really. Any LL I've had has heard from me less than once a year on average and all that ever really involved was ringing a tradesman who would then contact me and deal with me on whatever repair etc. So it's basically no work whatsoever for them. I'd be more involved myself if I were a LL as Id want to inspect my property from time to time a thing any LL I've had has never done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement