Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] 4-Bedroom House Wanted

Options
  • 27-02-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Furnished 4 Bedroom House Wanted with 3 or 2 baths. Must accept rent allowance, and close to primary school, shops, all amenities. No oil heating. Good references available upon request. Please pm what you have with price, facilities and the location.

Thanks

Mod Note:

There will be absolutely zero tolerance in this thread for posters who decide to go down the route of RA bashing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Location, location, location :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

MAJJ wrote: »
    Location, location, location :)

Anywhere as long as its about 1 to 3 hours to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

20784 wrote: »
    Anywhere as long as its about 1 to 3 hours to Dublin
    Waterford, Galway and Belfast can be two hours away from Dublin. Any specific areas before someone picks a place in Cavan?

the_syco wrote: »
    Waterford, Galway and Belfast can be two hours away from Dublin. Any specific areas before someone picks a place in Cavan?

Anywhere, as long as its safe, between 1 to 3 hours to Dublin, must accept rent allowance, close by walk to primary schools, shops, all amenities. No oil heating. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

4 bed on rent allowance !!!

Should be in a 2 bed, lump the kids in bunk beds.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »

Belfast is within the UK., so i'm not looking in UK.

I'm looking anywhere in Rep.Ireland, as long as its safe, between 1 to 3 hours to Dublin, must accept rent allowance, close by walk to primary schools, shops, all amenities. No oil heating. Thanks

Stojkovic wrote: »

Thanks for your opinion! But i'm not looking for 2 or 3 beds

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Thanks for your opinion! But i'm not looking for 2 or 3 beds
    Would you not look for what you can pay for and not sponge off the taxpayer ?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Stojkovic - if you don't have something constructive to add to this, don't post. Your attitude is not welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RA won't be given for a property which would be over-crowded. Council guidelines provide for separate bedrooms for children of different genders above a certain age, so there are lots of cases there a 3-bed is the minimum RA would be provided for.

We can only assume that there is something about the OP's household composition (eg number of children, adult children living at home, someone with a disability, dependent elderly relatives) which make the 4-bed justified and what RA will be willing to pay for .

OP, sorry I have nowhere specific to offer you, but fair play for the pragmatic approach you're taking. Good luck with the house-hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Would you not look for what you can pay for and not sponge off the taxpayer ?

At least the OP isn't giving out about "The Gubberment" and how it's there fault for not having a free house in Dublin.

Hopefully you get somewhere OP, may I suggest a look at daft in the Meath/Kildare area.

Chijj wrote: »
    may I suggest a look at daft in the Meath/Kildare area.
    Daft doesn't allow you to put in "RA" as a search option, as so many were just writing "no RA".

Unfortunately, the search doesn't allow you to enter in -"no rent allowance", as this would allow you to filter out the properties that don't allow it.

myhome.ie seemed to allow me to input the phrase "-ra -allowance" into the "use Keywords" box, so this would be something the OP should check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anywhere, as long as its safe, between 1 to 3 hours to Dublin, must accept rent allowance, close by walk to primary schools, shops, all amenities. No oil heating. Thanks

What's wrong with Oil? lots of places don't have gas outside dublin and then your left with electric heating

ted1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with Oil? lots of places don't have gas outside dublin and then your left with electric heating

I don't know much about it. Is it good as gas?

I don't know much about it. Is it good as gas?

Tbh it's about the same, the Main difference other than one is a liquid and one is a gas is that most oil burners are external.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Tbh it's about the same, the Main difference other than one is a liquid and one is a gas is that most oil burners are external.

But you need to pay to fill the tank in one go which might be a stretch if you have a limited income.

Roselm wrote: »
    But you need to pay to fill the tank in one go which might be a stretch if you have a limited income.

Really? how much is it and how long will it last for? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was once renting a house in Dublin with oil only heating and many prospective tenants walked when they found that it was not Gas heating, many citing the inconvenience of big one off payments and deliveries at odd times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless your living in a city then you'll have to do the same with gas and I can't see RA covering a 4 bed in an area with mains gas.

Or 1/4 fill it.,,

• Advertisement

Too easy for criminal gangs to steal. Happens all the time in social housing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless your living in a city then you'll have to do the same with gas and I can't see RA covering a 4 bed in an area with mains gas.
    There are lots of places with gas. I'd say it available to well over half the properties in the country.

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/About-Us/Our-network/Pipeline-Map/
    http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Get-Connected/Can-I-get-gas/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Cost of oil can rise and fall like petrol, depending on world factors etc. Anyway usage plays a massive part obviously....my in laws have the heating on really high temperature, timed for about 10hours a day from like september to april. My folks might have it timed for an hour in the morning in the height of winter when theyre up for work and then flick it on and off whenever its too cold, too warm. Both have similar circumstances, live in regular 3 beds, all kids moved out, one working full time one working part time so theres usually one person at home all day. In laws fill twice a year, my folks fill once every two years, so thats say 1200 a year against 300 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pasty

We have no rent allowance, we're semi-retired. We buy oil by the week, 25e in a can (and that's just the weeks we can afford it) and we pour it in with a funnel. When we've no oil, we put on extra jumpers...

Good morning and many thanks to everyone.

I will appreciate if anyone no know anybody want to rent out 4 beds and accept rent allowance. I've tried daft, rent, myhome, all refusing rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Victor wrote: »
    There are lots of places with gas. I'd say it available to well over half the properties in the country.

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/About-Us/Our-network/Pipeline-Map/
    http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Get-Connected/Can-I-get-gas/

in areas outside the cities, where mains gas exists, it is available in newish houses only, most of the older stock don't have it. I would guess less than 20% of stock outside the cities has mains gas.

pasty wrote: »
    We have no rent allowance, we're semi-retired. We buy oil by the week, 25e in a can (and that's just the weeks we can afford it) and we pour it in with a funnel. When we've no oil, we put on extra jumpers...

You end up paying a lot more per unit that way.

Far lower risk of having your oil stolen, though, so possibly the actual cost averages out.

However a lot of people who only buy small amounts of oil sometimes tip the tank to try to get as much as possible out of it. This can cause the sludge from the bottom to get into the boiler, where it does damage. So it can be a false economy, or expensive for the landlord. Copped on LL's look for evidence of the tank being tipped, and pass the cost back to the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What is your budget OP ?

Really need help now, finding a house to rent since January still not get one.. I've tried counties like Dublin, Wexford, Cork, Louth, Meath, Kildare, e.t.c, the landlords and agents keep saying no rent allowance, those that accept rent allowance always end up saying 'oh its gone' even though i've been there first in some occasions. I'm moving from Meath with 4 kids. The last one i was the first person and then owner said i must be working full time and i must show him my bank statement, work id.card, pay slip, and references... Really frustrating. Anyone know who want to rent out 4 beds from 2 baths & accept allowance should pls pm me? have deposit & good references.. Thanks

• Advertisement

I'd say a lot of landlords will be wanting the deposit and 1st months rent up front. Getting this will probably change their mind.

Also, AFAIK, should you move to a new location, I think you'll have to apply for RA again?

Advertisement