Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best debut album in the last 20 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

galljga1 wrote: »
    They built portholes for Bono, so he could gaze
    Out across the bay and sing about mountains

Maybe..
    You are what you own in this land.
    You can be King and it all depends on the view and what you can see.
    And around here nobody tells me what to do anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Whipping Boy - Heartworm.

Almost 20 years on now and still sounds as good today.
    It can be bitter-sweet listening to it at times thinking about what could have been for the band.

Looking at this again, Submarine was their debut, a bit patchy but a few good tracks particularly Valentine 69 and Submarine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It can be bitter-sweet listening to it at times thinking about what could have been for the band.
    It was their second album. Also their 1992 debut Submarine was better than Heartworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Fantastic album, while not a debut (ref Heartworm), "Submarine" was a great album, it has that essence of heavy almost psychedelic rock approach to it, mixed with influences from "My Bloody Valentine". The guitar work on that album is brilliant

But "Heartworm" as a stand alone album completely outshines Submarine, the production and the songs are just on another different level combined with Fergal McKee's monolith vocals, it draws you in. The overall approach of the album is in itself a, "concept" album. It tells the story of the main protagonist's struggles of a dysfunctional relationship/marriage and how it goes from bad to worse, while at the same time reminiscing of the good old days through rose tinted glasses ("When We Were Young") of his singleton days and wondering will he ever feel that way again in his current situation. I've yet to see/listen another Irish album since that release that comes close to matching that album and I'm still waiting..

I can see why this album is in a lot of peoples top 10 or 5 lists of Best Irish Albums of all time. Another band who should have gone onto greater things.............

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Another vote for Is This It and An Awesome Wave.

Also one for Fight Like Apes and the Mystery of the Golden Medallion

And Dresden Dolls' Dresden Dolls

Also, System of a Down's eponymous debut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I cannot believe nobody said the national, boxer is brilliant.

So was funeral though

couple of duds on melody AM but the good stuff is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've listened to Vampire Weekend, The Killers, The Strokes and Arctic Monkey's debuts a ridiculous amount. Find it hard to pick just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Moontorisfar

Fantastic album, while not a debut, "Submarine" was a great album, it has that essence of heavy almost psychedelic rock approach to it, mixed with influences from "My Bloody Valentine". The guitar work on that album is brilliant

But "Heartworm" as a stand alone album completely outshines Submarine, the production and the songs are just on another different level combined with Fergal McKee's monolith vocals, it draws you in. The overall approach of the album is in itself a, "concept" album. It tells the story of the main protagonist's struggles of a dysfunctional relationship/marriage and how it goes from bad to worse, while at the same time reminiscing of the good old days through rose tinted glasses ("When We Were Young") of his singleton days and wondering will he ever feel that way again in his current situation. I've yet to see/listen another Irish album since that release that comes close to matching that album and I'm still waiting..

I can see why this album is in a lot of peoples top 10 or 5 lists of Best Irish Albums of all time. Another band who should have gone onto greater things.............

THIS x infinity no returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Genuinely thought it was a debut.
    My bad so..

(still fantastic though)

Leftism, for expanding dance music by being too brilliant to ignore, with Lydon's contribution on Open Up, and Toni Hallidays vocals too.

And also for Song Of Life, an epic remix of which was the soundtrack to my first and best eccie trip. "They're snogging. And they're girls. That's cool as fuk."

1996, la Belle Époque, edinburgh. The night my life changed for the so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

The follow ups never got near it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Fantastic album, while not a debut, "Submarine" was a great album, it has that essence of heavy almost psychedelic rock approach to it, mixed with influences from "My Bloody Valentine". The guitar work on that album is brilliant

Should have! This thread has led me to discover that they have a new album on spotify: Baptism of Ire. Sounds pretty much MOR Country with a lot of female vocals (maybe Lolita?). No way you would know it's WB.

theteal wrote: »
    Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

The follow ups never got near it!

I refer you to Ian Hislops quote about the Spice Girls.

"'Posh' Spice is clearly a relative term."

THIS x infinity no returns!

That whole second verse inWe Don't Need ...

"Yeah, and you thought you knew me..."

Jesus, the degree of self-loathing eclipses even his contempt for the woman.
    Brutal, and brilliant. I shudder with a horrible admiration every time I hear that line delivered, especially if you hear it in the context of A Natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

sheesh wrote: »

Probably because Boxer is their fourth album!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

sheesh wrote: »

So was funeral though

couple of duds on melody AM but the good stuff is very good

Boxer is not their debut though

• Registered Users Posts: 72,115 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

51iHsR1KJDL.jpg

1614804.jpg

Qotsa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

mosstin wrote: »
    And if you were pressed to pick one........

Kuedo - Severant

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=9884

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Grimes-Visions (Loved it despite it not being my type of music)
    Interpol-TOTBL
    Arcade Fire-Funeral
    Doves-Lost Souls
    Fleet Foxes
    The xx-xx
    DJ Shadow-Endtroducing
    Janelle Monae-The ArchAndroid
    Warpaint-The Fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Eagulls,Sleaford Mods? and ought all excellent debuts from last year.
    Bummed that eagulls gig didnt happen they were on fire at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Band of horses :- Everything all the time
    Kings of Leon :- Youth and Young Manhood
    John Grant:- Queen of Denmark
    John Smith:- The fox and the monk
    Richard Hawley :- Late night live
    Mick Flannery :- Evening train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Is This It - The Strokes
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Up The Bracket - The Libs
    Silent Alarm - Bloc Party

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Is This It - The Strokes
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Up The Bracket - The Libs
    Silent Alarm - Bloc Party

That first vampire weekend one is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chimera88

My Vitriol - Finelines

Very sadly their debut and only, despite regular talk of a follow-up being 'on the way,' 14 years later, still waiting...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the killers - hot fuss

Maybe a bit too pop and mainstream for some of the more refined tastes here but for me it was just a collection of great songs and head and shoulders above their later albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Mr Brightside is generally acknowledged as one of the best indie anthems of the last 10 years. You can be popular and indie/alternative, just ask Arcade Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

donfers wrote: »
    the killers - hot fuss

Maybe a bit too pop and mainstream for some of the more refined tastes here but for me it was just a collection of great songs and head and shoulders above their later albums

One of the best albums in the last 20 years for sure. Indie-pop so yeah it belongs here.

No mention here but I thought The Back Room, Antitodes and Silent Alarm were epic at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Is lost souls by doves also worth a mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

donfers wrote: »
    Is lost souls by doves also worth a mention?

If you think it warrants a mention, then it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Good call on Young Team...an amazing debut album by a band that continues to keep me listening almost 20 years after first hearing them.

There were lots of amazing debuts around the early to mid 90s with many of them now cemented as classics in the history of music. For me personally Grace by Jeff Buckley stands out. It's a real tragedy he never got a chance to follow it up.

Just outside the 20 year criteria but worth a mention anyway is Ten by Pearl Jam... I still listen to it from start to finish every couple of months.

Advertisement