Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Cash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

****, i made such a holy show of myself last night, i rang up my evil-auntie and got into a row with her, but it was a long time coming, better it's all out in the open now

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Are there people who loathe Johnny Cash? Just curious since the OP said "love him or loathe him". I would have thought he's one of the most revered musicians there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Seainin Airgead , not a bad lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

****, i made such a holy show of myself last night, i rang up my evil-auntie and got into a row with her, but it was a long time coming, better it's all out in the open now

Less family gatherings for you now , think will she leave ya anything in the will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I liked Johnny Cash before his music became tarnished by hipster popularity. I'm sure the response will be that music doesn't change because of who likes it, but I disagree. It taints it.

It's like Mic Christopher's Hey Day. Guinness went and sucked the soul out of it for me and I'll always hate them for that. Not so much that I'll stop drinking the stuff mind, but enough that I'll shake my fist at them whenever I'm driving down James's St.

• Advertisement

I liked Johnny Cash before it became 'cool' to like him. His music has been tarnished by hipster popularity. I'm sure the response will be that music doesn't change because of who likes it, but I disagree. It taints it.

It's like Mic Christopher's Hey Day. Guinness went and sucked the soul out of it for me and I'll always hate them for that. Not so much that I'll stop drinking the stuff mind, but enough that I'll shake my fist at them whenever I'm driving down James's St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

catallus wrote: »
    He's already dead!

That's one for the "obvious things I only just realised" thread!

Hah don't worry pal, last year someone broke the news to me that Barry White died.. In 2003.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

The Man Comes Around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I LOVE JONNY CASH! My dads favourite singer so his music has always been played in the house. So talented and such a big handsome man. This is my all time favourite
    http://youtu.be/_YVYczqD2b8
    I read his biography a few years back and don't recall him speaking of being rejected by his dad... Maybe something that was dramatised for the movie?
    He was one sh1t cool mother ****r

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Some singers have a voice that can lift up a song and deliver it. Luke Kelly. Edith Piaf.
    And Johnny Cash.

His cover of In My Life is beautiful...

http://youtu.be/K6oPHBeoB-w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He tried to get Sandy Kelly into the cot, fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I liked Johnny Cash before it became 'cool' to like him. lt.

Ironic post is ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Back in the early 90's, I bought my first Johnny Cash CD, in Tower Records for £1.99. '20 Toe-Tapping Greats". You won't have yer Jessie Js or Adeles coming up titles like that!

(Yeah, I know it was only the record companies, but still...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

eternal wrote: »
    Anyone see Walk the Line. That was not bad and it showed the constant rejection he suffered from his father.

Phoenix was able to sing cash"s songs better than cash himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

That song Hurt is what they will play at my funeral. Along with 'Celebration' by Kool and the Gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Has to be "The Chicken in Black".

Hilarious AND catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Love some of Johnnys stuff, but his gospel songs just aren't for me

very interesting man though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

I like Johnny Cash, its nearly heresy to say you don't.

But I've rarely seen a deceased musician who's back catalogue has been so comprehensively milked to bits, Tower records had a stand with at least 20 different compilations of his greatest hits/live tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

When its springtime in alaska. Oh yeah.
    One of my mums favorites. Listening and singing to his music for 35 years. Honestly do not know one person who doesn't like at least one of his songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Some singers have a voice that can lift up a song and deliver it. Luke Kelly. Edith Piaf.
    And Johnny Cash.

His cover of In My Life is beautiful...

http://youtu.be/K6oPHBeoB-w

Lyrically I think In My Life is one of the best songs ever written but I always found The Beatles version a bit too poppy.. Johnnys cover is perfect. His voice adds the melancholy that the words needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

There was a comment on the first page that Johnny Cash is the only country they can listen too.

Yeah, them and hundreds more when he became cool.

I don't get it. Why just like one in country music?

There's way more in country music that is absolutely brilliant if people gave it a listen to.

Merle Haggard
    George Jones
    George Strait
    Dare I say it, Garth Brooks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Phoenix was able to sing cash"s songs better than cash himself.

He was great. Reminds me of The Doors film in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There was a comment on the first page that Johnny Cash is the only country they can listen too.

Yeah, them and hundreds more when he became cool.

I don't get it. Why just like one in country music?

There's way more in country music that is absolutely brilliant if people gave it a listen to.

Merle Haggard
    George Jones
    George Strait
    Dare I say it, Garth Brooks

You skipped Willie nelson :)

Love me a bit of Dolly.

Country and techno is a great old mix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Crazy Heart film and soundtrack. Fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Love me a bit of Dolly.

Country and techno is a great old mix.

I loved that CD Dolly Partons Greatest Hits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I read his autobiography about 7 years go. Re-read some of it last year.

Always read it in his warm soft Arkansas voice, a voice that rivals Morgan Freemans for the warmness in it.

Advertisement