Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm likely Saturday night 28th Feb - Widespread gusts > 100km/hr

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A very rapid increase in the winds here in Castlebar but extremely mild here at the moment at 12 degrees. Meanwhile on the 1600 reports Belmullet is now down to 980hpa with gusts being reported at nearly all of the met stations.

Just left Castlebar 15 mins ago, fairly blustery at the windmills on the old Glen island rd. Some strong gusts just outside Newport now.
    Will this be an all night event or will it pass before midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Getting windy here, some decent gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Corsav6, the worst of the gusts should be out of the castlebar /Newport area by around 10-11pm, although it will be a blustery night. heres the latest view from space showing the culprit taking shape just off the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dollseyes

I'm just outside Ballina town and I nearly got swept off my feet.. Sweet Jesus she's rough out there.

Corsav6, the worst of the gusts should be out of the castlebar /Newport area by around 10-11pm, although it will be a blustery night. heres the latest view from space showing the culprit taking shape just off the west coast

Thanks for that.
    Gusts certainly getting stronger now, no window benders yet but heading that way.
    10 or 11pm is not so bad, at least we can sleep upstairs tonight.

Edit: lights now flickering, there's a longer gap between gusts at the moment but the gusts are more intense.

• Advertisement

1700 reports - and just when you need it the Belmullet station has gone down! elsewhere Mace head has a gust of 59 knots.

Donegal Airport would be the place to be at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just back from Westport, and it was very wild out there, power is gone in a lot of areas around the town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

5pm analysis:

WEB_Analysis_png_1724.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Advertisement

over 2000 without power in Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I was wondering why my wifi wasn't working when I was uploading my video,then I realised the power is out here in louisburgh,only 13 % power left in my iPad. Farewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Belmullet has been knocked offline by the storm...

Not really! but no reports at 1700.. Mace Head peaking at 59kt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Breeze even picking up here in the big Smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wind has arrived here in Donegal. Getting rough.

Xenji wrote: »
    Just back from Westport, and it was very wild out there, power is gone in a lot of areas around the town as well.

I was wondering where you were Xenji, it wouldn't be a proper storm thread without you and Oscar Bravo :).
    Its calmed down a bit here in newport, still very blustery but the gusts aren't massive. I expect to see some stronger gusts again before the night is out.
    Lights flickered a couple of times about a half hour ago but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wind rapidly increasing here.
    wind.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corsav6 wrote: »
    I was wondering where you were Xenji, it wouldn't be a proper storm thread without you and Oscar Bravo :).
    Its calmed down a bit here in newport, still very blustery but the gusts aren't massive. I expect to see some stronger gusts again before the night is out.
    Lights flickered a couple of times about a half hour ago but nothing since.

Lights are flickering now in Castlebar, could be candlelit pints tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Peak winds will be over the next hour or so in the northwest, then rapidly calming down from around 8pm onwards.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Crazy wind here near Carlow. Bins gone over, trampoline is on it's way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Crazy wind here near Carlow. Bins gone over, trampoline is on it's way.

Just a strong breeze in my part of Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

its rattling the roof here now the worst wind this year so far direction maybe? ballybofey co donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Winds picking up here in Tinahely few things in the back knocking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Very windy and rough outside in North County Dublin.
    No flickering lights yet but fire lit and candles lit in preparation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its wild out there i tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Getting worse here now it just knocked off my sky the gusts are very strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Incredibly stormy on Inch at the moment, extremely loud gusts, getting a little scary if I'm being honest! Lights have flickered a few times, everything's on charge, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bcmf wrote: »
    Very windy and rough outside in North County Dublin.
    No flickering lights yet but fire lit and candles lit in preparation.....

52 knots at the Airport at 7pm. Not surprised, it really kicked off here in D15 around 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Gusting 116kph on my station. South Donegal on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

Peak winds will be over the next hour or so in the northwest, then rapidly calming down from around 8pm onwards.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

read that just after you posted and tbh it was calm enough and i thought maybe its passed here already, then got an almighty house shaker of a gust and it has been calming since.. im sure therel be the odd gust but the worst of it seems to have passed , crossmolina..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement