Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three teens involved in vicious hate crime to be given probation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should definitely serve time in prison. No doubt about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is this for real? If they were lads, I'd say a spell in prison would have been on the cards alright.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Think I'm right in saying we still don't have any hate crime legislation in Ireland. It's about time that changed.

This was way more than just a normal case of assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They denied everything and showed no remorse. Lock them up.

Is this for real? If they were lads, I'd say a spell in prison would have been on the cards alright.

I dunno, the same judge is considering probation for a 17 year old that went on a rampage and smashed a load of windows on a train

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teenager-went-on-train-rampage-after-forcing-it-to-make-emergency-stop-court-told-31027953.html

Maybe if so many people weren't being jailed for non-payment of fines etc there'd be space in prisons for violent scumbags like the above :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

6 months in oberstown house would see them right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Think I'm right in saying we still don't have any hate crime legislation in Ireland. It's about time that changed.

This was way more than just a normal case of assault.
    No, it's not. A crime is a crime; and all crimes are hate crimes.

K4t wrote: »

That's frankly absurd. Is illegally downloading a song a hate crime?.. or stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family?
    In both crime and law, hate crime (also known as bias-motivated crime) is a usually violent, prejudice motivated crime that occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I dunno, the same judge is considering probation for a 17 year old that went on a rampage and smashed a load of windows on a train

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teenager-went-on-train-rampage-after-forcing-it-to-make-emergency-stop-court-told-31027953.html

Maybe if so many people weren't being jailed for non-payment of fines etc there'd be space in prisons for violent scumbags like the above :rolleyes:

long day ?

CCTV footage showed him talking to a young couple on the train before another passenger approached him and started beating him over the head with knuckle-dusters.

He then tried to get away
    The youth went to the back of the carriage, took possession of a shatter hammer and pulled the emergency chord

He then used the hammer to hit a number of windows but did not succeed in breaking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think you understand what a hate crime is.

It's like in the US when James Byrd was picked up by white supremacists, savagely beaten and urinated upon, before he was chained to the back of their truck and dragged to his death for 3 miles. It's a hate crime because it's not just a murder; it's that these people were sending a message, they were terrorizing black people by killing a black man in one of the most horrific ways humanly possible.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    long day ?

He then tried to get away

Not sure what your point is tbh.
    Judge John O'Connor rejected the defence argument. He noted the teenager did not have a ticket, had admitted he had five drinks taken and the judge said the teen had not needed to break the windows as he could have gone to Irish Rail staff to ask them to call gardai.

The boy, who had 21 prior criminal convictions, pleaded not guilty to criminal damage but was found guilty following his trial at the Dublin Children's Court.

He's either guilty of the crime he's charged with or he isn't, and guilty he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Would be totally different if they were lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Or they didn't pay their TV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Or they didn't pay their TV licence.

Yet another person who doesn't understand the difference between a sentence and a forfeit. Nobody has ever been given jail time for not paying their tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Horrible degenerate scum

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Dirty, filthy skangers.

Yet another person who doesn't understand the difference between a sentence and a forfeit. Nobody has ever been given jail time for not paying their tv licence.

Well let me say.. that didn't pay the fine for their TV licence. Locking a person up over a TV licence fine is acceptable to you ? compared to a vicious assault.

It is you that doesn't understand basic differences regarding both of these scenarios.

The pc brigade is back I see.

You say nobody has ever been given jail-time for not paying their tv licence fine, lol you know nothing.

Well let me say.. that didn't pay the fine for their TV licence. Locking a person up over a TV licence fine is acceptable to you ? compared to a vicious assault.

It is you that doesn't understand basic differences regarding both of these scenarios.

The pc brigade is back I see.

You say nobody has ever been given jail-time for not paying their tv licence fine, lol you know nothing.

The sentence is what the judge gives. In the case of a tv licence, it's a fine. In the case of the story in the op, it's probation. If you fail to engage with or complete the sentence you generally get jail time. If you don;t pay the fine you go to jail (for a few hours) for failing to pay the fine. Similarly, if you fail to engage with the probation service, you will likely go to jail. It's not so much a punishment for the original crime as it is for failing to respect the courts decision. If you can find a report of a person who was straight up sentenced to jail for having no tv licence I'll tip my hat to you.

A spokesperson from the Irish Prison Service said that people who are convicted of not paying their television licence usually serve anywhere between a couple of hours and a couple of days in jail.

Source: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/411-people-jailed-last-year-for-not-paying-their-tv-licence-30235625.html

Maybe this should get back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

That's frankly absurd. Is illegally downloading a song a hate crime?.. or stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family?
    I thought it would have been clear I was referring to violent crime. By the way, Downloading a song could be considered a hate crime; a person might illegally download a song because they hate the musician but like the music. And stealing a loaf of bread could be considered a hate crime against all those employed in producing that loaf of bread. Bottom line, you should not legislate for what is inside a person's head. I have no problem collecting hate crime data and statistics concerning race, religion, sexuality etc. but it is absurd to add years onto a sentence because of any of those things.
    Links234 wrote: »
    I don't think you do. There is a crucial and very important difference between Hate Crime and Hate Crime legislation, which I was referring to, and which I have explained above. Hate Crime is horrible. Hate Crime legislation is horrible too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Personally don't see it as a hate crime or anything like it .
    Sounds like an all too average feral teen rampage .
    Teens + drink and adults getting involved usually ends the same most nights of the week around the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

Little scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Links234 wrote: »

It's like in the US when James Byrd was picked up by white supremacists, savagely beaten and urinated upon, before he was chained to the back of their truck and dragged to his death for 3 miles. It's a hate crime because it's not just a murder; it's that these people were sending a message, they were terrorizing black people by killing a black man in one of the most horrific ways humanly possible.

Or when Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom were both raped tortured and murdered by a group of Blacks? They were sending a mesage too.....were they not?

Newsom's body was found alongside railroad tracks near Chipman Street in East Knoxville. He had been raped with an object and then shot three times. The final shot was delivered execution style.

He had been gagged with a sock stuffed in his mouth. His ankles were bound with his own belt. His hands were secured behind his back. His face was wrapped in a bandanna. His head was covered with a sweatshirt tied around his neck with shoestrings.

Forensic evidence showed that he had been raped in the final hours of his life. He was forced to walk barefoot to the railroad tracks that ran parallel to Chipman Street and shot in the neck and back. As Newsom lay paralyzed on the ground, the muzzle of a .22-caliber gun was placed against his covered head and fired. His body would later be wrapped up in a comforter, doused in gasoline and set afire.

Christian, meanwhile, was tied up inside the Chipman Street house of Davidson, a stranger to her. She was repeatedly raped orally, vaginally and rectally. At some point, she was savagely attacked in her genital region, either kicked or beaten with an object.

She suffered two blows to the head and was dragged into the carpeted living room of Davidson's Chipman Street home. Bleach was sprayed down her throat, an apparent effort to destroy DNA evidence.

She was hogtied with strips of fabric from a bedding set. Still alive, her body was encased in black garbage bags and her head wrapped in a white plastic grocery bag. Christian was then stuffed inside a trash can and left to die, slowly suffocating.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/horror-of-christiannewsom-killings-in-focus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I just can't imagine something like this happening to a whole family because their sons gay, I just didn't really think hate crimes as severe as this occurred in modern Ireland
    Maybe I just live in a good area

They said that the number of prisoners who are in prison for non-payment of a court ordered fine, including those imprisoned for the non-payment of a TV licence, is a tiny fraction of the overall prisoner population.
    To illustrate this point they said that on February 28 2014 nine people or 0.22pc out of a total of 4,086 in the Irish prison system were in custody for non-payment of fines.
    However, they said that none of these were in custody as a result of the non-payment of a TV licence

So your own link makes **** of your and other peoples belief that prisons are full of people who have committed minor crimes. Incidentally, the non payment of fines cover a wide range of crimes like simple posession, road traffic offences and tv/dog licence offences. Your comment is even more irrelevent in that the girls are all under 18 and wouldn't be going to the same place as people who don't pay tv licence fines.

The teens in question are being given a clean slate at the complete discretion of the judge. People say that lads would have been given harsher sentences but I don't think this is necessarily true either. Our criminal justice system has no idea how to deal with children of either gender.

What the ? So if I steal a car from some lady because she happened to leave her car unattended, then I stole it out of hatred towards her? Complete BS. Victims of hate crimes are Targeted BECAUSE of certain characteristics they possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I personally don't believe in differentiating between hate-motivated violent crime and other violent crime. Violent crime is violent crime and should result in jail time, end of.

The number of suspended sentence we throw around in this country for genuine criminals is ridiculous. I've been doing a fair bit of research on Dublin's gangland "hotspots" recently after discovering that the area I've been hanging out in with my college friends is a notorious one (Cork St, Donore Ave, Rialto, Dolphin's Barn) and it would seem that in this particular area, the Gardai are well aware of the gangs, work hard initially to bring them to court, see them walking away with suspended sentences and eventually give up trying to contain the problem. And who can blame them? It's like being asked to print a hundred magazines for your employer every week and then having another department shred them all before publication. Eventually you're not going to bother printing them, knowing they'll be shredded before anyone reads them anyway.

Now I understand what people are saying about contempt of court, but contempt of court is not violent crime in and of itself, and in my view absolute priority should always be given to jailing those who commit crimes which negatively impact on the lives of other people in a serious way. In other words, jailing people for non payment of fines may or may not be ethically acceptable depending on your view point, but that's irrelevant in Ireland where we have scrotes getting off without jail time for violent offenses against other people. If even one gang member has to be turned away with a suspended sentence because "there are no jail cells free", then we're automatically jailing too many non-violent offenders in my view.

It's just my view, but having heard stories recently about how lawless some areas are, very close to my college and most of my friends' apartments, I'm starting to become incredibly fed up with all the stories of suspended sentences for genuine criminals, and jail time for bureaucratic nonsense.

Gatling wrote: »
    Personally don't see it as a hate crime or anything like it .
    Sounds like an all too average feral teen rampage .
    Teens + drink and adults getting involved usually ends the same most nights of the week around the country .

Im sorry but if you think an innocent mother being beaten to the ground by three 16 year old girls and having a cigarette butt stuck in her eye and her husband being beaten unconscious is common anywhere in Ireland then your delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Im sorry but if you think an innocent mother being beaten to the ground by three 16 year old girls and having a cigarette butt stuck in her eye and her husband being beaten unconscious is common anywhere in Ireland then your delusional.

It's pretty common

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Or when Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom were both raped tortured and murdered by a group of Blacks? They were sending a mesage too.....were they not?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/horror-of-christiannewsom-killings-in-focus

What are you trying to prove? Yes I also agree that this case sounds like a hate crime against whites but it just seems like you're trying to stir sh!t

Advertisement