Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pres (mocks) do you correct your own?

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    don't know how to add a poll. I'm wondering what is the story in other schools with their pres? Listening to friends it differs greatly school to school. We get a choice of sending LC out but not Junior Cert. Seems very unfair some schools get to send out everything and others don't get the choice at all. Correcting some subjects is very intensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

All sent away no choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We aren't allowed send anything out, even if we were to pay ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Sent away thank god. Too much to be expected from teachers to correct them themselves imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Sent away. Would ruin mid term if they werent.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I agree. It's a lot to expect from teachers and it doesn't seem to be appreciated for the teachers who do have to correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

All sent away here too,thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

We correct our own which I agree with- you get a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of your classes and although I had over 70 to do both lc and jc if you're organised you can get it done before mid term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Sent away thank god. Too much to be expected from teachers to correct them themselves imo.

Correcting mocks is a huge demand. And anyway, surely as the real exam is structured and marked now, it's better that the mocks get marked in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Not a popular opinion, but I feel correcting mocks is part of our job.

As an aside, students in disadvantaged schools can not afford to pay to have mocks corrected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

OP a trick to use is just think of the grade you think the student should get and just give them that grade.Then just say they wont be getting the preys back.

Its actually fairer overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

All of ours are sent away thank god...would hate to have to correct them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

theboy1 wrote: »
    OP a trick to use is just think of the grade you think the student should get and just give them that grade.Then just say they wont be getting the preys back.

Its actually fairer overall.

What we actually need is a new system where everyone else tells us how to mark and grade our own students... oh wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I could live with correcting Geography but hl jc and lc English would destroy my mid term. English can be subjective so beneficial to get a 2nd opinion, for teacher and student imo.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Not a popular opinion, but I feel correcting mocks is part of our job.

As an aside, students in disadvantaged schools can not afford to pay to have mocks corrected.

Why is it part of your job? Mocks are extra exams taken voluntarily by students to prepare them for the real ones. They are facilitated by the school, but the teachers in the school are not responsible for them. They have enough to be doing

Apart from anything else, under the current system, you're not doing students any favour by not getting them corrected externally, if you want to truly replicate the exam system.

Surely a school could have a fund for anyone who couldn't afford to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

If you follow the markscheme you're being fair to the student, it shouldn't make any difference to the grade whether it's externally or internally marked. On the point about it being funded by the school if the student can't afford it, surely the moneys better spent on ict or sports or fixing buildings, seriously lads and lady's it's not that big an ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

katydid wrote: »

You obviously haven't taught in a disadvantaged school.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

We correct them here. No way the school could afford to pay in our case either.

sitstill wrote: »
    You obviously haven't taught in a disadvantaged school.

It's been a long time.

Obviously not all schools could afford it, but schools often have contingency funds. This kind of thing should be a priority, if they have, as it is both unfair on teachers to expect them to do this work for nothing and a pity that the student doesn't get an independent marking.

duffyp wrote: »
    If you follow the markscheme you're being fair to the student, it shouldn't make any difference to the grade whether it's externally or internally marked. On the point about it being funded by the school if the student can't afford it, surely the moneys better spent on ict or sports or fixing buildings, seriously lads and lady's it's not that big an ask.

Sure, if you follow the marking scheme, there's no problem. So what's all the fuss about the JC proposals? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Why is it part of your job? Mocks are extra exams taken voluntarily by students to prepare them for the real ones. They are facilitated by the school, but the teachers in the school are not responsible for them. They have enough to be doing

Apart from anything else, under the current system, you're not doing students any favour by not getting them corrected externally, if you want to truly replicate the exam system.

They're not voluntary in my school or most that I am familiar with.

I work in a DEIS school, where there is no way in hell we could ask students for €100+ after Christmas. Our principal is very much against sending them away, due to cost, time and quality. I swap with a colleague in another school, charge the students for the paper (€2.50) and add on 50c for postage. We are both experienced examiners, so they are marked properly and are back in fairly good time. Though it is a torture, I find it good to get some perspective by marking scripts from another school.

I am very sceptical about the quality of marking; examiners are often not experienced, are poorly paid and there seems to be no moderation. This is not doing the students any favours.

• Advertisement

They're not voluntary in my school or most that I am familiar with.

I work in a DEIS school, where there is no way in hell we could ask students for €100+ after Christmas. Our principal is very much against sending them away, due to cost, time and quality. I swap with a colleague in another school, charge the students for the paper (€2.50) and add on 50c for postage. We are both experienced examiners, so they are marked properly and are back in fairly good time. Though it is a torture, I find it good to get some perspective by marking scripts from another school.

I am very sceptical about the quality of marking; examiners are often not experienced, are poorly paid and there seems to be no moderation. This is not doing the students any favours.
    What I mean by "voluntary" is that they are not part of the school curriculum; they are an exercise schools choose to offer their students to help them.

I do understand about the cost, honestly. But there are schools where most students could afford them and those that couldn't can be helped. Naturally that doesn't apply in all cases.

I know what you mean about the quality of marking. A school shouldn't use a company that they have a negative experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

Changed in our school last year from all sent out to internal correction. The change was a major source of contention in our school, not so much the extra workload though that of course wasn't welcomed but the manner in which the change was introduced, basically done over the head of teachers at Board and Management level with no consultation.

jayo76 wrote: »
    Changed in our school last year from all sent out to internal correction. The change was a major source of contention in our school, not so much the extra workload though that of course wasn't welcomed but the manner in which the change was introduced, basically done over the head of teachers at Board and Management level with no consultation.

You could have just refused. It's not in your job description - yet...

You could have just refused. It's not in your job description - yet...

No we could not have refused, we got Union involvement and were advised that if Mocks went ahead we had a duty as teachers to correct them.

jayo76 wrote: »
    No we could not have refused, we got Union involvement and were advised that if Mocks went ahead we had a duty as teachers to correct them.

That surprises me. It's not in your contract, mocks are extras to the normal curriculum.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

There's no S&S written in my contract that I have a copy of here, but we all know how that ended. What is right and what happens can be two different things at time

seavill wrote: »
    There's no S&S written in my contract that I have a copy of here, but we all know how that ended. What is right and what happens can be two different things at time

Yes, but that was specifically negotiated into our terms and conditions. It used to be voluntary and we VOTED to incorporate it.

I wasn't aware that the marking of mocks was considered part of our terms and conditions, when they are not standard school assessment.

We were simply told that if mocks are held in the school we can not refuse to correct them, we were told assessment is part of a teachers duty and this was from the Union. Look in reality the real issue in our school was that this was a massive change in our working conditions which was imposed on us without any consultation. I understand people who have the view that teachers should correct mocks and that it is part of your duty but the reality is that for the first 15 years that I worked in the school and for some teachers for 30 years it was not part of our work, to have that changed overnight by a management decision is simply not right.

The unfortunate truth is that we were told we had no option but to correct them. Sure we could kick up a massive fuss and refuse to hold mocks at all but who's interests does that serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

We were told that students had choice to send them out or not. Unfortunately only 4 out of my class group sent them away, I have 24 to correct and to be very honest I am allergic. I feel hard done by as the other teachers in my dept sent most of their papers away.

I've had them for over a week and haven't touched them, I've never corrected JC/LC exams so I don't know if I'm even doing it properly!

Must try and get down to them today but feeling overwhelmed by them already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ejak1

Correcting mock exams is so exhausting. I have 5 exam classes and have up to 30 in each class. I have over140 exams to correct and one of my subjects has 2 papers. I don't have a choice to send away and I feel so envious of teachers of non-exam classes and non-exam subjects at this time of year. I just wish sometimes I had chosen different subjects, although I do appreciate that there is no such thing as an easy subject to teach. It's just that some of them involve a lot more corrections. I'm also carrying out mock orals before and after school. I know we won't get sympathy from the wider public, but at least fellow teachers understand how hard the job has become. Is there any end to the work that we are expected to do?

Advertisement