Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope and Hook.

Options
  • 28-02-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭

Where have they gone from the rugby punditry?
    Present bunch are a bit serious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hook cried all the water out of his body.
    Without the H and the 2 o's he is now known as K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It can only be a good thing if Hook is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Prob in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Jesus when he feels his stomach. Lost it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

They've retired. They were on the Late Late a few weeks ago talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

cloud493 wrote: »
    It can only be a good thing if Hook is gone.

I hear that,complete sh1tehawk.When Ireland lose he seems to relish it.Pope on the other hand i have great time for,not for his rugby punditry,but for the work he does raising awareness about depression /mental health issues amongst otherwise healthy young men,something very close to my heart.A very humble man.
    In fairness to George his own battles with depression are well documented,he was very open and frank about the dark period in his life,but despite that he still comes across as a pompous old gasbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Are they being wheeled out tomorrow?

Hook said he was retiring after the World Cup.....but RTE didn't get the rights to the World Cup, so I presume we've nearly seen the last of him. Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hook is the worst pundit of all time, delighted he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think they only do Irish games so they should be there tomorrow.

Hook is usually ok, tells it as he sees it.

The recently retired Irish players are reasonably bland, full of compliments for their pals on the team.

I loved Hook's allusions - ie the greatest tackle since Alexander the Great marched into Persia and etc etc...

You won't get imagery like that from the younger pundits. Hook and Pope helped popularise the game rather than just a dry dreary assessment of scrumaging and such which is the norm with other pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Popey and Hook
    The Crimebusters of the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ask someone in the Rugby forum, they'll probably know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hook is the worst pundit of all time, delighted he's gone.

....worse than yer man Beglin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I really like the Hook-Pope-ROG trio.

The way I see it, any of the pre- and post-match analysis has to get the balance right as between technical analysis and enthusiasm/ passion. Today's lads have too much technical punditry but are dry, whereas Ryle Nugent is all enthusiasm and no technique. He's like an excited puppy. I get worn out just listening to him.

So as I said Hook, Pope and ROG are a good balance. Hook talks a lot of sense on his radio show too. Probably my favourite broadcaster after Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mikom wrote: »
    Hook cried all the water out of his body.
    Without the H and the 2 o's he is now known as K.

Potassium?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

conorh91 wrote: »
    I really like the Hook-Pope-ROG trio.

The way I see it, any of the pre- and post-match analysis has to get the balance right as between technical analysis and enthusiasm/ passion. Today's lads have too much technical punditry but are dry, whereas Ryle Nugent is all enthusiasm and no technique. He's like an excited puppy. I get worn out just listening to him.

So as I said Hook, Pope and ROG are a good balance. Hook talks a lot of sense on his radio show too. Probably my favourite broadcaster after Pat Kenny.

ROG was on today with Shaggy and Conor.

Not good, is all I will say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

RTE are trying to blood the new generation of pundits (how I hate listening to Shane Horgan! and how he loves to talk) and the old Guards are being kept for special occasions.
    I didn't see it today but ROG is still getting used to being on this side of the camera and he will always be a serious character when it comes to rugby: he'd sit down and analyse the game he'd just played in, when he got home to Cork after leaving Limerick...borderline obsessive. Conor is enjoyable but he needs the balance of Hook and Pope. There has to be the element of controversy and disagreement to make for entertaining viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hookster calling off his retirement was a slap in the face to all you office workers with no authority to change the radio and for that he deserves immense credit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i love the tension between mcgurk and hook the disdain for each other is plain to see, makes great telly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

That's what I mean. ROG is a great asset for the panel, but the mixture has to be right. Shaggy and ROG are at their best when they're on the same panel as Hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Archeron

Pope and Hook would be a good name for one of those shops that sell cushions and sparkly silver finished crap for your house that nobody buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭LowOdour

philstar wrote: »
    i love the tension between mcgurk and hook the disdain for each other is plain to see, makes great telly
    I don't listen to the Right Hook too often, but I have heard McGurk on it and they seemed buddy enough on it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hook is usually ok, tells it as he sees it.

Are you having a laugh?
    The man has become a parody of himself.
    His eagerness to display his own ignorance beggars belief.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Pope was involved in the Under 20's broadcast last night (Friday). He's a nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Hook is good for a bit of humour. You get southern hemisphere perspective from pope. The premier league from o Shea and the French from dog. You get f##k all from shaggy except the love of his own voice. A royal pain in the are.

Rog not dog. Oops

Arse not are. Jesus I need sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Blaise Bambury

Have to agree with u there Brenny..lad needs more animation and pizzazz..just goes to prove that great rugby players do not necessarily make good pundits !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He fits in much better with Hook and pope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement